Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 03:08 AM

2 posts, read 6,910 times

Advertisements

Hey fellow forumers

There's a strong possibility that I may be moving to Cleveland from NYC.

I have two choices so far:

Rocky River
Lakewood

I know there is no equal to NYC. But I would still like that sort of urban feel.

Have things like shopping centers, stores, activities etc to do near by and doesn't require too much of a drive.

Safety of course is always one of the priorities.

I'm coming from a culturally diverse area, so it would be a major plus if any of these two places are similar.

I don't know what else to add, I guess just feel welcomed?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 07:14 AM

19 posts, read 53,794 times
Default East side!

I moved from NYC last year and moved to Cleveland Heights. The east side has all the museums, more diverse, great shopping and amenities. The west side is more suburban. Though Lakewood is a good choice for the west side. We love it here!

Old 11-27-2011, 11:25 AM

5,959 posts, read 13,074,748 times
I would say the west side of Cleveland PROPER is the side with more intact, vibrant neighborhoods (Ohio City and to a slightly lesser degree Tremont, Detroit Shoreway, etc.)

THe east side of Cleveland with the exception of the FAR eastern edge of the city (that includes the outstanding cultural amenities and vibrancy of University Circle/Little Italy) is the more crime ridden, impoverished and blighted side.

However when it comes to suburbs:

The west suburbs (with the exception of the more urban Lakewood) are generally speaking more anywhere america, midwestern with less diverse ethnic demographics.

The east suburbs however have the more diverse and the more wealthy suburbs in greater Cleveland. I would say that for anyone coming from the east coast, the east suburbs of Cleveland might feel more familiar.

The older east suburbs are very diverse and have large populations of Italian Americans, Jews, recent immigrants from former Soviet Union (south suburb Parma has a Ukrainian community) as well othe eastern european backgrounds such as Croatian, Hungarian, etc.
The far east, more affluent suburbs are something straight out of Connecticut. This is for good reason as that area was Clevelands Western Reserve with town planning/building with a New England look. (IE: Chagrin falls).

Old 11-27-2011, 12:37 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,262,862 times
I would recommend:

1) Ohio City
2) Lakewood
3) Rocky River

in that order

Old 11-28-2011, 07:28 AM

367 posts, read 620,990 times
If you have to be in the Lakewood/Rockyriver area, I would go with Lakewood, but if you can swing Ohio City, that would be a no brainer.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:48 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,887,607 times
You would really like Rocky River. I am currently trying to move into the city, and the westside neighborhoods are at the top of my list.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:10 PM

130 posts, read 299,212 times
In NO particular order:
East 4th Neighborhood (downtown)
Warehouse district (downtown)
University Circle
Ohio City
Lakewood
Tremont

Old 11-29-2011, 09:03 AM

765 posts, read 2,124,323 times
Check out Shaker Heights and Cleveland Heights, both have a lot of character, are close to the cultural amenities of University Circle, and are more urban and Eastern than a lot of other suburbs.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:17 AM

20 posts, read 69,610 times
I moved from NYC. Let me give you my experience here so far.

I'm not the expert in all the neighborhoods, but this is my recommendation from what I've seen: Coventry, Crocker Park. Why? It kinda retains that feel that you can walk out of your apt, go to the grocery story, pick up your dry cleaning, get some food to go, etc. Coventry is all local businesses, and it's a bit small.

Crocker Park is beautiful, but expensive (well, not compared to NYC), but everything there is a chain- but I think it retains the NYC feel the best- you walk out of your apt, there are restaurants, Trader Joes (NO 40min line), another local grocery store, restaurants, bars, shops, etc. BUT the major drawback is that it is WAY WEST of Downtown Cleveland. And you do not want to do that commute if you need to be Downtown precisely at 8am when it is snowing.

Public transportation is a joke. Heathline seems to be good as well of some trains. But I see a lot of crime on the Healthline (ppl fighting, police cars at the stops) compared to NYC. Don't expect to go to one part of city to another like you do in NYC on it.

Rent is cheap, food is cheap, hell everything is cheap. Property taxes I hear are horrible, but I rent.

The roads are beat up and full of potholes. Now not so much, but come winter and through the beginning of summer it will be bad. You know how Cleveland fixes a pothole? Small pothole? Put a orange cone in it. Big pothole? Orange barrel. Even in the middle of the road? Even in the middle of the road. You get used to it.

It snows here a lot. Like upstate NY. If you are driving long distances to get to work (>30min), have a RWD car and can't afford switching cars, or have a job that doesn't give out snow days get snow tires. The roads are not well maintained and also it is hard to keep all the roads clear when it is snowing 1in/hr.

I would recommend living close to work. If you work anywhere near downtown or one of the major hospital sites, AVOID prolonged use of the highways- it's now under construction, the traffic can be annoying, snow doesn't help, and Cleveland drivers aren't the best. I never drove in NYC, but my experience is that there are enough rude and aggressive drivers in Cleveland to sour the driving experience. When you get involved in a multicar accident that wasn't your fault (got hit by a car, who got hit by another car who then took off) and you're trying to help out somebody who got hurt, it doesn't help when SEVERAL drivers drove by and cursed as us saying we're "stupid mother f*&kers, you're making me late!" and "learn how to drive, you goddamn @$%holes!" NYC can be aggressive and rude, but at least if somebody is hurt, nobody curses at them like that. That was just shocking and really disappointing.

Oh yeah, police LOVE speeders. Watch out. I would go the speed limit to work and other common places until you find out where the traffic cameras are.

If you like eating, drop your expectations. No Brighton Beach, no 32nd st, no Canal St, there is a Little Italy, no Paki food, etc. There are some food options and it's nice, but it does take a little adjusting to. Don't expect to walk/drive around and go, "Oh, that bakery/restaurant is new and just opened up, that looks good!" There is a food scene and you will be surprised- I had Ethiopian the other day and it was a great experience. There are some Ohio City places that are awesome, yeah you should try the Cleveland Iron Chef's place. They have some good food around here, but I'm a foodie, so my expectations run higher. If you are not a hardcore foodie, then the food scene is quite good.

Things do do/nightlife- It's no NYC, I'm not a clubber or stay out late, but I do every now and then. One time, I think it was on Coventry, everything closed at 2am! That being said, there are things to do- there are clubs, bars, etc. It's not the end of the world. Relax. We have professional sports team- yes, they are not the best and can disappoint the city yr after yr, but it's cheap and go out with a few friends and it's a good time.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,510 times
So i am also moving here from NYC with my husband and 3 year old. We are thinking about Easthaven in Beachwood...it is updated and nice closed community. Does anyone know anything about this community- we didn't sign anything yet and I would love some input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland