U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 10:47 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,199,079 times
Let's not forget, Lakewood is considered the gay friendly/capital of NEO. Dennis Kucinich has his office there. Obama won in a walk there... Lakewood is decidedly Liberal... As for Evanston's more conservative bent, consider that it was founded in the 1850s by John Evans and the Methodists, as a home for their new North Western university. The Garrett Bible Institute is adjacent to NU. And NU itself has always been a preppy, frat/rich-boy, less political/more conservative school -- as opposed to it's amazing, more economically (student body-wise) diverse Chicago South Side counterpart: the U of Chicago... Admittedly, I've visited Evanston sporatically over the years (hell, if you're traveling to Chicago, why the hell would you spend a lot of time in Evanston or any suburb?). When I did visit, it was largely to see a friend who works at NU and we were either on campus, or downtown Evanston. I did see some beach area, but really can't say I "know" Evanston anywhere near how I know Lakewood. I did commute there by car, L and, (one way) on Metra.

Last edited by TheProf; 06-01-2012 at 10:58 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 04:52 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,950,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Really?? You don't think downtown Evanston has any nightlife?
Not much to speak of. Nobody goes out of their way to party in Evanston, that's for sure. Lakewood on the other hand has tons of bars and people who don't live there actually go there to party.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:55 AM

3,844 posts, read 8,783,080 times
Even as an Eastsider, I have to admit. Lakewood is an interesting place with a GREAT bar scene. I've heard by word of mouth that Lakewood has the most bars and churches per capita of any city in Ohio.

Plus the population is diverse -- 26 languages are spoken in the city schools: Lakewood High students' doors celebrate diversity in schools | cleveland.com

Plus there are some pretty dense areas (check out the streetview): https://maps.google.com/maps?q=12251...NKr16AHow63MAg

Old 06-03-2012, 10:34 PM

10,495 posts, read 10,702,933 times
I don't know, I do see some of the similarities between Lakewood and Evanston, but only because I read them here. Maybe it's just me, but I feel Lakewood is just way funkier a place. And Northwestern is a big presence in Evanston that doesn't have a counterpart in Lakewood.

Oh, and Lakewood is way more fun!!

Old 06-14-2012, 06:37 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,199,079 times
The great thing about Cleveland is that it has so many faces, it is unique in its own right...

Ohio City, for examples, reminds me of Brooklyn, NY: old architecture, a gritty old city market (WSM) that attracts a United Nations of races and cultures, street-level shops & restaurants and a dense, pedestrian-oriented feel, esp fed by its heavy-rail "subway" stop; the RTA Red Line, of course.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:33 PM

7 posts, read 17,297 times
Question Crime all over

Cleveland is Chitown CRIME RATE EQUAL JOBS EQUAL GUNS EQUAL VIOLENCE EQUAL WHATS LEFT?

Old 04-18-2013, 11:24 PM

16,273 posts, read 40,658,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Thank you. Refreshing to know someone understands what I'm getting at. It gets annoying whenever race comes up the ''r'' word is thrown out, especially by white suburban or rural white folks. Suburban white kids need to consider that, for the most part, their parents or grandparents left the cities to get away from big, black Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago or pick-your-city here...
Many also left cities back in the 1950s because of 'suburbia' and 'auto-centric' lifestyles and bigger houses with yards. Than jobs followed the people later. Which later pulled out more whites. Than whatever small percentage of whites were left, might have left to get away from 'blacks'...but it would have been way down the chronological historical list.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:23 AM

79 posts, read 221,385 times
I don't think it would better if Cleveland were Chicago-like lol

Old 05-18-2013, 08:20 AM

63 posts, read 75,957 times
I'm Cleveland born and raised and I've always been of the opinion that Cleveland,Detroit,and Chicago had a lot in common but were different sizes. If Cleveland and Detroit could restore what they lost over the last 50 years and start growing again;they would be poised to be mini Chicago's! As far as Cleveland and Detroit has fallen,I still love both cities.Hopefully,they can make a comeback someday.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:25 AM

10,495 posts, read 10,702,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchie Boy View Post
I'm Cleveland born and raised and I've always been of the opinion that Cleveland,Detroit,and Chicago had a lot in common but were different sizes. If Cleveland and Detroit could restore what they lost over the last 50 years and start growing again;they would be poised to be mini Chicago's! As far as Cleveland and Detroit has fallen,I still love both cities.Hopefully,they can make a comeback someday.
I don't really know bout Detroit, but Cleveland, in general, has been doing much better for the last 5 years, especially the last 2-3. I think it's an exciting place to be now. Things changing quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland