Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 03:46 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
it's funny and ironic that a certain group of people in "undesirable" cities hate the fact that their city hasn't been discovered by the masses, but you're living or lived in one of the "discovered" and you're saying you hate that it's been discovered lol. I say that Cleveland can become something if we change it. Some people complain about the same politicians being in forever; if you don't like them vote them out. Also, we gotta stop a lot of this self-hate we have as a city and have some pride; I'm speaking from experience because I'm battling through it. Yes, we can talk about our drawbacks but let's talk about our positives too.
Attracting an educated middle class+ population/voter base will vote Cleveland's embedded political hacks out of office, as some of these same new residents put themselves up for political office.

Attracting an educated middle class+ population will take care of your issue related to having some city pride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 11:13 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Attracting an educated middle class+ population/voter base will vote Cleveland's embedded political hacks out of office, as some of these same new residents put themselves up for political office.

Attracting an educated middle class+ population will take care of your issue related to having some city pride.
Can you elaborate on the last part? I'm curious, is politics the reason why you moved out of Cleveland?

Old 01-23-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Can you elaborate on the last part? I'm curious, is politics the reason why you moved out of Cleveland?
tough to have a lot of pride when your city is in its 7th decade of population decline, highest poverty rate generally and children in poverty rate in particular for large U.S. cities, gun violence from west to east side now, politicians pandering with old-school racial politics for votes to perpetuate careers and $ pocket-lining, public schools suffering the effects of social engineering, to name a few points...

Many leave Cleveland for career/employment opportunities, not because a career is moving and someone doesn't like the mayor, etc. Otherwise, what one does, that many have done since the '50s, is move to a suburb, and now, as Cleveland sprawls even more, the exurbs. As Cleveland continues to empty into the Cuyahoga County suburbs, the county decline has only increased (county now in its 5th decade of population loss).

Inept political leadership and having the poor/and the ''faux poor'' driving Cleveland's political and economic agenda will keep Cleveland off the growth radar. Of course we have to take care of those truly in need, but many take advantage, and ''fatherless America'' isn't helping Cleveland at all (see violent crime stats). Cleveland is not the only city facing these issues though, but one of but a few still declining.

Being down to having only one true Clevelander in the U.S. House of Reps isn't helping Cleveland generally let alone her own district in Washington DC.

So, creating a large educated, middle class base in Cleveland should see results at the voting polls and increase pride in the city. The middle class tends to be invested where they live.

Last edited by Kamms; 01-23-2018 at 10:21 AM..

Old 01-24-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
tough to have a lot of pride when your city is in its 7th decade of population decline, highest poverty rate generally and children in poverty rate in particular for large U.S. cities, gun violence from west to east side now, politicians pandering with old-school racial politics for votes to perpetuate careers and $ pocket-lining, public schools suffering the effects of social engineering, to name a few points...

Many leave Cleveland for career/employment opportunities, not because a career is moving and someone doesn't like the mayor, etc. Otherwise, what one does, that many have done since the '50s, is move to a suburb, and now, as Cleveland sprawls even more, the exurbs. As Cleveland continues to empty into the Cuyahoga County suburbs, the county decline has only increased (county now in its 5th decade of population loss).

Inept political leadership and having the poor/and the ''faux poor'' driving Cleveland's political and economic agenda will keep Cleveland off the growth radar. Of course we have to take care of those truly in need, but many take advantage, and ''fatherless America'' isn't helping Cleveland at all (see violent crime stats). Cleveland is not the only city facing these issues though, but one of but a few still declining.

Being down to having only one true Clevelander in the U.S. House of Reps isn't helping Cleveland generally let alone her own district in Washington DC.

So, creating a large educated, middle class base in Cleveland should see results at the voting polls and increase pride in the city. The middle class tends to be invested where they live.
Kamms, I still have a lot of pride in Cleveland in spite of everything. Now, maybe you don't, correct me if I'm wrong, but I do.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Kamms, I still have a lot of pride in Cleveland in spite of everything. Now, maybe you don't, correct me if I'm wrong, but I do.
I have pride in Cleveland as well but, once again in responding to your queries, you turn it around on a personal basis questioning my pride in Cleveland.

I don't where you are coming from or going to on your posts and threads. You brought up Clevelanders not have pride in their city and changing the politics therein; I offered some reasons why that is.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I have pride in Cleveland as well but, once again in responding to your queries, you turn it around on a personal basis questioning my pride in Cleveland.

I don't where you are coming from or going to on your posts and threads. You brought up Clevelanders not have pride in their city and changing the politics therein; I offered some reasons why that is.
Never meant to make it personal and I shouldn't have assumed, I apologize. That's something I'm trying to work on. But, I just get tired of all s**t that Cleveland gets from the national media, people in other cities and a certain group of Cleveland expats (not you even if I disagree with some of you points) sometimes I let my frustrations seep out into this form.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:39 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,519 times
Above from QCongress: Thank you for being an adult and being honest. You should have been in my staff meeting yesterday...teacher got up and left and was NOT at work today. It was just a bit uncomfortable because our tech guy did not use a "filter" when speaking and then there were crickets.

I LOVE when someone comes on here and just says, "It's all good," and takes some responsibility. I'm similar here in CA. I get a lot of flack about CLE from people that do not know about CLE or have NEVER been to the midwest, but they seem to know all about the people.

Everyone realize that online forums vs. talking in a coffee shop are so far apart socially. We all want CLE to be successful at our core. If you don't, I have no idea why you'd be on a CLE forum.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:40 AM

7 posts, read 6,978 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
I miss #29 the most..

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2018 at 06:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland