Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2012, 12:21 PM

233 posts, read 455,992 times

Advertisements

I know that the flats won't open phase 1 of the East Bank until 2013 and there is a rapid station down there but there is no denying the Flats can be hard to navigate especially to out of town visitors. I was recently reading an article that was saying that Cleveland would become more tourist friendly if they had better transportation to their amenities. Well what I think the City of Cleveland should do or RTA is provide shuttles that pick up from certain spots downtown and drop off at the different Restaurants, Clubs, Etc. so the tourist and residents wouldn't be lost from driving or getting off the rapid and walking. This would also save from a headache or discouragement for the people who come down here to come again. What do you all think and is there any talk of doing this idea?

Readers share ideas to make Cleveland more tourist-friendly | cleveland.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 04:34 PM

674 posts, read 1,058,839 times
I think it's a stupid idea from an RTA perspective. No public transit caters specifically to "different restaurants" or anywhere else just because people are too lazy to walk half a mile from a rapid transit station. If you want to go to the Flats and you're from out of town, then drive your ass there and park. If you're too American to comprehend a basic public transportation system involving a light amount of walking to "point B" (Especially the RTA, which is about as easy to use as a microwave) then you shouldn't be using public transit. Personally, I'd rather not see tax payer money used to transport out of town residents to entertainment districts when more than sufficient public transit already exists.

Last edited by OhAcid; 01-07-2012 at 04:55 PM..

Old 01-07-2012, 11:49 PM

233 posts, read 455,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid View Post
I think it's a stupid idea from an RTA perspective. No public transit caters specifically to "different restaurants" or anywhere else just because people are too lazy to walk half a mile from a rapid transit station. If you want to go to the Flats and you're from out of town, then drive your ass there and park. If you're too American to comprehend a basic public transportation system involving a light amount of walking to "point B" (Especially the RTA, which is about as easy to use as a microwave) then you shouldn't be using public transit. Personally, I'd rather not see tax payer money used to transport out of town residents to entertainment districts when more than sufficient public transit already exists.
I'm going off of what the article says and the main issue people had was transportation because they said the amenities feel to disconnected and I don't think the problem is walking to a rapid station but getting to the flats can be a hassle especially since the Waterfront line only runs on weekends so if you don't have an alternative to get to the flats the suburbanites who are already hesitant to come downtown won't come and out of towners may become discouraged my main point is to create a means of transportation to fill in for the waterfront line until the weekend to satisfy the wants of tourists.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:19 PM

674 posts, read 1,058,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr216 View Post
I'm going off of what the article says and the main issue people had was transportation because they said the amenities feel to disconnected and I don't think the problem is walking to a rapid station but getting to the flats can be a hassle especially since the Waterfront line only runs on weekends so if you don't have an alternative to get to the flats the suburbanites who are already hesitant to come downtown won't come and out of towners may become discouraged my main point is to create a means of transportation to fill in for the waterfront line until the weekend to satisfy the wants of tourists.
Public transportation that is paid for by people who ride it and by the tax payers who live in an urban area is meant to benefit that specific group of people. Not "out of towners' and "tourists" who most likely are utilizing automobiles in a city like Cleveland.

Not only that, but anybody who is "hesitant" about coming to downtown Cleveland in general is definitely not anyone who is going to use the city's public transportation while they are there in favor of their own car, especially to visit the Flats.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:50 AM

16,597 posts, read 19,817,873 times
I agree with OhAcid.

When the flats was a popular destination (at one time it was the second largest tourist attraction in Ohio behind Cedar Point.... seriously) no one complained about how hard it was to navigate.
And this new update will make it even easier...

Old 01-14-2012, 07:47 AM

4,552 posts, read 5,150,928 times
RTA has indicated that they will re-start 7-day, daytime rail service on the Waterfront Line once the Flats East Bank development (the 18-story hotel/office/restaurant complex) is completed next year.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:44 PM

223 posts, read 398,670 times
Im so happy to see progression in that area...Its looking good on the East Bank of the flats....GO CLEVELAND
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland