Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you categorize Cleveland?
Midwest 132 74.16%
Northeast 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 05:57 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
I'm not trying to make some dramatic point that that the Midwest is an arbitrary gray area while the NE and the South are extremely defined. I'm just saying that based on my knowledge, there tends to be more uniformity among states in the South and NE than in the Midwest, socially, politically, culturally, etc.
Nothing could be further from the truth. Do you think Asheville, NC is anything like Lake Charles, LA socially, politically, culturally, demographically, etc? You could find similar variation in the state of South Carolina alone. The Low Country (Charleston, Beaufort, Goose Creek, etc.) is nothing like the Piedmont Region (Greenville, Spartanburg, Aiken, etc.). And Charlestonians will be quick to tell you that they are NOT like those people upstate. It's still all the South, however. It's just variation within a region that's far from being monolithic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
, most NE states are liberal (except maybe New Hampshire) while most Southern states are conservative. Obviously you have noted some exceptions, but it's not on the scale like you see in the Midwest.
I think it's more fair to say that the more urban areas of the Northeast are liberal. Pennsylvania in particular has a lot of people who are economically liberal, but socially conservative. If it weren't for Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania would probably look a lot more like Georgia. The state would consistently go red with blue blobs in Eastern PA and around the college towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 06:01 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
It is midwestern with some northeast characteristics. Lots of people like to wrongly equate northeast with east coast. There is much more to the northeast than the i-95 cities.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
It is midwestern with some northeast characteristics. Lots of people like to wrongly equate northeast with east coast. There is much more to the northeast than the i-95 cities.
To me, it is solidly Midwestern. If Pittsburgh's status as a true Northeastern city can be a little questionable at times, then Cleveland, which is west of Pittsburgh, is definitely Midwestern.

I've noticed a tendency on City-Data to resist any association with anything southern (or rural) and a tendency to create a stronger association with anything northeastern, eastern, northern or urban. I mean, talking about settlers from New England is stretching things a bit far, imo.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:15 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times
Cleveland is undeniably Midwestern.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:18 AM

But I hear a lot of ridiculous stuff on here. Are geography and social studies still requirements for middle schoolers?

Quote:
I don't think of NYC as northeast, and certainly not Philly.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:54 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Pittsburgh essentially is Midwestern. I...
Seriously?

There is nothing midwestern about Pittsburgh. Buffalo, NY feels more midwestern than Pittsburgh and even that is a stretch) Pittsburgh is one of those transitional cities-but the transition is Appalachian/Northeastern

Cleveland is a transitional city: Midwest/Northeastern. I never felt I was in the midwest when visiting.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:04 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
What makes Cleveland northeastern? Only passed through briefly but it seems rather different than further east, didn't see that many similarities.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:21 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
I live in Cleveland too. It's Midwestern. Granted, it's older and has more characteristics of the Northeast, but it's not too different than Detroit, Cincinnati or Chicago, and nobody is calling those "East Coast", are they?

Old 03-06-2013, 07:23 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Seriously?

There is nothing midwestern about Pittsburgh. Buffalo, NY feels more midwestern than Pittsburgh and even that is a stretch) Pittsburgh is one of those transitional cities-but the transition is Appalachian/Northeastern

Cleveland is a transitional city: Midwest/Northeastern. I never felt I was in the midwest when visiting.
Pittsburgh looks and feels like Cleveland.
Cleveland is Midwestern.
I can see how people would consider Pittsburgh more Midwestern than Northeastern.

Besides, what truly separates the Midwest from the Northeast (especially in the 1800's!) is the Appalachian Mountains. Pittsburgh is on the wrong side of that range. Pittsburgh to me doesn't have a true regional definition like other cities do, which makes it rather strange (same could be said for Miami).

Old 03-06-2013, 07:27 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Pittsburgh looks and feels like Cleveland.
Cleveland is Midwestern.
I can see how people would consider Pittsburgh more Midwestern than Northeastern.

Besides, what truly separates the Midwest from the Northeast (especially in the 1800's!) is the Appalachian Mountains. Pittsburgh is on the wrong side of that range. Pittsburgh to me doesn't have a true regional definition like other cities do, which makes it rather strange (same could be said for Miami).
Since I was only a frequent visitor to Cleveland, i'll take your word for it. But to me, i never felt I was in the midwest.

I lived in Pittsburgh for 4 years, and there is nothing midwestern about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland