Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 01:02 PM

2 posts, read 7,618 times

Advertisements

My husband and I plan on moving to Ohio to be close to my family. They live in the Concord and Painesville areas, but we do not want to live there. We're going to be leaving an amazing suburb of Washington, DC and are accustomed to nice, new shopping centers, trendy grocery stores and tons of restaurants. We're looking for an area like this, but my parents keep trying to push Concord. I'd like to be about a 20-30 minute distance from the family. Here are my questions: Where are all of the yuppies? And where are all of the young families? What areas are respectable to live in? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 02:25 PM

3 posts, read 9,963 times
Default Sorry....

I'm sorry to inform you that Ohio really doesn't have much in terms of "yuppies". You can definitely get the upper crust of the Cleveland area around Beachwood, Solon, Moreland Hills and Shaker Heights, etc... Legacy Village is the spot high class shopping and such. You probably won't find anything as nice as you had in DC though, this is Cleveland unfortunately. Concord however is a very pleasant area, but not suited for what you would want. I'll be moving there at the end of the month. It's all up to what you want. There are some cities on the west side too, like Avon, that you may want to take a look at.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:02 AM

570 posts, read 1,820,284 times
Pepper Pike, Woodmere, Lyndhurst, Chagrin Falls, and Mentor are other areas to look at. Woodmere has a nice shopping center called Eton. It has high end shopping boutiques, art galleries, and Trader Joe's which sales great food. Also, Legacy Village is also a great shopping center in Lyndhurst. Lots of restaurants and great shopping. Its also down the street from Beachwood Mall( its has Saks Fifth, Nordstrom's, etc). For your taste, I would recommend Beachwood/Pepper Pike. It is also by the freeway(I-271 and will take you to I-90 east) and will get you to your family in Lake County in under 30 minutes.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 7,618 times
Default thanks!

I have heard of Beachwood and the Legacy Village area. I never contemplated Shaker Heights, but I looked up some real estate there, and it looks really nice. Thank you both for the advice!

Old 09-13-2007, 06:17 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,102,565 times
Unfortunately, Cleveland does not have a large population of young families. Where we currently live in the Atlanta area, everyone is in their 30's with kids. When you go into a restaurant, there is a kid at almost every table. When we go back to NE Ohio to visit, we get lots of mean looks in restaurants, because we usually are the only ones with kids!

Old 09-14-2007, 08:46 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,862,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklingman86 View Post
I'm sorry to inform you that Ohio really doesn't have much in terms of "yuppies".
Wow Uh...have you been to Columbus lately?!?

Seriously, I must admit my first reaction to your post was one of shock...but upon further reflection, you're actually very right about Northeast Ohio. The Cleveland metro area in general is not a place young, up-and-coming folks are moving to.

Anyway, littlebleaz, to answer your initial question, the whole eastern arc of suburbs along 271—Beachwood, Pepper Pike, Gates Mills, Moreland Hills, etc. are very upscale and have lots of the desirable amenities you're looking for.

Looking further south, Chagrin Falls, Solon, Twinsburg and Aurora are also quite nice...and could offer even a little more geographic "buffer" between you & the relatives

Old 09-14-2007, 09:31 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,055 times
Yuppies further that way------>

Hang a hard right then a radical left, cant miss'em.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:23 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,375,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
Yuppies further that way------>

Hang a hard right then a radical left, cant miss'em.
GOOD ONE!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HTLONG

Old 09-16-2007, 09:07 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,922,658 times
When I was in Columbus it seemed like it was filled with yuppies, especially the Northern Columbus Suburbs. Maybe not, but it seemed like there was lots of them.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:52 PM

3 posts, read 9,963 times
Default Hey guys

My apologies to all, I really meant Northeast Ohio, I got overzealous . To me "Ohio" is the northeast, I forget about all you guys south of me . I do like Columbus and most areas of Ohio. It does seem like a whole different world in different areas of Ohio. Hope I didn't offend anybody!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland