U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 01:09 PM

416 posts, read 655,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
"High paying jobs" are most plentiful in the so-called Alpha cities. There is a huge correlation.

Surely you realize that Chicago did not invent the Alpha city designation. That was the Globalization and World Cities ("GaWC") Research Network:

Globalization and World Cities Research Network

It's a ranking mostly of how much global economic influence cities have relative to each other -- what type of business is transacted in a particular city and with whom -- although things like access to the arts, culture, and public transportation are factored in, too. The "Alpha" cities are the crème de la crème of world cities.

The World According to GaWC 2010

Note that Boston is also ranked "Alpha", although it is much lower on the Alpha list than Chicago is.

Cleveland is very, very low Beta, and wasn't even ranked that highly by GaWC until the most recent 2010 rankings.
Uh, and how much larger is Chicago than Cleveland? That's what I thought. Besides personal opinion, lets look at facts.

Ever been to Brisbane or Rio? I have been to SE Queensland, and it's an impressive place. Cleveland does pretty well on a global scale, and it shows on the global city list. I certainly don't expect it to compete with the likes of Sydney or New York, and I certainly don't want Cleveland to become "Chicagoish"...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland