Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 03:18 PM

456 posts, read 774,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Well, it doesn't seem like they've done much over those 60 years to stem the tide, only in the past few. The way to attract businesses back to a region, besides tax incentives and an educated populace, is to invest in infrastructure. Cleveland's doing it right.
Having grown up in Cleveland during the 80's, believe me folks were aware of the decline and trying all kinds of efforts back then. Its a mistake to think that attempted revitalization is only a recent phenomenon. The more important question to ask is what is happening differently today that will lead to a better outcome.

Ben
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 03:43 PM

358 posts, read 621,061 times
Forbes is a trash publication. I would rather read the National Enquirer, at least they only pick on millionaire celebrities who actually love the publicity. Any one who states that NYC is one of the nation's most miserable cities has lost all credibility, even the National Enquirer would never post anything that outrageous.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:59 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,971,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_MVP View Post
Forbes is a trash publication. I would rather read the National Enquirer, at least they only pick on millionaire celebrities who actually love the publicity. Any one who states that NYC is one of the nation's most miserable cities has lost all credibility, even the National Enquirer would never post anything that outrageous.
New York is the most miserable city in the country every year, but the people who live there wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:38 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,554 times
This is a joke cleveland is more miserable than gary haha

Old 02-23-2013, 07:57 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benleis View Post
Having grown up in Cleveland during the 80's, believe me folks were aware of the decline and trying all kinds of efforts back then. Its a mistake to think that attempted revitalization is only a recent phenomenon. The more important question to ask is what is happening differently today that will lead to a better outcome.

Ben
Exactly! That's what I've been saying all along. There was tons of investment into downtown Cleveland during the 1980s, yet the city continued to decline overall. Now, perhaps it really is different this time, but I, for one, am skeptical. As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on whether a true renaissance is currently taking place.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:03 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Exactly! That's what I've been saying all along. There was tons of investment into downtown Cleveland during the 1980s, yet the city continued to decline overall. Now, perhaps it really is different this time, but I, for one, am skeptical. As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on whether a true renaissance is currently taking place.
Let's just ignore the fact that now PEOPLE live downtown. The population of downtown now is at least more than twice the population as 80s and 90s and is going up up up. Therein lies the difference. Always a better sign when you have people moving into an area, not just throw up a couple buildings to make it look pretty.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:54 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,440,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post

You know, it's funny that you said you moved from Cleveland to Chicago because you didn't feel that you were living in "a real city", but you're always on the Cleveland board talking about the situations in Cleveland. Why aren't you on you're "real city" board and talking about the things that are going in Chicago (i.e. the high homicide rate)? I guess there's nothing interesting enough on the Chicago board so you come here. At least, one thing about the Cleveland board there's a lot of pride, but we still leave enough room open to talk about the problems. Unlike, some Chicagoans who try to be arrogant and pretend that problems don't exist when it's being brought to the forefront nationally.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 02-23-2013 at 10:21 PM..

Old 02-23-2013, 10:50 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,971,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
You know, it's funny that you said you moved from Cleveland to Chicago because you didn't feel that you were living in "a real city", but you're always on the Cleveland board talking about the situations in Cleveland. Why aren't you on you're "real city" board and talking about the things that are going in Chicago (i.e. the high homicide rate)? I guess there's nothing interesting enough on the Chicago board so you come here. At least, one thing about the Cleveland board there's a lot of pride, but we still leave enough room open to talk about the problems. Unlike, some Chicagoans who try to be arrogant and pretend that problems don't exist when it's being brought to the forefront nationally.
It's been lower than Cleveland's for nine consecutive years. But really, it's best not to engage andrew61 at all when he does this. He asks what a city can do for him, not what he can do for a city, which is fine, but he has an awfully self-important attitude about it. Why let it get under your skin?

Old 02-23-2013, 11:09 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Your points fall on deaf ears.

But to be honest, I rather enjoy when andy throws his 2 cents in.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:53 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benleis View Post

Ben
People actually want to live in the city again... well, at least more people do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland