Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Escape from California to Cleveland, Ohio; green neighborhoods, family atmosphere, suburban areas, quant downtown shopping areas, Shaker Heights, University Heights, Lakewood

Old 09-02-2007, 04:03 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times

Advertisements

...and bookmark it b/c I want to come back later and read up a little about Cleveland.

My husband had mentioned that his work has an office there.

My first question is always, "Is it green?" LOL. Stupid question to many but important to me. It's nothing definite or even, right now, possible and I doubt I can wrench him out of California now that he's here, but...I still daydream, so I thought I'd put a word in here.

I would be thinking more of suburbs than Cleveland proper.

Nice to meet you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 06:03 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,042 times
What do you mean by is it green?Like alot of trees and stuff like that,cause if thats what you mean theres lots of trees in Cleveland.Are you trying to move to Cleveland?If so,try,and put more of a description on what type of neighborhood you want to live in?

Old 09-02-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
What do you mean by is it green?Like alot of trees and stuff like that,cause if thats what you mean theres lots of trees in Cleveland.Are you trying to move to Cleveland?If so,try,and put more of a description on what type of neighborhood you want to live in?
Yup, by "green" I mean trees.

This is still just a nibble my husband threw out there "maybe" "for the future" but I'm so anxious for thoughts of anything even approximating home, that I'm posting about it right now, just to get a feel.

I am originally from New Jersey, as my username implies. I lived there for 38 years. I have now been in southern California for two and a half years.

Neighborhood: I am an old-fashioned girl. The neighborhoods I grew up in and loved had, of course, tons of trees, a change of seasons (I know Ohio has that, anyway!), lots of rain, and a walkable quaint town, not necessarily a huge one, just a place I was able to take my kids and spend a pleasant Saturday afternoon.

I love a community feel, with the local baseball kids bugging you every spring to buy raffle tickets for new uniforms, and school recitals and a sidewalk sale in the summer. (Not that I specifically require a sidewalk sale, it's just one of the things that popped into my mind as a "community" type of thing I always liked to enjoy.)

I also liked the locality of farms -- I don't really like rural, I mean we're talking pretty much suburbs here, but I used to be able to drive 45 minutes and start finding farms and do our pumpkin-picking there...stuff like that.

This all sounds so hokey and like I'm recalling some old-fashioned place that never really existed, but I swear, it did, and as little as two years ago, so...I can't believe northern NJ is the only place for all this stuff!

Old 09-02-2007, 07:48 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Yup, by "green" I mean trees.

This is still just a nibble my husband threw out there "maybe" "for the future" but I'm so anxious for thoughts of anything even approximating home, that I'm posting about it right now, just to get a feel.

I am originally from New Jersey, as my username implies. I lived there for 38 years. I have now been in southern California for two and a half years.

Neighborhood: I am an old-fashioned girl. The neighborhoods I grew up in and loved had, of course, tons of trees, a change of seasons (I know Ohio has that, anyway!), lots of rain, and a walkable quaint town, not necessarily a huge one, just a place I was able to take my kids and spend a pleasant Saturday afternoon.

I love a community feel, with the local baseball kids bugging you every spring to buy raffle tickets for new uniforms, and school recitals and a sidewalk sale in the summer. (Not that I specifically require a sidewalk sale, it's just one of the things that popped into my mind as a "community" type of thing I always liked to enjoy.)

I also liked the locality of farms -- I don't really like rural, I mean we're talking pretty much suburbs here, but I used to be able to drive 45 minutes and start finding farms and do our pumpkin-picking there...stuff like that.

This all sounds so hokey and like I'm recalling some old-fashioned place that never really existed, but I swear, it did, and as little as two years ago, so...I can't believe northern NJ is the only place for all this stuff!
Lake County might be a good place for you.The eastern part of Lake County is more rural,so Im sure theres pumpkin patches there.The western part has a bunch of suburban cities.I'd recommend Willowick,where my dad grew up.Its got around 15,000 people,its pretty small,theres alot of trees there,very little crime,and people are pretty nice there.Like I siad,its a very small city,so its easy to get around,even by walking.And its doesn't take very long to get to Cleveland from Willowick either.Theres many other places you would probably like in the Cleveland area too.Theres a bunch of nice suburbs in Cuyahoga County like,Shaker Heights,Cleveland Heights,University Heights,Solon,Mayfield Heights,Westlake,Lakewood,North Olmsted,theres a bunch more.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Lake County might be a good place for you.The eastern part of Lake County is more rural,so Im sure theres pumpkin patches there.The western part has a bunch of suburban cities.I'd recommend Willowick,where my dad grew up.Its got around 15,000 people,its pretty small,theres alot of trees there,very little crime,and people are pretty nice there.Like I siad,its a very small city,so its easy to get around,even by walking.And its doesn't take very long to get to Cleveland from Willowick either.Theres many other places you would probably like in the Cleveland area too.Theres a bunch of nice suburbs in Cuyahoga County like,Shaker Heights,Cleveland Heights,University Heights,Solon,Mayfield Heights,Westlake,Lakewood,North Olmsted,theres a bunch more.
This is a great help...thank you so much. Off I go to peek at realtor.com! I love to fantasy house shop. (Meaning the actual buying would be the fantasy.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland