Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 05:38 AM

3 posts, read 5,179 times

Advertisements

I just moved from Lakeland Fl to Cleveland this week, any suggestions/tips for a southern born and bred?

What's all this white stuff? Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 07:53 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Welcome to the CLE.
We call it snow. Put some in your mouth (make sure it's PURE white, not brown black or yellow) and it turns into WATER. Pretty cool!

What kind of tips are you looking for?

Old 03-07-2013, 11:05 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,817 times
The secret to northern winters is layers! Wear layers. Also, give yourself twice the expexted distance when driving in the snow (plus have a snow brush).

What type of tips are you looking for ?

Tip 1) Keep warm at the breweries W.25th street (Great Lakes Brewery, Market Garden Brewery, Nano Brew)

Old 03-07-2013, 06:06 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
As a California transplant, the first two winters are the roughest, then you get accustomed and even learn to embrace it.
Costello has good suggestions (esp. the brew thing); invest in a shovel, window scraper for the car, and give yourself time for the car to warm up in the morning.
Otherwise, Cleveland seems like a great town with charm and history, so hopefully you'll find it to be a worthwhile move.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:47 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
As a California transplant, the first two winters are the roughest, then you get accustomed and even learn to embrace it.
Costello has good suggestions (esp. the brew thing); invest in a shovel, window scraper for the car, and give yourself time for the car to warm up in the morning.
Otherwise, Cleveland seems like a great town with charm and history, so hopefully you'll find it to be a worthwhile move.
As a native Clevelander, I never learned to embrace the winter lol...but you do get used to it, and you do figure out how to make the best of it...
Make sure you get a good snow brush if you have to park your car outside...the cheaper ones will not work well at all...
If you have leather seats in your car, make sure they are heated...my first car was not, big mistake...mine is heated now, and that helps lol
When driving, remember to slow down...and if you are living out on the East side or traveling out there and there are Lake Effect snows going on, you can go from driving in clear weather to all of sudden not being able to see the front of your car and several inches on the ground...so pay attention and slow down...during any snow, slow down...it should be self explanatory but too many people seem to not understand that.
Bars for beer is a great idea ...just don't drink and drive lol.
Dress in layers and make sure the outer layer is water resistent...nothing seems worse than getting wet and being cold.
Also, remember if you are on the lakefront, the wind will make it at least 5-10 degrees colder if it's blowing good. In March and April especially, inland could be 55 or 60 degrees, but it's only in the upper 40s or so right on the lake front because the water is so cold.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:31 AM

3 posts, read 5,179 times
Thanks for the tips. I bought a cheap snow brush for the car at Walmart, I'll look online and get a good one for next winter. The shovel is cheap too so hopefully we don't get any significant amounts of snow.

How about best places for groceries? Go see a movie, shopping, bars, etc. I'm near Old Brooklyn and Parma area. Most of the places look older, hard to judge which ones are good

Headin out for a run, might learn real quick about layering :/

Old 03-08-2013, 07:09 AM

3,412 posts, read 5,121,352 times
In the summer you have to go to Honey Hut ice cream. Best ice cream in Cleveland, maybe the world, and it's not too far from you.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:00 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
No way. East Coast Custard is the best.

If you have to shovel your driveway, you really need to invest in a snow blower. This is a major key to winter happiness.
20 minutes vs an hour or more...

Old 03-08-2013, 08:13 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
No way. East Coast Custard is the best.

If you have to shovel your driveway, you really need to invest in a snow blower. This is a major key to winter happiness.
20 minutes vs an hour or more...
Wrong and wrong. Mitchell's!

Old 03-17-2013, 02:11 PM

48 posts, read 93,574 times
Parma and Old Brooklyn are older and haven't really had the gentrification other neighborhoods have had. I am sure there are great places there, but I don't know them. If you're looking for more popular spots, I'd check out Ohio City and Tremont which are both nearby. The other two areas to go to are Lakewood and Cleveland Heights.

Compared to Florida, I think you will be very happy with the restaurants in Cleveland. There is a near limitless amount of awesome independently owned restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland