U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2012, 12:57 PM

137 posts, read 245,010 times

Advertisements

Hi folks!

I'm currently in Stow, but now looking for an apartment closer to the city since the 40 minute commute is killing me slowly

What are your opinions of that area? I saw some decent looking apartments, and like demographics of those areas.

My only concerns are these: Is there anything to do in the area? I'm used to going Cuyohoga Falls and having basically every restaurant within 20 minutes. I go to church in Broadview Heights 30 minutes away, so I'll be about the same distance. I'm 24, and worried about being constantly bored or having to drive 30 minutes to get to anything. I'm not into downtown or anything because of safety concerns, and I don't enjoy bars at all.

Second: How long will it take to get downtown (say from Som Center and 2)? I'll be moving offices to near 9th E and Superior in the coming weeks.

Oh yes, one last question, how is the snow there? I think I'll be closer to the lake, but heard that it can get pretty miserable there.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 11:16 AM

20 posts, read 47,864 times
Hi! I used to live in that area for quite some time, but unfortunately had to move to Akron for school. Trust me, there is PLENTY to do around there. Downtown Willoughby is one of the cutest little downtowns youll find, and is similar to dt Hudson to me. Youll probably end up going to Mentor for alot of things though, literally every restaurant is there along Mentor Ave and around the mall. Much, much more than on Howe in the Falls, plus the mall is alot nicer than Chapel Hill. And the thing i miss most from up there is the beach, youll definitely have to go out to the Mentor Headlands, absolutely gorgeous, not to mention the largest natural beach on the Great Lakes!

Travel time from SOM to dt Cleveland should only be about 15-20mins, though it can get pretty backed up during rush hours, so add on another 10. rt2 is going to be awful for some time, since theyre still working on widening it, but once thats done, itll be alot better.

And snow isnt too bad. usually more than Akron area, but youll still be close enough to the lake that you wont get the worst of it. I was on the south side of 90, and we always got more than along the lake since it was cooler away from the water, and also higher elevation

Old 04-02-2012, 08:45 AM

308 posts, read 734,672 times
Willoughby is an easy commute into the city. As mentioned, the Route 2 construction is slowing things down but it shouldn't take you more than 20 minutes. The snow can get bad but its not as bad as what you get in Geneva, Chardon, etc. The roads are generally clear.

There's plenty of shopping and eating in the area. Besides downtown Willoughby and Mentor, Mayfield, Lyndhurst and Beachwood are a very easy drive and offer plenty of options. Throw in the easy access to Cleveland and you have plenty of choices.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:41 PM

42 posts, read 87,125 times
Pine Ridge Apts are large, nice apts with a gym, indoor outdoor pool, and very nice. Don't listen to gripers-probably don't follow simple rules. underground parking if wanted.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:15 PM

223 posts, read 361,775 times
Willoughby is a great area about 15 mins from Downtown Cleveland....

Old 05-30-2012, 08:13 PM

5 posts, read 7,007 times
There is TONS to do in Willoughby. I'm moving there too and have been doing lots of research. There are great coffee shops, galleries, restaurants and such in downtown Willoughby, and that area is just awesome. I am excited to hit Frontier days and the Rib cookoff and the Old Car show. I love the nearby Willoughby fine arts and all the productions and classes they offer too. There is every kind of shopping there and in nearby Mentor too. There is a great YMCA to stay in shape, movie theatres, live music, nearby Metroparks with biking, hiking, walking, and skiing trails and many many many activities. I don't know as much about Eastlake though, because I've pretty much confined my search and research to Willoughby. Also, it's so close to downtown you have all the downtown stuff too.

Last edited by starrynite101; 05-30-2012 at 08:22 PM..

Old 05-31-2012, 12:59 AM

79,571 posts, read 37,129,571 times
Willoughby is my home town so I have nothing but good to say about it. It's pretty nice how the downtown has both changed and stayed the same over the last 50 years since I first came to Willoughby.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:45 AM

12,640 posts, read 14,779,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Willoughby is my home town so I have nothing but good to say about it. It's pretty nice how the downtown has both changed and stayed the same over the last 50 years since I first came to Willoughby.
And would you say Willoughby has "Racial Issues"???
Refering to other post talking about that.
I say BS. What say you, Willoughby resident?

Old 06-03-2012, 08:14 PM

79,571 posts, read 37,129,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
And would you say Willoughby has "Racial Issues"???
Refering to other post talking about that.
I say BS. What say you, Willoughby resident?
Sorry, I wasn't clear. While I grew up there I no longer live there. I was there today though but no longer being there regularly I really can't say for sure.

I am in Willoughby from time to time and I've never heard or ever saw any problems.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:46 PM

5 posts, read 7,007 times
I grew up on Second Street there in downtown Willoughby too. I left in 1993, so I can't say for sure if any racial tensions have arisen since then but I remember it as a really nice place to live with really nice people. There wasn't a ton of diversity, which is a shame, but what diversity we had seemed to be embraced by most. I remember one racist girl at my highschool there, South High. I was dating a black boy and was a white girl and she said some pretty mean things about it but everyone shunned her racist behavior and she quit. We really never got any other guff that I can remember. Again though, I've been gone a long time. I'm looking forward to moving back though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland