Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 08:01 PM

9 posts, read 30,318 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I know this has been asked a lot many times, but still here i am asking once again, we are a young Indian (asian) couple currently based in Tampa, FL and willing to relocate to Cleveland for job, we are reading all sorts of stereotypes that cleveland is one of the most crime prone cities in US and are really scared, as of now we dont have kids so not really looking for schools, we do not want to travel more than 30 minutes (one way) and the workplace is in nela park. Could you please help us out with possible suburbs where we can move to (Safety is the primary concern). We have looked at beachwood & mayfield heights/ shaker heights, can we look at lakewood. We can pay rent close to 1000-1200 per month not more than that for 1BR unit and safety is the only concern.

thanks for your help in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 09:33 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,280,663 times
I've lived in Cleveland all my life and never had a problem with crime. Where will you be working?

Lakewood is good for rentals--right on the water too. So is Cleveland Hts, Shaker Heights, and Beachwood.

Last edited by costello_musicman; 10-08-2012 at 09:44 PM..

Old 10-08-2012, 09:59 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranu View Post
Hi,

I know this has been asked a lot many times, but still here i am asking once again, we are a young Indian (asian) couple currently based in Tampa, FL and willing to relocate to Cleveland for job, we are reading all sorts of stereotypes that cleveland is one of the most crime prone cities in US and are really scared, as of now we dont have kids so not really looking for schools, we do not want to travel more than 30 minutes (one way) and the workplace is in nela park. Could you please help us out with possible suburbs where we can move to (Safety is the primary concern). We have looked at beachwood & mayfield heights/ shaker heights, can we look at lakewood. We can pay rent close to 1000-1200 per month not more than that for 1BR unit and safety is the only concern.

Cleveland city is high crime in many areas, but most of the suburbs (except for East Cleveland) are generally safe. IMHO Shaker Heights, Cleveland Heights, Beachwood and Lakewood would all be excellent choices for you, except that Lakewood might be pushing your 30-minute commute limit as it's on the opposite side of town from the others. In all those areas you could get a 1BR for far less than your budget except maybe Beachwood. In fact, for $1000-$1200 you should easily be able to find a 2BR or even 3BR place.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:03 PM

hi, thnx for your replies Costello and Andrew. I'll b working in Nela park. I know tht i am pushing my luck but Could u plz suggest a few safe appt. Communities in beachwood tht i can look at. The usual rental sites are not much of help.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:43 AM

306 posts, read 820,946 times
Pretty much any complex in Beachwood is going to be fairly nice. I don't think theres any I'd go out of my way to avoid. The Hamptons is centrally located as Beachwood Place is next door and I-271 is right down the road.

I'd also recommend looking in Mayfield Heights. While I can't say if its still like that today, but at one time the apartments there had a significant Indian population. There are some small Indian restaurants and grocery stores nearby because of this. Hamilton House is the nicest you'll find in that area and perhaps the only one I'd fully recommend.

Safety should not be a concern. These are extremely safe and very nice areas. Lakewood is nice and all, but its probably too far away. That would not be a good commute in the winter, especially if you aren't used to winter driving.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:46 PM

Thanks a lot Marty, Clevelanders please help us suggesting a few communities in beachwood, all the ones that we are talking to are either full or very costly 1400 for 1BR.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:06 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,074 times
Quote:
Thanks a lot Marty, Clevelanders please help us suggesting a few communities in beachwood, all the ones that we are talking to are either full or very costly 1400 for 1BR.
Beachwood's going to be tough, as it probably has the most expensive apartment rents in the entire Cleveland area. I would suggest looking in neighboring communities (Shaker, etc.) which are just as safe IMHO and offer somewhat better deals.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:41 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,669 times
Surprising (and also unsurprising) how the reputations of the absolutely worst areas of the city can carry over and negatively impact the perception of a region of hundreds of square miles.

That being said Nela Park happens to be located near said less than desirable areas, but there is a myriad of choices in the commuting range you're talking about. Beachwood has been mentioned, Mayfield Heights, Shaker Heights, Pepper Pike, Orange, Cleveland Heights, South Euclid, Lyndhurst, University Heights, Richmond Heights, etc. If it is acceptable to live within the city University Circle and Little Italy are nearby and have all sorts of stuff going on. All have varying pros and cons but overall are safe to one degree or another. Some have great shopping (i.e. Beachwood) others have cool amenities like being on the Rapid line (i.e. Shaker, University Circle), others are known for fantastic architecture (Cleveland Heights).

Since you have very few limiting factors you can tailor your living arrangement however you please as the areas above cover a broad spectrum of socioeconomic diversity, cost, amenities, etc. If you dig up any apartments of interest I would suggest running them by people on here to get an ok as even many of the better areas have pockets that are less than choice.

Good luck!

Old 10-10-2012, 07:12 AM

Thanks once again, one thing i must appreciate is that people are helping out and that's a positive thing to begin with, we understand downsides are everywhere but it's the people who make a city worth living (or not living) and i am confident that clevelanders are pretty nice people.

We have actually till date looked at beachwood (hamptons, atrium in the village, easthaven, four seasons- all costly or no availability) anything else if you could suggest In beachwood) would be great, honestly we are looking (but unable to figure out) nicer communities in mayfield heights, shaker heights, if you guys could help us out with a few names we can check those out as well, just lookin at rental sites and reading reviews might not be the best idea. Any info first hand on these communities (in beachwood, mayfield heights, shaker heights) would be great.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:19 AM

338 posts, read 559,462 times
Quote:
Hi,

Cleveland Suburbs with Desi and Indian Population - ASIAN INDIANS IN CLEVELAND & AKRON, OHIO - Cleveland Asian Indian BLOG has info about suburbs and apartments where asian indians live in northeast ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland