Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 09:59 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
No, not really, in particular Avon and Bay. Avon grew 85 percent in the last decade, Bay I believe lost population. That's not to say I prefer Avon, but it is a tipoff that the communities are very, very different.
They are very different. As I kid in the 1950's Avon Lake was a sleepy little town of 7,000. Much of those lived in summer cottages in the 45 allotment (Tomahawk to Lear), various streets built off tiny beaches along lake road and a few streets near Saddle Inn. Almost everything south of Electric was vineyards, nurseries and farm land.

Avon was considered to "other side of the track" and largely farm land.

Bay was suburbia even then. Houses were a big step up from the Avon Lake cottages.

Rocky River, at least to that kid in the 1950's a city on its own.

Coming from the west 67 and Lorraine area of Cleveland we rode thru these cities every weekend to visits family. Lake Road, over to Detroit, Sloan, Clinton and off to the south of Lake.... Hundreds of trips.

Where was I going... Oh, yeah. If you like an older historical type of community and housing stock, Rocky River. If you're into modest and up scale post war homes, Bay is nice. Lots are small on a lot of the streets. Living in a house with huge oak trees a few feet away can be scary. Bay may still have many of their pre war cottages, similar to AL, but the tear down and replace with mini mansions has taken many out over the years. Even Dr. Sheppard's home by the gun club bit the dust.

Avon Lake is a mix. Many of the cottages have been reworked, some are great some not so much. It is amusing to walk on a street like Vandals and see a proud owner living in a reworked of a place that was once a wreck of a home, if they only know, LOL. Much of the newer stuff is thanks to Bucky Kopf. No a huge fan of his work but it is on par with anything Pulte or Parkview are doing. Avon Lake has kept up with infrastructure needed by its growth. Last time I drove thru Avon they seemed to be behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 10:09 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
No, not really, in particular Avon and Bay. Avon grew 85 percent in the last decade, Bay I believe lost population. That's not to say I prefer Avon, but it is a tipoff that the communities are very, very different.
Bay has been fairly stable, I'd think they were over 90% built out back in the 1970's. Any population drops likely be due largely to empty nesters. Enrollment number might suggest a decline.

Avon Lake is still building out. Not sure, I'd guess 80% maybe more. What's Avon, 60% maybe?

Based on land area, Avon will have more people. Is there a 2 acre lot size in part of Avon? I recall something about a 2 acre lot size in the French Creek area, or something.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:33 PM

21 posts, read 80,089 times
None of the above. Gosh, there are so many more interesting places in Cleveland to live, including the city of Cleveland itself.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:31 PM

21 posts, read 43,505 times
They are all very nice suburbs, each have their pros and cons. Rocky River is the closest to downtown a bit more urban but still quiet depending which street you live on.

Bay and Avon Lake are very much alike and on the lake. Rocky River is too.

Avon has a lot of retail but not directly on the lakeshore, although you can easily get to the lake in a matter of a few minutes.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:52 PM

103 posts, read 210,208 times
For me, I'd take Rocky River because it has the most urban feel, is the closest to the city, and is right along the Rocky River Reservation, which is perhaps my favorite park in the Cleveland area.

Bay and Avon Lake are both nice if a more suburban feel for people who are looking for that. The main thing to point out here is that Avon Lake is in Lorain County, so there's probably a tax difference.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 AM

28 posts, read 34,776 times
Avon is a great city- tons of growth happening all over the place and very quickly.
Bay is a beautiful, quiet, lakefront bedroom community.
River is quicky growing and has tons to do.
Don't know too much about Avon Lake.

Just depends on what you are specifically looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland