Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 12:31 PM

20 posts, read 23,881 times

Advertisements

I've recently accepted a job in the Mentor area, but as with many making job transitions, I know next to nothing about the job area.

I'm looking for specific advice about where to look for temporary housing - apartments, rentals, those kind of things. I have a vehicle, so transportation should not be an issue. I'm looking to stay on the west-side, to be closer to Cleveland. So towns I've been looking at include Mentor itself, Willoughby, Kirtland, and Eastlake.

I don't really have any grand desire to live rural; I prefer to be close to things to save myself the time. I don't have kids and am single, so schools aren't relevant. Mostly, however, I'm looking for a community of young professionals, which is why I'm turning to you. My last residence was a great area, but it was very much tuned to the "married with kids crowd" - which I am not. Further, my apartment complex was very anti-social. When I have a circle of friends I prefer that environment, but since I am moving to an entirely new area I'd ideally find a residence that is either a community itself or has nearby ones easily available.

Any suggestions of places to look for? What areas should I avoid?

If personal interests matter, I'm essentially a nerd. I like most esoteric activities - I've done zombie walks, gaming events, paintball, martial arts and fire-spinning, just to name a few. Most sports don't matter, and bars that are just focused on drinking are a low priority.

As a follow-up, since I'm moving to essentially a totally new area, I'm also looking for good social steps. I've been looking at this thread //www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...cleveland.html but more ideas specific to my interests are always welcome.

Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 04:19 PM

372 posts, read 465,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftingProfessional View Post
I've recently accepted a job in the Mentor area, but as with many making job transitions, I know next to nothing about the job area.

I'm looking for specific advice about where to look for temporary housing - apartments, rentals, those kind of things. I have a vehicle, so transportation should not be an issue. I'm looking to stay on the west-side, to be closer to Cleveland. So towns I've been looking at include Mentor itself, Willoughby, Kirtland, and Eastlake.

I don't really have any grand desire to live rural; I prefer to be close to things to save myself the time. I don't have kids and am single, so schools aren't relevant. Mostly, however, I'm looking for a community of young professionals, which is why I'm turning to you. My last residence was a great area, but it was very much tuned to the "married with kids crowd" - which I am not. Further, my apartment complex was very anti-social. When I have a circle of friends I prefer that environment, but since I am moving to an entirely new area I'd ideally find a residence that is either a community itself or has nearby ones easily available.

Any suggestions of places to look for? What areas should I avoid?

If personal interests matter, I'm essentially a nerd. I like most esoteric activities - I've done zombie walks, gaming events, paintball, martial arts and fire-spinning, just to name a few. Most sports don't matter, and bars that are just focused on drinking are a low priority.

As a follow-up, since I'm moving to essentially a totally new area, I'm also looking for good social steps. I've been looking at this thread //www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...cleveland.html but more ideas specific to my interests are always welcome.

Thanks for your time.
You said "westside", but do you mean the eastside? I am from Willoughby Hills, and I can tell you there are some really nice areas to check out, but if you're looking to get away from the family-oriented type towns, this area is chalk full of them. Depending on your commute times, I would consider something like Cleveland Heights or University Heights.

Paintball is a good time. Haven't played in years.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:01 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,430,954 times
West of Mentor.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:01 PM

bjimmy has it right. I should have been more specific, but I meant westside of Mentor.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:50 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,430,954 times
I agree with WRosado. Willoughby is nice and all, but that area is pretty much families, not many young professionals. The closer you get to Cleveland/in Cleveland, the better that scene gets. Though going to Mentor every day, I think the east side burbs isn''t a bad idea. Cleveland Heights is probably best and has the strongest community feeling to it, but University Heights and Shaker Heights are also good options. Possibly Mayfield Heights too. I can't say I really know anything at all about your activities, but you can probably find something on meetup.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:51 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,414,797 times
Quote:
I don't really have any grand desire to live rural; I prefer to be close to things to save myself the time. I don't have kids and am single, so schools aren't relevant. Mostly, however, I'm looking for a community of young professionals, which is why I'm turning to you. My last residence was a great area, but it was very much tuned to the "married with kids crowd" - which I am not.
Practically all of Lake county is suburban, family friendly towns and cities. In other words, it primarily caters to the same "married with kids crowd" that you're trying to avoid.

Have you thought about doing the reverse commute? I don't use the shoreway often enough to know for sure, but I'd imagine that the reverse commute from Cleveland to Mentor would be pretty smooth(~1/2 hr without traffic).

Quote:
Regardless of where you end up living you should keep tabs on what's going on near Case Western. I don't have any first hand experience, but if you're looking for something nerdy Case's reputation precedes itself.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:03 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,534,653 times
Fox run apartments on lost nation rd. or cobblestone behind Home Depot off the heisley rd. exit are some of the best apartments in lake county. Lots of young singles there. Mentor is a very nice area. Check out the mentor civic center and bellflower park.

There is no need to commute from Cleveland when you work in one of the best cities in lake county. Downtown willoughby is a happening place for singles social scene and if you're looking for LAN gaming that's available as well. Pinnacle woods for paintball! Stay away from eastlake on vine at and lakeshore west of vine st. Bay club apartments and Tamarac are good.

Last edited by maxmodder; 10-21-2012 at 11:18 PM..

Old 10-22-2012, 06:34 PM

I recently visited Fox Run apartments and was not particularly impressed by the staff there. It is a beautiful location, though. Cobblestone does not, unfortunately, fit one of my requirements, other it would be high on my list.

I'll look into bay club and tamarac. I'm also looking farther west for the reverse-commute suggestions.

Thank you for the insight so far, and feel free to add more.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:18 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,834,767 times
Unless you're willing to go all the way to Cleveland Heights or into Downtown Cleveland, I don't think you'll do much better than Willougby for what you're looking for. It's not a perfect fit as far as meeting young professionals, just the best one that's not 30+ minutes away.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:02 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,534,653 times
I agree. Doesn't make sense to commute all the way from Cleveland or Case Western area to Lake County when you'll be working in Mentor and that close to downtown Willoughby and Willoughby Hills for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: