Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 04:22 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,817 times

Advertisements

Definitely go Downtown this Sunday, March 17 -- one hint to get started.

Where in Cleveland do you live btw?

Last edited by costello_musicman; 03-15-2013 at 04:39 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 04:26 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistakeonthelake View Post
I just moved here a couple of months ago and it can't be worse, this place is depressing and boring as hell. If you are a young adult(25-35) and are single, don't even move here. It is another thing if you grew up here or have a circle of friends around here but if you are a stranger, do yourself a favor and don't come here. There are much better progressive cities like Austin, Dallas, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Tampa etc with great weather compared to this place.

The people in Cleveland in my observation are mostly un-friendly, don't want to make new friends and are usually quite suspicious and unwelcoming towards people that just moved here. It's a surprise considering that the influx of people from Cleveland is actually one of the highest in USA, yet people are hostile towards outsiders and new comers. I have been to many a bar in Cleveland on the weekends and tried to engage in a conversation but people here don't want to talk to anyone outside their little circle. Let me not even talk about the weather, the very thought of it depresses me. Not to mention that the worst roads in the world I have ever seen(even third world countries have better roads) are in Cleveland, predominantly around the downtown but also in other areas like Lakewood.

All in all, it was a very hasty move to come down here, I am trying to get another job and quite this place ASAP, mover beware.
I love posts like these. Someone complaining about the people while presenting themselves as wholly unlikeable and not understanding why they're having such a hard time adjusting. No no, it's not you, it's 400,000 other people

Old 03-15-2013, 04:30 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistakeonthelake View Post
I have had NO(ZERO) positive experiences, I like the Beachwood Mall and hangout around there whenever possible. There are a few nice restaurants in the downtown but except for that, I don't think there's anything going on for Cleveland. People are as I said quite un-friendly, hostile and suspicious. It's maybe more due to the fact that I belong to a mixed race and not your typical White or Black specimen from Cleveland.
Your favorite experience was going to a mall... Way to get out there and experience Cleveland.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:34 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,211,615 times
I dont think Clevelanders need people like the OP...

Old 03-15-2013, 07:48 PM

236 posts, read 461,868 times
It's a shame that you feel that way, and that your experience has not been that great. I hope you find what you're looking for some place else.

I just have not heard that from others that have moved here from the west-coast, from the south, etc... They absolutley love it here. They do not see our city as industrial or gritty. They see it as progressive, artsy, eclectic, and many, many places to go for any type of experience, and amazing shopping. I love to hear their perspective of CLE, seriously! They actually know more about CLE than the natives that live here. Just engaging in conversations with them about all the developments, amazing restaurants galore, Up-town, Mid-town, downtown, the flats, 4-5 star hotels under construction, numerous jobs opportunites, Tremont, Ohio City, Lee Rd., Coventry, University Circle, the Gordon Sq. District, Little Italy, etc... I'm telling you, these new comers are so excited to be here. One gentleman told me, this city does not get the credit is seriously deserves. He is from Virgina, and he did not do half the stuff there, that he does in CLE with his wife. He said Virginia is beautiful with great beaches, but he did not get the fast-pace city life experience like here in CLE...

Last edited by LoveCleveland#1; 03-15-2013 at 08:30 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 08:22 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
I would offer some kind of comments to change your perception, but that's just not going to work. My best advice is to leave as soon as possible so that someone else with a good attitude can move in. It's all about quality, not quantity. I'd take 30 more years of population loss if everyone like you promised to leave.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:25 PM

361 posts, read 748,152 times
You have obviously never been to Bridgeport or Detroit.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:23 PM

170 posts, read 251,950 times
We are moving to Cleveland in 2 weeks from NorCal. (NorCal for 3 yrs, Western New York the other 40, oh and 1 in New Mexico). We are very excited. The positive things we have learned from our research and from very thoughtful Clevelanders here in this forum have been quite positive.

I do understand, having grown up in a rust belt city, that the areas are generational and it can appear hard to break into social groups....but appearances can be deceiving. Buffalo has amazingly friendly people, as does Pittsburgh where my sister in law moved to 3 years ago from ABQ and now owns a home there. My niece moved from Hawaii to Detroit for school and never left after graduation. Loves it.

If one consistently compares where they moved to from where they moved from....they never look forward. And miss alot of potential growing experiences, friendships, and opportunities.

It's a big beautiful country....if one does not like a place...go explore another

Old 03-16-2013, 07:44 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Not sure why you'd move to Cleveland and complain about the weather; I'd figure you'd do the research ahead of time, especially if you moved in the winter.
I won't discount your bad experiences, but as someone whose also relocated a couple times, I think you have to go at least a year before you can truly judge a place. It's tough to meet people anywhere you don't already have friends, doesn't matter the city. Most people either have a circle they grew up with, or make friends through work or school. Also, people in the Midwest tend to marry & have families earlier than other places, which can cut down on the options for a single guy/girl.
I haven't been to Cleveland much (yet), but it does seem to be built around a few key entertainment components: high culture (museums, symphony, opera), sports, and pub life. If none of those are your thing, then you might have to search harder for common interests with others. Otherwise, relocation elsewhere might be best.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:52 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I would offer some kind of comments to change your perception, but that's just not going to work. My best advice is to leave as soon as possible so that someone else with a good attitude can move in. It's all about quality, not quantity. I'd take 30 more years of population loss if everyone like you promised to leave.
You know, re-reading the OP, you're right. He didn't come here looking for suggestions, just to rant and denigrate. Wherever he goes next, he'll probably have just as tough of a time, unless it's a party town full of tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland