Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 08:54 AM

26 posts, read 68,560 times

Advertisements

Hello Clevelanders,

My girlfriend and I will be staying in Cleveland the night of 09/15 to celebrate four years. We will leaving our house in Detroit Saturday morning to hit up Cedar Point during the day and will drive over to Cleveland to spend Saturday night for dinner and some bar hopping. Sunday we will spend the day exploring your city and seeing the sights. This will be a first time visiting Cleveland for the both of us.

We do not have as much time in Cleveland as I would like so I’d some input from the locals. Questions I have are:
· What area hotels/motels are economical (<$80/night preferably). We will only be sleeping here so it does not need to be much more than a room with a bed in it… Not looking for luxury, but would prefer it to be close walking distance to downtown or a short cab ride away.
· How is parking downtown? Would the hotel/motel include a parking space?
· What are some good bars for a mid-twenties couple downtown?
· Would it be worth it to try to hit up the hall of fame Sunday?
· What are some good places to get good skyline pictures? I will be taking my DSLR with me and love to get skyline pics of the cities I visit? What are some good POVs?
· Cleveland MUST sees and dos?

Really appreciate any and all suggestions. Can’t wait to finally visit Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 09:51 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,428,259 times
Look into the new Cleveland Hostel on W. 25th! The Cleveland Hostel

If you want to be close to the action, you'll pay the price for a hotel. But the hostel is pretty cheap. And it's right by a lot of awesome bars that you'd really like. Try ABC the Tavern, Nano Brew, Market Garden Brewery, and of course Great Lakes. You can walk over the Lorain-Carnegie Bridge and be right downtown (by the baseball stadium) or take the Red Line from W. 25th/Ohio City to Tower City Station.

For downtown bars, just stroll down W.6th and W. 9th for a young 20s crowd and a party atmosphere. There's plenty there to keep you occupied.

For skyline shots, go for the view from Voinovich Park (by Rock Hall) and the Superior Viaduct.

As far as must sees, you'd really need to stay for longer than a day! For example, the West Side Market won't even be open at all while you're here... but hopefully you'll like it enough to come back and eventually see everything.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:48 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,278,239 times
Hi Robin--

There a long happening in Downtown, Ohio City, Tremont, and University Circle. I would stick to these neighborhoods.

Sunday daytime, I would do Tremont Arts Festival or Ingenuity Fest. Also, Cleveland Museum of Art (University Circle). I would not do the Rock Hall for only being here one day.

Best places for drinks Saturday night:

E.4th (early night) (Greenhouse Tavern rooftop!)
W. 6th (late night) (Velvet Dog rooftop!)
W. 25th (both early and late) (Market Garden Brewery and Great Lakes Brewery)

So you know, a few events are happening that weekend:

Sep 14-16: Ingenuityfest (Downtown) Ingenuity Cleveland
Sep 15: Sparx City Hop (Downtown and various neighborhoods) DCA - Sparx City Hop - Downtown Cleveland Alliance
Sep 15: Cleveland Chalk Festival (Univerisity Circle) Chalk Festival 2012 | University Circle | Cleveland Ohio | Arts & Culture, Education & Medical District
Sep 15: Susan G Komen Walk for the Cure (Downtown) Komen Northeast Ohio Homepage
Sep 15: Cleveland Classic Morehouse vs Winston-Salem State @ Cleveland Browns Stadium (Downtown) Greater Cleveland Sports Commission - Cleveland Classic
Sep 15-16: Tremont Arts & Cultural Festival (Tremont) Festival Information and Applications

Old 09-06-2012, 08:41 AM

16,537 posts, read 19,662,926 times
Here's a crazy crazy idea.
You want cheap cheap?
Stay at the La Quinta Inn, Cleveland, Airport North.
Across the parking lot from La Quinta is the Cleveland RTA (train).
That will take you downtown.
We can give you more details if that sounds like a plan.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:20 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,253,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin687 View Post
Hello Clevelanders,

· What area hotels/motels are economical (<$80/night preferably). We will only be sleeping here so it does not need to be much more than a room with a bed in it… Not looking for luxury, but would prefer it to be close walking distance to downtown or a short cab ride away.
Priceline/Hotwire will get you a great hotel in nearly any area of the city, including downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland