Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 11:01 AM

4 posts, read 66,779 times

Advertisements

I recently(2 months ago) purchased a townhouse where i have neighbors on both sides of me. My one neighbor is a single older woman who is a nurse and works at night. The other side is my problem. Its a middle eastern couple with 3 kids. a baby and 2 kids i would say 5-8 years old. They are constantly pounding on the floors and the walls till sometimes midnight.This goes on every night almost. I have 2 kids ages 5 and 7 so i know kids are loud sometimes but the issue arises when its betwenn 9pm and midnight. I complained to the Association and they stated that the residents are renters and they would send a letter to them as well as the owners notifying them of the complaint. Obviously they dont give a crap cuz it never got better. Last night about 9:30 pm my daughter could not sleep cuz of the noise and asked me to tell them to be quiet. So for the 1st time I walked over there and knocked on the door.The gentleman seems nice at first, i introduced myself and asked if his kids could please keep the noise down cuz the banging on the walls is keeping my children awake. He stated that its his kids and they were getting ready to go to sleep,which i know is bullcrap cuz those kids are up everynight till at least midnight. i said thank you and turned to leave, and he mumbled something rudely to me and i turned and said excuse me and he slammed the door pretty hard on me.

prior to this i contacted the Association for the noise again and they said from now on just call the police next time so its documented. I really dont want to do that, cuz they will know it was me that called since nobody lives on the other side of them, its empty.

what do i do at this point?? this guy was obviously not happy i came over, even though i was very nice about it. The noises are very loud and vibrate through my whole house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,832 times
Move into a single family home. Unfortunately, there's not much else you can do other than what you have done. A family being loud isn't a crime.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:52 AM

118 posts, read 194,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elykoj View Post

prior to this i contacted the Association for the noise again and they said from now on just call the police next time so its documented. I really dont want to do that, cuz they will know it was me that called since nobody lives on the other side of them, its empty.
You might want to take a look at the rules & regs of your townhome association. See what, if any, rules they have regarding noise. If you have rules that your neighbor is violating, keep reporting them to the association. It may well be that they are violating an association rule but not violating any law, in which case it would be appropriate to keep contacting the association and not appropriate to call the police.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:27 AM

Default well

isnt it a "crime" if noise is an issue after a certain time of the night? its called disturbing the peace. My assoociation does not state a time but they do have a form you can fill out for complaints of any kind, so i have sent one already and going to send #2 very soon. Have respect for your neighbor, you idiots. I own, they rent.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:52 PM

117 posts, read 244,259 times
Renters have more rights than actual owners. ( I really don't know if this is true but being a landlord its amazing what renters can get away with especially when your trying to kick them out for failure to pay rent)

Anyways, if your un-willing to call the cops, which you should this way it is documented and now the authorities are aware of it, retaliate.

Play music till about 12, or have your kids be loud around that time and make sure they hear it.

I used to rent a house and had some very loud neighbors that never watched their kids. First time I asked nicely to stop, they brushed me off, second time I was a little more aggressive, third time I played music till 3 in the morning. After that night I never heard another sound out of them.

This is just my opinion if I were you i'd call the police, even if they know who it is does it really matter?

Old 02-11-2013, 10:16 AM

Talking That problem is solved... lol

i have not seen cars in driveway for about a week now, yesterday i was checking my mail and met a man who said hi im the owner, just so you know the people that lived here are gone. We spoke for like an hour, and told me they pretty much trashed the place. he said no more renters and he was going to fix it up somewhat and put it up for sale but was going to lose his butt. He offered to take me inside, and WOW.. there were holes in the walls and doors, all the appliances were trashed, carpets were wasted, marker and crayon on the ceilings( thats right,on the ceilings). it apparently was not my imagination on the chaos i could hear through my walls. I am at peace now..

Old 02-12-2013, 12:36 PM

117 posts, read 244,259 times
Well I"m happy to hear that, I guess it all worked out in the end.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:52 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elykoj View Post
i have not seen cars in driveway for about a week now, yesterday i was checking my mail and met a man who said hi im the owner, just so you know the people that lived here are gone. We spoke for like an hour, and told me they pretty much trashed the place. he said no more renters and he was going to fix it up somewhat and put it up for sale but was going to lose his butt. He offered to take me inside, and WOW.. there were holes in the walls and doors, all the appliances were trashed, carpets were wasted, marker and crayon on the ceilings( thats right,on the ceilings). it apparently was not my imagination on the chaos i could hear through my walls. I am at peace now..
I'm happy for you, but I'm sad for the unit owner. He's got his work cut out for him.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:21 AM

681 posts, read 2,358,979 times
It sounds like the Association's letter to the owner worked after all. The timing between your complaint and their removal was pretty quick! Good luck with new neighbors.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:30 AM

1 posts, read 17,753 times
I moved into my townhouse 2 years ago. I had the same neighbors for the whole time until about a month ago. I have 3 little girls. Two which are handicap. Both are very heavy footed. I have tried my best to explain to my 4 an 6 year olds they have to try to walk softer but they don't understand. My new neighbors bangs on the walks so hard they knock my pictures off my walls because my daughters walks loud. The landlord makes it out to be me as the problem however I never had a complain't until these new people moved in. I try my absolute best to keep them quite but they don't sleep. Honestly I don't know what to do.. Please help anyone have any advice??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland