Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 10:44 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,414,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguykc View Post
Toward the lake on the west side or east side (or both)? The only area of Cleveland I'm somewhat familiar with is the area around East 185th Street and Lake Shore Boulevard, but I'm not sure how much apartments in that area go for.
The 'near the lake' rule holds true throughout most of the city, but especially so in Collinwood. The part of North Collinwood that you're describing is a relatively safe, blue collar area. It's nothing worse than what you would come across in Erie. So if you're a city guy you will be fine.

It's probably just as cheap as the barrio--err, the Clark Ave neighborhood you were looking at.

Quote:
As long as I'm close to 2 or 90 (my prospective new job is located in Mentor), west side or east side doesn't make a difference to me as long as it's located within Cleveland's city limits. I'm a city guy
Eh, it would still be a pain in the neck commuting from the west side to Mentor everyday. It's certainly doable but I would advise against it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 11:09 PM

392 posts, read 1,067,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
That area is actually decent. But that is all: decent. Not great.

You aren't going to get shot and probably not going to get robbed, but there are better areas that won't cost a whole lot more.

Can we ask what your rental budget is?
Well, I am looking to stay under $600/month (if all is included) or $425-450 if I pay all utilities.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:42 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,074 times
Quote:
Well, I am looking to stay under $600/month (if all is included) or $425-450 if I pay all utilities.
The Edgewater neighborhood in Cleveland is very nice, and it's still possible to find apartments there in your price range. And if you were willing to relax your "Cleveland city only" rule just a bit, Lakewood just to the west -- which is still very dense and urban -- still offers many apartments in the $450-$600 range, most of which include heat.

And both areas are very accessible to I-90.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
It's probably just as cheap as the barrio--err, the Clark Ave neighborhood you were looking at. .
I'm guessing this is your way of saying that there are minorities in the area?

Old 11-10-2012, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
The Edgewater neighborhood in Cleveland is very nice, and it's still possible to find apartments there in your price range. And if you were willing to relax your "Cleveland city only" rule just a bit, Lakewood just to the west -- which is still very dense and urban -- still offers many apartments in the $450-$600 range, most of which include heat.

And both areas are very accessible to I-90.
I would consider any of the inner-ring suburbs, east or west. Oh, before I forget, I know someone on here will probably tell me to avoid East Cleveland so I'll save you all the trouble...I've already heard all the "horror stories" and researched that city. Aside from a LOT of boarded-up houses, EC doesn't really strike me as any kind of full-fledged "ghetto". Crime-wise, Avondale in Cincinnati and the South End of Columbus (and even the majority of the City of Erie) are MUCH worse in my opinion.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:52 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,074 times
Quote:
I would consider any of the inner-ring suburbs, east or west. Oh, before I forget, I know someone on here will probably tell me to avoid East Cleveland so I'll save you all the trouble...I've already heard all the "horror stories" and researched that city. Aside from a LOT of boarded-up houses, EC doesn't really scare me.
Well, gee, if East Cleveland doesn't bother you, then 58th and Clark ought to be fine.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:51 AM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,102 times
Quote:
I would consider any of the inner-ring suburbs, east or west. Oh, before I forget, I know someone on here will probably tell me to avoid East Cleveland so I'll save you all the trouble...I've already heard all the "horror stories" and researched that city. Aside from a LOT of boarded-up houses, EC doesn't really strike me as any kind of full-fledged "ghetto". Crime-wise, Avondale in Cincinnati and the South End of Columbus (and even the majority of the City of Erie) are MUCH worse in my opinion.
Well, you're wrong.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Well, you're wrong.
I never said that that wasn't the case. All I said is that East Cleveland doesn't meet MY classifications as a "ghetto". Now, East St. Louis, on the other hand...

Anyway, back on topic...I'm guessing that 58th and Clark isn't such a nice neighborhood. I'm leaning more toward the East 185th Street area. Working in Mentor, the commute would be easier. Plus I would be coming back to Erie on a weekly basis to visit friends/family, and having Route 2/I-90 right there is a plus as well. I thank you all for your opinions and help.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:07 PM

457 posts, read 626,951 times
If that was all I could afford, I would live there. But if I could afford to live somewhere better, I would! It's not the nicest place, that's for sure.

But we do what we can with what we have. Maybe you live there for a while and then find something better!

It is kind of a hellhole, though.

Good luck with your search!

Old 11-12-2012, 12:47 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,414,939 times
Quote:
I'm guessing this is your way of saying that there are minorities in the area?
No, it's my way of making you aware of part of the culture in the area.

But yeah, if you're worried about minorities so much then perhaps Cleveland is a bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland