U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 01:01 AM

3,980 posts, read 4,219,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahl_Wrighter View Post
Pittsburgh also has more intact neighborhoods, while most of Cleveland's neighborhoods IN the city limits are a mess.
But this isn't a Pittsburgh vs. Cleveland thread, so I digress.
Really? people in Edgewater (wealthiest w/in the city), Ohio City, Tremont, Little Italy, University Circle, Shaker Square, Larchmere, West Park/Kamm's Corner, and Detroit-Shoreway ... would seriously take issue with this statement.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 01:37 PM

4,822 posts, read 4,507,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
While it may not always be a fair or fun process for the residents who have to move, having concentrated poverty in any part of a city has been shown over and over again to do far more bad than good, both for the residents of the public housing and for the city overall. I think the days of public housing projects, overall, is over. They were huge failures in every city they were built, and having low-income families spread throughout a city is actually beneficial to everyone involved.
It's not beneficial to the homeowners property values when homes in their neighborhood turn into section 8 properties. Furhter, it's not fair to the people who paid for their homes.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:02 PM

13 posts, read 33,273 times
Just had to respond. I've lived in Chicago and have recently moved to Cleveland. Cleveland will never be like Chicago.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:44 PM

3,844 posts, read 8,795,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pritesh23 View Post
Just had to respond. I've lived in Chicago and have recently moved to Cleveland. Cleveland will never be like Chicago.
Nor do people want it to be.

We want this place to be Cleveland.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:06 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,313,235 times
Cleveland certainly shares aspects toChicago - Rockefeller, weather, river and lake access, similar historical immigrant patterns, similar architecture, historical corrupt democratic leadership, longtime brain drain from Cleve to Chicago - but the two cities are completely different otherwise. Cleveland is a mid size city with a small town charm; Chicago is a major metropolis with a unique neighborhood structure surrounding the loop. Both cities have pros and cons, but you're comparing apples to oranges here.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:22 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,220,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Cleveland certainly shares aspects toChicago - Rockefeller, weather, river and lake access, similar historical immigrant patterns, similar architecture, historical corrupt democratic leadership, longtime brain drain from Cleve to Chicago - but the two cities are completely different otherwise. Cleveland is a mid size city with a small town charm; Chicago is a major metropolis with a unique neighborhood structure surrounding the loop. Both cities have pros and cons, but you're comparing apples to oranges here.
Best thing about Cleveland in comparison to Chicago, you have money left over due to a much lover COL that you can experience what Cleveland has to offer more than you would if you lived in Chicago.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:43 PM

4,058 posts, read 6,805,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
Best thing about Cleveland in comparison to Chicago, you have money left over due to a much lower COL that you can experience what Cleveland has to offer more than you would if you lived in Chicago.
That's not always true. In a big city like Chicago there are often better and more varied economic opportunities, and chances to increase one's earning power, that can more than offset a higher cost of living.

Of course, a lot depends on one's individual situation. But for me, at least, the better employment opportunities were not in Cleveland. Chicago was where the company I worked for was headquartered, and that's where the plum jobs and chances for advancement were.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:11 PM

766 posts, read 2,031,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
That's not always true. In a big city like Chicago there are often better and more varied economic opportunities, and chances to increase one's earning power, that can more than offset a higher cost of living.

Of course, a lot depends on one's individual situation. But for me, at least, the better employment opportunities were not in Cleveland. Chicago was where the company I worked for was headquartered, and that's where the plum jobs and chances for advancement were.
But it probably takes comparably more effort and time to earn that money in Chicago than it does in Cleveland. When considering economics you should also consider time and effort lost working, in addition to just earnings.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:23 PM

4,058 posts, read 6,805,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
But it probably takes comparably more effort and time to earn that money in Chicago than it does in Cleveland.
How so?

Old 12-17-2011, 06:40 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,220,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post

There always will be the specialized areas where one would be required to live in a larger and more expensive city to fine (i.e., Wall Street in NYC), but for many fields less expensive cities such as Cleveland or Pittsburgh will provide many opportunities with a better cost of living. Plus with the local economy heading up, hopefully many job opportunities will appear that weren't there previously
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland