Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 06:36 PM

189 posts, read 399,673 times

Advertisements

Glad I'm not alone in preferring days that look more like this:

http://files.myopera.com/BOSOX/album...ndom%20029.jpg

I live in Columbus atm (going to OSU), but on bitterly cold days, you know what I like to do? I go to the movies. I go shopping. I go to COSI or the Columbus Museum of Art. I read a nice book. I hang out with friends and just have a conversation. Would I want the whole year to be that cold? Of course not. But I enjoy the different seasons in different ways, and I prefer to live my life in a place where life isn't identical 99% of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 08:03 PM

77 posts, read 219,282 times
It was warm and sunny today in Austin, TX. I think it got up to 80F in the afternoon. There were people swimming in the outdoor pool, and people outside in the park tossing frisbees and enjoying the sunshine, walking their dogs and riding bikes with their kids.

Come on down ya'll and visit anytime! Lots of friendly people here, and it's one of the few Southern cities that actually tolerates Yankees!

-austin944, Ex-NE Ohio resident and former Yankee

Old 01-22-2012, 10:24 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,895,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin944 View Post
It was warm and sunny today in Austin, TX. I think it got up to 80F in the afternoon. There were people swimming in the outdoor pool, and people outside in the park tossing frisbees and enjoying the sunshine, walking their dogs and riding bikes with their kids.

Come on down ya'll and visit anytime! Lots of friendly people here, and it's one of the few Southern cities that actually tolerates Yankees!

-austin944, Ex-NE Ohio resident and former Yankee
Hey there - former Clevelander down here in Austin as well...yeah, the weather has been sublime. We do pay for it dearly in the summer though - especially this last one! But I'm getting used to that now...Been down here for almost 5 years now and no regrets. I will always love Cleveland but it was time for something different. I actually never realized how much the lack of quality sunshine affected me - it was just what I was used to. Now, I actually enjoy the gray days (and we get our share) because I know that they'll only last for about four days tops, not six months. They are a nice relief from the bright sunshine that we get here.

Anyway, the people who get all flustered when anyone says anything critical of Cleveland (weather, economy, sports, etc...) are just as annoying as the ones being called "whiners". The cynicism, thin-skin and negativity of a lot of Clevelanders can be suffocating. I was like that as well for most of my life until I left. Granted, everyone is different (age has a lot to do with it as) but Cleveland has had that vibe for a long, long time. No surprise really - it's had a lot more downs than ups over the last 50 or so years and that can really seep into the fabric of a city's personality.

On the flip side, I agree with another poster that mentioned embracing the city's industrial roots as it moves forward. That's one of the things I miss about Cleveland: all of the awesome old plants and warehouses. Cleveland was a very important city up until the early 1960s - keeping those old reminders around is important.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:45 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,668,514 times
<--- Visited Austin over a half dozen times. Good friend has moved there.
Far and away the ONLY Texas city I would ever consider living in.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:45 AM

236 posts, read 461,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Hey there - former Clevelander down here in Austin as well...yeah, the weather has been sublime. We do pay for it dearly in the summer though - especially this last one! But I'm getting used to that now...Been down here for almost 5 years now and no regrets. I will always love Cleveland but it was time for something different. I actually never realized how much the lack of quality sunshine affected me - it was just what I was used to. Now, I actually enjoy the gray days (and we get our share) because I know that they'll only last for about four days tops, not six months. They are a nice relief from the bright sunshine that we get here.

Anyway, the people who get all flustered when anyone says anything critical of Cleveland (weather, economy, sports, etc...) are just as annoying as the ones being called "whiners". The cynicism, thin-skin and negativity of a lot of Clevelanders can be suffocating. I was like that as well for most of my life until I left. Granted, everyone is different (age has a lot to do with it as) but Cleveland has had that vibe for a long, long time. No surprise really - it's had a lot more downs than ups over the last 50 or so years and that can really seep into the fabric of a city's personality.

On the flip side, I agree with another poster that mentioned embracing the city's industrial roots as it moves forward. That's one of the things I miss about Cleveland: all of the awesome old plants and warehouses. Cleveland was a very important city up until the early 1960s - keeping those old reminders around is important.
The people who get flustered from negative comments from native Clevelanders and from people who don't live here, are those who can see the real essence of this city. I would think that anyone who is proud of where they come from, would not appreciate negative comments about their home town. It's not about whining.... To me, that is a natural response.

Folks who have moved away (not particularly you), and feel they need a change, often use that as an excuse to move, because others have moved. I've noticed that about Clevelanders. They feel they have something to prove, because they've ventured out. In most cases, you move to enhance your quality of life, not because you need a change. If you need a change that bad, take a vacation!!! Most native Clevelanders didn't travel much to see the world when they lived here anyway. So, of course they're going to think things are better on the other side. A lot of native Clevelanders have an inferiority complex anyway; that's why they side up with the nay-sayers... I say, good bye! Cleveland is on move... New people that move to Cleveland LOVE it here... They can't understand what the negativity is all about!!!!

Old 01-23-2012, 09:03 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,895,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveCleveland#1 View Post
The people who get flustered from negative comments from native Clevelanders and from people who don't live here, are those who can see the real essence of this city. I would think that anyone who is proud of where they come from, would not appreciate negative comments about their home town. It's not about whining.... To me, that is a natural response.

Folks who have moved away (not particularly you), and feel they need a change, often use that as an excuse to move, because others have moved. I've noticed that about Clevelanders. They feel they have something to prove, because they've ventured out. In most cases, you move to enhance your quality of life, not because you need a change. If you need a change that bad, take a vacation!!! Most native Clevelanders didn't travel much to see the world when they lived here anyway. So, of course they're going to think things are better on the other side. A lot of native Clevelanders have an inferiority complex anyway; that's why they side up with the nay-sayers... I say, good bye! Cleveland is on move... New people that move to Cleveland LOVE it here... They can't understand what the negativity is all about!!!!
Getting negative comments from natives (or those that have moved) vs those that aren't from Cleveland or have never lived there are two completely different things. It's like ethnic jokes: you can make them about your own ethnicity but not someones else's...I don't like when people make invalid statements about Cleveland or Ohio but I certainly don't have a problem with well-considered criticism. That's how cities improve. Weather is of course, not a valid criticism per say, but it is a measurable when determining the pros/cons of living somewhere. Cleveland's weather is fine if you don't mind a lot of overcast days. That's just a fact of living in the Great Lakes area.

As for your comments about why Clevelanders move - not really feeling your point. People move for a lot of reasons, a change of scenery being a very valid reason. It's a profound thing to pick up and leave your comfort zone to start fresh somewhere else. There are a lot of great places in this world and the experience of living somewhere else is very informative. And sorry, but living somewhere else has absolutely nothing in common with taking a vacation. It's like dating vs getting married. And I'm not sure that "most native Clevelanders didn't travel much"...In fact, most people I know from there travel a lot, which is one of the reasons they feel they can stay there. They get out enough to mix things up so that it doesn't become monotonous.

As for Cleveland being on "the move", no offense but people have been saying that for decades. Cleveland is part of the Great Lakes as a larger region so its fortunes are in some ways tied to how that area will evolve over the coming century. My personal opinion is that the region will become crucial again as water needs grow over the coming years. Cleveland is a fine place to live and the pride of its citizens is admirable!

But the local politics have been strangling that city for decades. Until Clevelanders stage their own Bastille Day, the city could continue its holding pattern.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:04 AM

2,177 posts, read 2,314,220 times
"Anyway, the people who get all flustered when anyone says anything critical of Cleveland (weather, economy, sports, etc...) are just as annoying as the ones being called "whiners"."

Old 01-23-2012, 09:36 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,256,918 times
I don't know, I've been thoroughly impressed by the amount of sunlight we've had this winter in NE Ohio, and how little snow we've had up until this week and a snow storm a week or two ago. Been the mildest winter I've ever seen in my 25 years of life, been wonderful!!

I'm not trying to sound like an a-hole, but for those who have lived elsewhere, do people complain about the weather and other stuff as much as people in NE Ohio?

Old 01-23-2012, 09:50 AM

23 posts, read 48,082 times
I have to agree with twange on some of his points. I could have went to college for free at YSU. It made more economic sense to do that, but I wanted a change. Suburbia just wasnt cutting it anymore. At first the choice was honestly Cleveland or Pittsburgh. It could have went either way because I knew nothing about either city. Needless to say, I chose Cleveland and I love it. What I notice is that the people who come to Cleveland love it just as much as me while the people who have lived here their whole life hate it. Its a natural human feeling to want change every once in a while

Coming from Youngstown, Cleveland satisfies me. Yes there are problems, but I kind of like that, and I want to do my part to help. I could move to NYC and feel like just another kid from Ohio who gets lost in the masses, or I could stay here and have that chance. Everyone is different so there's no set rhyme or reason why people move where they do.

And Twange...I can honestly say that Austin is the only city south of the Mason Dixon line that I would live in. It's just as quirky as Cleveland, but I dont plan on going anywhere anytime soon.

The only thing I have to disagree with you on is that Cleveland is really picking up steam. You would be very surprised what is happening throughout the city. The difference this time compared to every other so-called renaissance is that we have quite a few neighborhoods being redevloped all at once instead of one certain area. Its literally from East to West all across the city. Its quite impressive considering that Cleveland should have honestly turned out to be like Detroit or Youngstown considering what happened in the 60's, 70's 80's.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:14 AM

236 posts, read 461,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Getting negative comments from natives (or those that have moved) vs those that aren't from Cleveland or have never lived there are two completely different things. It's like ethnic jokes: you can make them about your own ethnicity but not someones else's...I don't like when people make invalid statements about Cleveland or Ohio but I certainly don't have a problem with well-considered criticism. That's how cities improve. Weather is of course, not a valid criticism per say, but it is a measurable when determining the pros/cons of living somewhere. Cleveland's weather is fine if you don't mind a lot of overcast days. That's just a fact of living in the Great Lakes area.

As for your comments about why Clevelanders move - not really feeling your point. People move for a lot of reasons, a change of scenery being a very valid reason. It's a profound thing to pick up and leave your comfort zone to start fresh somewhere else. There are a lot of great places in this world and the experience of living somewhere else is very informative. And sorry, but living somewhere else has absolutely nothing in common with taking a vacation. It's like dating vs getting married. And I'm not sure that "most native Clevelanders didn't travel much"...In fact, most people I know from there travel a lot, which is one of the reasons they feel they can stay there. They get out enough to mix things up so that it doesn't become monotonous.

As for Cleveland being on "the move", no offense but people have been saying that for decades. Cleveland is part of the Great Lakes as a larger region so its fortunes are in some ways tied to how that area will evolve over the coming century. My personal opinion is that the region will become crucial again as water needs grow over the coming years. Cleveland is a fine place to live and the pride of its citizens is admirable!

But the local politics have been strangling that city for decades. Until Clevelanders stage their own Bastille Day, the city could continue its holding pattern.
Twange, you are entitled to your opinion, just as I am. At the end of the day, the things that I've mentioned in my previous comments are based on MY EXPERIENCES with MANY people I know, specifically... True, people move for a variety of reasons... Truth be told, many Clevelanders make it a point to leave, because of their own bad experiences & bad choices they've made. Instead of leaving with a plan and venturing into new territory because they want a fresh start, they tend to broadcast it and make it a scene, "I'm getting the H_ _ _ out Cleveland"! Big deal; people come and go all the time. Most people who have moved out of Cleveland, have moved to places they've vacationed before - at least the ones I know... Then, they end up right back, because they've left with the wrong attitude... Or, they take that same negativity to their new city. Then, they end up moving all over the United States trying find that perfect place...

My comments are not to offend anyone. I'm telling you what I KNOW from many people I KNOW. If you don't like what you're reading, simply move to the next forum... Enjoy your day!

Last edited by LoveCleveland#1; 01-23-2012 at 10:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland