Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 05:03 AM

51 posts, read 114,874 times

Advertisements

Yes there white flight going on and has to with all BS, politics, lousy leaders and crime and blight in parts of the city and jobs leaving and hight taxes. Look what happened to Detroit thats how were compared to. We should try to be more like Chicago but were not.

Forgot the medical mart and convention center more BS and will never happen just like the flats and National city bank going under when it didn't have to and now we have 25 story national city building sitting empty.

Cleveland is called the mistake on the lake
We have so much potiential
I am glad we finally after 50 years have one team doing good
Browns are a joke and gave up on them.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:21 AM

51 posts, read 114,874 times
It's not section 8 it the people in them and become depended on them and the quality of the people in section 8 are not the best people and most in section in my opinion are depressing. Good maybe to help you get a better life but most are not used that way and new or nice car sitting outside and wearing designer clothes and lots sell dope or smoking dope in them.

Now there exception to rule and there some good people in them.
Section 8 help only few and most get fat lazy and become depended on welfare.

Welfare never really works just makes more babies and other problems.

Sad all I can say

Old 04-17-2009, 07:35 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,206,341 times
Michael 75065, you certainly have a strong negative sentiment about Cleveland, as evidenced from multiple recent postings.

Do you have to be in the area? Why can't you relocate to Dallas or Denver, which you clearly prefer?

Old 04-17-2009, 09:34 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,201 times
I agree with NewToCA. I personally love Cleveland and do everything I can to improve it.

Sure the flats were allowed to go under for future development (east bank is leveled by the way, pending future constucture) but the west bank has only expanded...new restaurants and residental condo/apartment condos to say the least.

Enough with the Flats....what about E.4th???? 100% occupancy where they can't convert apartments fast enough. New establishments (Erie Island Coffee Company, Greehouse Tavern, La Strada, Cadallac Ranch)...all in the last 8 months...with the first 2 in the last two months.

If we are still talking entertainment venues, then W. 6th has seen 2 new places open as well as more residental...and Playhouse Square is gaining another major theater right next door to its Broadway series. Hell, even lower Euclid Ave across from E.4th is getting a new higher end furniture store/show room because of the increased population of downtown. environments4business

Here's another good article: SIGNS OF LIFE ON LOWER EUCLID AVE Signs of new life along Cleveland's Euclid Avenue - Plain Dealer Opinion

The problems created were years in the making...often times by state and federal laws and regulations, however, the city can be improved, with so much is has to offer. Sure you can dwell on the bad things..which we should since it's the only way to fix them...but we also need to follow the good things since they will be setting the stage for the future. These examples were only business related for downtown..but I give them since they are signs of expansion, improvement, and growth in the private sector.

Last note...man I can't wait to see Downtown BOOMING with the Cavs Playoff run this next month and a half!!

Old 04-17-2009, 09:39 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,966,998 times
I'm amused at people who say things like East 4th and the Warehouse District won't last. These are usually the same people who are perfectly willing to jump on the bandwagon of the newest housing subdivision or big-box development that some developer decides to plop down in a random cornfield.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:41 AM

405 posts, read 1,213,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Michael 75065, you certainly have a strong negative sentiment about Cleveland, as evidenced from multiple recent postings.

Do you have to be in the area? Why can't you relocate to Dallas or Denver, which you clearly prefer?
The funny thing is that he has stated in another thread he lives in Painesville Township, which is 25-30 miles east of Cleveland and in the eastern hanlf of Lake County. He has asked questions on another thread indicating he doesn't know much about Cuyahoga County suburbs or downtown or the flats. It seems as if he gets his opinions from the Plain Dealer, which is not a good thing.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:54 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,206,341 times
While I agree that Cleveland certainly has some challenges, and stuff that hasn't gone as anticipated, I would like to think that most folks ultimately end up where they can find contentment.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:32 PM

980 posts, read 1,146,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlondon View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on what is happening with neighborhoods such as Shaker Heights, University Heights, and Cleveland Heights? There are tons of homes on the market and the prices are going down. I realize the whole mortgage debacle doesn't help the situation and the economy is in bad shape, but is there more going on here, i.e. are these areas permanently losing population? Are they dying cities?
Well, they ain't boom towns

Old 04-17-2009, 02:33 PM

980 posts, read 1,146,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael75065 View Post
It's not section 8 it the people in them and become depended on them and the quality of the people in section 8 are not the best people and most in section in my opinion are depressing. Good maybe to help you get a better life but most are not used that way and new or nice car sitting outside and wearing designer clothes and lots sell dope or smoking dope in them.

Now there exception to rule and there some good people in them.
Section 8 help only few and most get fat lazy and become depended on welfare.

Welfare never really works just makes more babies and other problems.

Sad all I can say
That's the way it has always been and will always be.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:17 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,966,998 times
We could just legalize drugs and then the dealers would have incomes too high for welfare. But that makes too much sense. We'd rather spend billions of dollars to "get the bad guy," who I guess is the black kid with the sagging pants on the street corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland