Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 08:59 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
No, that's not it at all. I'm just keeping it real (check out my new status update; I think I'm sticking with that from now on). People need facts. They need the good, the bad, and the ugly. They don't need hyperbole and sugarcoating and outright deception. I'm here to provide some badly-needed balance.

From the looks of the Census figures, very few. It appears many more people want out than in.

If Chicagoans feel any "insecurity" about their city and where it stands in the grand scheme of things, I'd say it's only in comparison to NYC. And most Chicagoans truly don't care. Believe me, Chicagoans are feeling absolutely no insecurity vis-a-vis places like Cleveland.
If Chicago is such a world class city with all these great amenities, why do you, and most Chicagoans, constantly remind everyone of this fact. Shouldn't we all know these things about the Windy City? ''Sugarcoating'' ''hyperbole'' and ''outright deception'' take place in every forum. For some reason you need to spread the word about how horrible and backward Cleveland is despite leaving there in 1995; that is odd. The NYC-Chicago competition is one-way; no one in New York is feeling any insecurity vis-a-vis places like Chicago. There is no comparison between Chicago and New York; talk about hyperbole, sugarcoating and outright deception.

Last edited by Kamms; 01-03-2013 at 09:07 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
No, that's not it at all. I'm just keeping it real (check out my new status update; I think I'm sticking with that from now on). People need facts. They need the good, the bad, and the ugly. They don't need hyperbole and sugarcoating and outright deception. I'm here to provide some badly-needed balance.

From the looks of the Census figures, very few. It appears many more people want out than in.

If Chicagoans feel any "insecurity" about their city and where it stands in the grand scheme of things, I'd say it's only in comparison to NYC. And most Chicagoans truly don't care. Believe me, Chicagoans are feeling absolutely no insecurity vis-a-vis places like Cleveland.
''I'm here to provide some badly-needed balance''? You haven't lived in Cleveland in 20 years; you're fired. Look at Chicago's census figures as well; it appears many more people want out than in. Guess all those high-brow ''movies'' at the Century Mall are doing the job.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:07 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
As I recall, Chicago lost about 200,000 from 2000-2010, so let's not act like Cleveland's population losses are unique to the midwest. Hell, even the great New York City barely broke even during that count.

And trust me, there are many people in Chicago, like there are in EVERY city, who are insecure about where they live. I'm sure some River North girls wish they could be partying and dining in New York or LA, just like those girls wish they could be in Milan or Paris. Insecurity is human nature; again, not a problem unique to Cleveland.

Finally, you are not providing balance; rather, you're just regurgitating the same anti-Cleveland rhetoric that I've read in other boards. And this "I love apartments, I love public transportation, rah rah rah" is understandable, seeing as how I doubt you have any middle to high school age children. When that happens, unless you can afford private schooling, I'm guessing Oak Park or Evanston is going to get a new resident.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:15 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
''I'm here to provide some badly-needed balance''? You haven't lived in Cleveland in 20 years; you're fired. Look at Chicago's census figures as well; it appears many more people want out than in. Guess all those high-brow ''movies'' at the Century Mall are doing the job.
Three-fourths of Chicago's 2010 population loss was from the African-American community, and don't forget that it dovetails quite neatly with a ten-year period of time when upwards of 50,000 public housing units were demolished.

According to the July 2011 Census estimates, Chicago has started gaining population yet again. While Cleveland is still losing.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Three-fourths of Chicago's 2010 population loss was from the African-American community, and don't forget that it dovetails quite neatly with a ten-year period of time when upwards of 50,000 public housing units were demolished.

According to the July 2011 Census estimates, Chicago has started gaining population yet again. While Cleveland is still losing.
Oh that's right, I love how Chicagoans keep saying ''it's African-Americans leaving''; translation, Thank God. Does it matter what color the people leaving Chicago are? Chicago's racism is alive and well. Well count one more gone as I formally change my residency out of Chicago and Illinois this week; and I ain't black.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Oh that's right, I love how Chicagoans keep saying ''it's African-Americans leaving''; translation, Thank God. Does it matter what color the people leaving Chicago are? Chicago's racism is alive and well.
There is nothing "racist" about pointing out easily verifiable facts.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
There is nothing "racist" about pointing out easily verifiable facts.
Why does it have to be mentioned then? "I heard Chicago lost 200,000 people". Chicagoan: "Yeah, but it's black people leaving." Qualifying the population loss with race. Also, if the population had grown by 175,000 blacks, Chicago would be crowing about its population gain.

Last edited by Kamms; 01-03-2013 at 10:02 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Why does it have to be mentioned then?
Because it offers a plausible explanation of why there was a population loss in Chicago from 2000 to 2010, and why it doesn't necessarily mean that the city is experiencing an overall decline.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Because it offers a plausible explanation of why there was a population loss in Chicago from 2000 to 2010, and why it doesn't necessarily mean that the city is experiencing an overall decline.
Nice try; it's qualifying the loss as not being a bad thing. Odd that you ''enlightened'' ones in the Prairie State do such things.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:05 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
If Chicago is such a world class city with all these great amenities, why do you, and most Chicagoans, constantly remind everyone of this fact.
Inferiority complex to Ny and now LA. Chicago is a great city, but being in the Midwest maybe they feel they get overlooked in favor of the coastals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland