Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 03:20 PM

297 posts, read 177,569 times

Advertisements

I hope I'm not taking this thread into off topic territory by bringing this up OP and I sincerely apologize if I am , but since this thread concerns the topic of organized crime in Cleveland , I figured I might as well pose the following question ...

Which is that were there any Hungarian organized crime groups ever active in Cleveland ? I mean I find it real strange that a city which at one time had such a large Hungarian population would never develop a significant gangster element from within it ...

Especially considering the fact that there were influential Hungarian figures in Cleveland ( like Jack Russell ) who must have surely rubbed shoulders with organized criminal elements operating in the city ...

FWIW I do believe that one of the assassins who attempted to murder Danny Greene was named William Kiraly , which means the fellow was of at least partial Hungarian descent based on his surname .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 07:34 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpactPlaya View Post
I'm doing a book on organized crime history in Cleveland. Its not just on LCN.
If you have any stories to share,I would welcome them.
While it's about an hour away, I want to point out that Youngstown was a hotbed of Mafia activity in the middle of the last century. I don't know if the crime families are connected to one another, or not.

If you are open to expanding your focus to all of NE Ohio, you would do well to research Y'town.

In the early 60s, Youngstown was featured on the cover of Life (or maybe Look) magazine as "the Most Dangerous City in America".

https://gangsterreport.com/mafia-hit...h-mob-murders/

Y'town was also mentioned in the recent movie "The Irishman".

Old 03-17-2020, 11:53 AM

19 posts, read 81,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan Vozdig View Post
I hope I'm not taking this thread into off topic territory by bringing this up OP and I sincerely apologize if I am , but since this thread concerns the topic of organized crime in Cleveland , I figured I might as well pose the following question ...

Which is that were there any Hungarian organized crime groups ever active in Cleveland ? I mean I find it real strange that a city which at one time had such a large Hungarian population would never develop a significant gangster element from within it ...

Especially considering the fact that there were influential Hungarian figures in Cleveland ( like Jack Russell ) who must have surely rubbed shoulders with organized criminal elements operating in the city ...

FWIW I do believe that one of the assassins who attempted to murder Danny Greene was named William Kiraly , which means the fellow was of at least partial Hungarian descent based on his surname .
I think when the Hungarians migrated to Cleveland there was a abundance of blue collar jobs that they populated
Hence circumstances didn't dictate the breeding of a Hungarian
Mafia family
Look at your larger cities with thriving mafia families
NYC DETROIT CHICAGO
No documentation of a Hungarian mafia family
I know of some 2nd 3rd generation Hungarians who were used
For muscle by some old timers.
The Hungarians also had a certain closeness with the.Hungarian church's
Alot of Hungarians did have city service jobs.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:29 AM

297 posts, read 177,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpactPlaya View Post
I think when the Hungarians migrated to Cleveland there was a abundance of blue collar jobs that they populated
Hence circumstances didn't dictate the breeding of a Hungarian
Mafia family
Look at your larger cities with thriving mafia families
NYC DETROIT CHICAGO
No documentation of a Hungarian mafia family
I know of some 2nd 3rd generation Hungarians who were used
For muscle by some old timers.
The Hungarians also had a certain closeness with the.Hungarian church's
Alot of Hungarians did have city service jobs.

Do you know the names of these 2nd and 3rd generation Hungarians who were used as muscle by the Italian mob ?

Thanks for the answer by the way !

Old 03-26-2020, 04:01 PM

19 posts, read 81,459 times
Pilaggi and Homrock.

Old 04-13-2020, 09:18 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Just an interesting anecdote.....or not.......

I can recall as a kid going to the union Christmas programs where every kid would get a Christmas gift from the union. (I got a football that I can recall).

One day while watching the Sopranos' they had an episode dealing with handing out Christmas gifts after Big ***** was no longer around. I sort of chuckled wondering if they had the same arguments before handing out our gifts.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:51 PM
on3

498 posts, read 384,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Just an interesting anecdote.....or not.......

I can recall as a kid going to the union Christmas programs where every kid would get a Christmas gift from the union. (I got a football that I can recall).

One day while watching the Sopranos' they had an episode dealing with handing out Christmas gifts after Big ***** was no longer around. I sort of chuckled wondering if they had the same arguments before handing out our gifts.
Good ol' Big Chuck and lil John. I miss those skits. Ben Crazy was amazing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland