Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 08:18 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,129,247 times

Advertisements

With a struggling economy and businesses closing their doors frequently, I have to wonder whether the city really has a pro business policy. It would seem that the city's mission should be to encourage small businesses and entrepreneurs by creating incentives, assistance, and guidance. Rather, the city makes you jump through all kinds of hoops (permits, boards, etc.) to get anything done in the city. If the city really wants to make a comeback, shouldn't it adopt a more pro-business philosophy? What is the city doing now to encourage small businesses, and what can we do as Clevelanders to help make our city more pro-business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 09:05 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,287,370 times
Well from Freshwater Cleveland today:

cle-based startups are attracting venture capital in record amounts

thinking outside the box is easy at multi-million dollar invention center think[box]

Also, entites like Jumpstart, NorTech, MAGNET, Bizdom,and Launchhouse all seem to be down well and raising funding,

Old 10-18-2012, 09:34 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,178,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
With a struggling economy and businesses closing their doors frequently, I have to wonder whether the city really has a pro business policy.
Still fretting that Nexus Cafe thing, huh?

Quote:
It would seem that the city's mission should be to encourage small businesses and entrepreneurs by creating incentives, assistance, and guidance. Rather, the city makes you jump through all kinds of hoops (permits, boards, etc.) to get anything done in the city.
Question: Where is your proof of this? And, no, something someone "told" you doesn't count.

Quote:
If the city really wants to make a comeback, shouldn't it adopt a more pro-business philosophy?
How, with nearly $6 Billion in new investments, can you honestly say that the city does not have a pro business philosophy.

Quote:
What is the city doing now to encourage small businesses, and what can we do as Clevelanders to help make our city more pro-business?
The city is doing what it can. What you can do is patronize the plethora of establishments that are open for business within the city limits.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:41 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,129,247 times
Just because someone suggests changes based on observations doesn't warrant your defensiveness Cleveland_Collector. I want Cleveland to succeed, I want it to get better, and I see a lot of city policies being a hindrance to that. If Cleveland wants to improve, we need to eliminate some of the slow, inefficient bureaucracy. There's no reason you should need as many permits, and fit as many regulations as businesses are currently required to do. The city tries to milk you for every cent it possibly can, rather than encourage business development, a short-sighted policy that actually hinders progress, as well as revenue, in the long run.

Last edited by Cleverfield; 10-18-2012 at 09:59 PM..

Old 10-18-2012, 09:50 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
I have never tried to start a business in Cleveland, but I think Cleveland_Collector does make sense here.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:10 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,320,406 times
Quote:
Just because someone suggests changes based on observations doesn't warrant your defensiveness Cleveland_Collector. I want Cleveland to succeed, I want it to get better, and I see a lot of city policies being a hindrance to that. If Cleveland wants to improve, we need to eliminate some of the slow, inefficient bureaucracy. There's no reason you should need as many permits, and fit as many regulations as businesses are currently required to do. The city tries to milk you for every cent it possibly can, rather than encourage business development, a short-sighted policy that actually hinders progress, as well as revenue, in the long run.
C_C can't help it. If you don't worship Cleveland and everything about it, he gets snotty.

You make some very good points. In fact, Reason Magazine did an article on Cleveland a couple years ago in which they stressed those very points:

Reason Magazine: How to Save Cleveland

Old 10-19-2012, 07:23 AM

^ Why don't you tell us how they get things done in Chicago?

Old 10-19-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Just because someone suggests changes based on observations doesn't warrant your defensiveness Cleveland_Collector.
I asked you some questions. If you can't handle the challenge, don't pose the argument.

Quote:
I want Cleveland to succeed, I want it to get better, and I see a lot of city policies being a hindrance to that.
What? (Or, is that "snotty" of me to ask?)

Quote:
If Cleveland wants to improve, we need to eliminate some of the slow, inefficient bureaucracy. There's no reason you should need as many permits, and fit as many regulations as businesses are currently required to do.
Name them.

Quote:
The city tries to milk you for every cent it possibly can, rather than encourage business development, a short-sighted policy that actually hinders progress, as well as revenue, in the long run.
If that was the actual fact, there would be nothing happening in the city. Yet, all I have to do is refer Costello's list in the development thread to prove that more than $6 Billion of development is happening in the city.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:45 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,945,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
C_C can't help it. If you don't worship Cleveland and everything about it, he gets snotty.

You make some very good points. In fact, Reason Magazine did an article on Cleveland a couple years ago in which they stressed those very points:

Reason Magazine: How to Save Cleveland
Interesting that ABC News is doing a feature this week on How to Save Chicago's Children. It's always a bad sign for a city to be promoting a slogan "Don't Shoot; I want to grow-up". The feature stories are really sad.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:52 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,320,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
If that was the actual fact, there would be nothing happening in the city. Yet, all I have to do is refer Costello's list in the development thread to prove that more than $6 Billion of development is happening in the city.
Is $6 billion a lot? In the context of an entire city? I have to admit, I have no frame of reference here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: