Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 09:34 PM

4 posts, read 7,039 times

Advertisements

Hi guys! First I would like to say if you take the time to read this, I truly do appreciate it. I am moving out of my small hometown in Northwest Ohio to Cleveland in June and I am extremely excited. I was debating between Cleve area or Columbus area, and my heart belongs in Cleveland with the Sports, shopping, and lake. But most importantly I would be able to remain close with family as they are die-hard Cleveland everything.

I know this really isn't that BIG of a move, but for me it is the first time moving out of my parents place and I really want to have no regrets, because the parents are a little worried about their "little girl" in the "big" city.

WITH all that being said, I'm a female in my younger twenties and I am trying to find an area/apartment where I can call my new home. I have been looking in Westlake, Lakewood, and downtown.

A few very important things I am considering with choosing an area is:
1. SAFETY.. top of my list SAFETY. I want to feel safe in the evening if I have to run out to my car or leave/get home late in the night.
2. An apartment that is not run down.
3. A location where I can have the opportunity to meet people around my age.

Also, I would like to add that price is not a major concern. I have been saving money for the past two years living at home with no expenses and working with my degree. I do not mind paying a little extra to be safe and live in a place of good quality. And I do not mind driving the distance to get to my job. I truly just want to make the most of starting a new life in Cleveland.

One last thing to add to this novel. I am very interested in looking into the East 4th apartments, but I had a question/concern.

Is it a safe area in general for a female in her younger 20's to live alone? I'm assuming the parking for the apartments is in a parking garage. But is it safe to walk out to my car in the evening or after dark?

Like I said above, if you took the time to read this, it is truly appreciated. I just can't express enough how anxious/excited/eager I am to move to Cleveland. And I want to start this journey by making the right move (literally).

-just a small town girl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 09:55 PM

After reading similar threads, I have a lot of insight on the neighborhoods of Cleveland. Those were all very helpful. SO now I have it narrowed down to Lakewood and Downtown (east4th neighborhood). My concern with Lakewood; is there any type of good quality apartments that are clean and/or fairly new? I went through a few in Lakewood and they just didn't seem 'worth' the price. Also I still would like to know opinions on a female in her younger twenties living alone on east 4th and the safety of the neighborhood. Thanks!

Old 12-07-2011, 11:37 PM

130 posts, read 299,620 times
When I lived in the warehouse district last year, my sister also lived downtown a building over with her boyfriend. Whenever shed go home at night, she would always have her boyfriend stay up late to walk her in from the parking garage that is ATTACHED to their building. My sister IS a baby when it comes to those kinds of things but that specific situation is completely justified and I wouldn't have it any other way... so take that however you like. I think it is 100% completely safe living downtown especially in the Warehouse district or East 4th neighborhood however I don't think it will give you the same "safe" feeling or even IS as safe as Lakewood. Single girl living on her own? I'd probably opt for Lakewood. Rememeber to keep in mind...downtown is only 10-15 minutes down the street depending on where you live in Lakewood for when you want a night on the town there. There are definitely some older buildings in Lakewood but also some nicer ones (I'd make sure to pick one close enough to where all the action is WALKABLE...Around the Corner bar is good point of interest for mapping). Anyways. downtown will always be more expensive than living in Lakewood no matter how weight it. Hope this helps.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:37 AM

Great point, I didn't even take into consideration how conveniently close downtown was to Lakewood. I was checking out the area you mentioned where Around the Corner is located and it is close to the metro parks! I am a runner so I think I would really enjoy having the convenience of that as well. Your sister is very fortunate to have a boyfriend that would do that for her. I am probably generally close to your sisters "baby level" with that situation, so this puts a lot into perspective for me. Thanks so much for such a quick response, it was very helpful!

Old 12-08-2011, 08:10 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
I would also agree that downtown is probably not for you.
I wouldn't care if my sister moved down there but she has lived here her whole life and knows downtown very well.
I would recommend Lakewood or maybe the Westpark area of Cleveland.
There are apartments on Rocky River drive just north of Lorain Road that are right on the border of the Metropark.
I can get phone numbers for those places if you like?

Quote:
-just a small town girl
-but not born and raised in south Detroit?

This area is very safe. You can walk the street any time of day with no worries.
Attached Thumbnails
Cleveland Bound... HELP!-cle.jpg  

Old 12-08-2011, 03:08 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Downtown I think would be a good fit for you if you are a looking to meet people your age. Don't rule out some of the city neighborhoods either. The westside is chalk full of them, too.

Ohio City
Tremont
Shoreway Neighborhood

Don't worry about the "big move". Cleveland is a really easy city to learn and get around, and once you have it all figured out, you will really love it.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:00 PM

121 posts, read 460,644 times
Cleveland heights is nice, and very safe. They have a police academy there and very well patrolled. Coventry is a younger place, very eclectic. Close to Case campus. East side of Cleveland.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:29 AM

26 posts, read 56,075 times
I really like western Lakewood. Nice cluster of bars, near a broad range of non-chain dining (from indie bakeries like Blackbird and Breadsmith to fine dining like Pier W or Georgetown and everything inbetween), and you're also very close (around 1 mile or so) to a beautiful Metropark/Rocky River/the Lake. It's really beautiful on Detroit on the border of Rocky River and Lakewood.

You can get an apartment in a nice brownstone with hardwood floors and vintage claw foot tub with subway tiles in western Lakewood for around $500 a month, but you will have to do a little hunting (and pay a little extra) if you're looking for a granite kitchen with SS appliances (but it can be found). You'd be looking at similar (re: old) apartments in the Cleveland Heights area. If you end up looking in Cleveland Heights, look to the west of Coventry (or as close to Coventry as possible). A large part of Cleveland Heights, around Severance shopping center etc. isn't very nice.

I think E. 4th is lame besides a good (expensive) restaurant or two. The apartments are likely a lot nicer but are closer to $1K a month. Downtown is where people work during the day, it's not much in terms of a residential neighborhood.

The Detroit Shoreway/Ohio City/Tremont have been branded Cleveland's "cool" neighborhoods by the local bloggers/hipster small businesses/etc. It's true that they probably have the best new restaurants/boutique (in part to the dirt cheap rent for store fronts out there), but in terms of the residential side of things -- is still clearly rough besides a few pockets of beautiful century homes. Give these areas a lot of drive bys (morning, mid day, evening -- weekday+weekends) before you decide to live here. Lots of stuff that looks very cute until you realize what's going on a street or two over. If you move to Lakewood you're only a quick 10 minute drive to all the cool new restaurants in these areas anyways thanks to having i90 so close by.

Last edited by RShotl; 12-09-2011 at 06:44 AM..

Old 12-09-2011, 03:02 PM

130 posts, read 299,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RShotl View Post
I think E. 4th is lame besides a good (expensive) restaurant or two. The apartments are likely a lot nicer but are closer to $1K a month. Downtown is where people work during the day, it's not much in terms of a residential neighborhood.
I whole heartily disagree. If you are a young adult or still care for nightlife and entertainment. There is no better place than downtown. Bar none. It just depends on what's important to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShotl View Post
The Detroit Shoreway/Ohio City/Tremont have been branded Cleveland's "cool" neighborhoods by the local bloggers/hipster small businesses/etc. It's true that they probably have the best new restaurants/boutique (in part to the dirt cheap rent for store fronts out there), but in terms of the residential side of things -- is still clearly rough besides a few pockets of beautiful century homes. Give these areas a lot of drive bys (morning, mid day, evening -- weekday+weekends) before you decide to live here. Lots of stuff that looks very cute until you realize what's going on a street or two over. If you move to Lakewood you're only a quick 10 minute drive to all the cool new restaurants in these areas anyways thanks to having i90 so close by.
100% AGREED!!! You hit the nail on the head!!!

Old 12-09-2011, 06:08 PM

This was all very helpful feedback from all of you! I truly appreciate it. It sounds like downtown Lakewood is something I will definitely have to look further into. A friend of mine and I are heading to the Cleveland area tomorrow for the day/evening to do a little shopping and check out the 'scene' in the Westlake, Lakewood, and downtown area. I'm very curious to see what this Coventry area is like, so I think I might explore that tomorrow as well. Thanks again everyone for all the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland