Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 11:16 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,242,118 times

Advertisements

If you think you're fooling me, let me be the first to say "YOU'RE NOT!" I'm a wise and seasoned individual, I can read between the lines and what I smell is a RAT!!!!

Did you think your rather "telling" PROFILE NAME would not divulge the actual truth about who you really are ....
Hmmmmmmmmm ... "MISTAKEONTHELAKE" tells me ( and other perceptive people ) that you're just another random
CLEVELAND BASHER who is too dumb to realize that maligning this city became widely unpopular once our river stopped
catching fire and we came through some extremely difficult periods of transition in a much better position.

In fact, not for a second, do I even believe that you actually LIVE IN THE CITY OF CLEVELAND! Your rants are highly
questionable ... to put it quite mildly.

Most people in Cleveland are extremely welcoming and friendly - something I hear and read about in this forum all of the
time. Being a native, I know this city inside and out - your 'suspect observations' don't really fit the city you're ranting and foaming at the mouth over. I've entertained friends who live in cities that include Chicago, Dallas and Los Angeles ... they opened their minds to the experience of Cleveland, and ended up literally RAVING WITH ENTHUSIASM over the city.

I had to laugh when you elevated cities such as Tampa and Jacksonville over Cleveland - most notably on the aspects
of culture and things to do. This all tells me that you really don't know anything about Cleveland ... oh, perhaps you just enjoy carrying on the dubious tradition of a few other posters on this forum - deriving pleasure by discrediting a very historic, sophisticated and celebrated American city.

If by chance you really are living in Cleveland, which again, I highly doubt ... one word of advice for you.
"DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU ON THE WAY OUT!!!!"

Old 03-16-2013, 11:31 PM

15 posts, read 54,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
If you think you're fooling me, let me be the first to say "YOU'RE NOT!" I'm a wise and seasoned individual, I can read between the lines and what I smell is a RAT!!!!

Did you think your rather "telling" PROFILE NAME would not divulge the actual truth about who you really are ....
Hmmmmmmmmm ... "MISTAKEONTHELAKE" tells me ( and other perceptive people ) that you're just another random
CLEVELAND BASHER who is too dumb to realize that maligning this city became widely unpopular once our river stopped
catching fire and we came through some extremely difficult periods of transition in a much better position.

In fact, not for a second, do I even believe that you actually LIVE IN THE CITY OF CLEVELAND! Your rants are highly
questionable ... to put it quite mildly.

Most people in Cleveland are extremely welcoming and friendly - something I hear and read about in this forum all of the
time. Being a native, I know this city inside and out - your 'suspect observations' don't really fit the city you're ranting and foaming at the mouth over. I've entertained friends who live in cities that include Chicago, Dallas and Los Angeles ... they opened their minds to the experience of Cleveland, and ended up literally RAVING WITH ENTHUSIASM over the city.

I had to laugh when you elevated cities such as Tampa and Jacksonville over Cleveland - most notably on the aspects
of culture and things to do. This all tells me that you really don't know anything about Cleveland ... oh, perhaps you just enjoy carrying on the dubious tradition of a few other posters on this forum - deriving pleasure by discrediting a very historic, sophisticated and celebrated American city.

If by chance you really are living in Cleveland, which again, I highly doubt ... one word of advice for you.
"DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU ON THE WAY OUT!!!!"

Whatever man, I give up. I made up that username because as I stated earlier, I hate living here and want to move out of here before I die of boredom. I do in fact live in Cleveland downtown now, if you have any doubts I shall send you over my address and you might personally come down and verify if such a place indeed exists. Your friends might have had a different experience from the one I have had here, did you even think about the fact that since you were a native and your friends from out of town knew someone who was a native(yourself in this case) their experience might have been different.

My neighbors don't talk to me inspite of saying a Hi and I assumed that they weren't too interested in talking to strangers, I guess that's fair enough. I did try to initiate conversation with people I have met at the bars only to be met with hostile behavior, concluding beyond doubt that I am unwelcome here. People here seem to definitely have a chip on their shoulders, something you made very clear from your posting. Again this isn't something I have ever observed in cities such as Jacksonville or Tampa or anywhere in the South for that matter, so don't jump to conclusions about me not even living here etc when you don't have any positive suggestions to offer.

Regarding moving out of here, I am trying my best to get out of here as much as I can. It's just that I can't afford to lose my job and become unemployed which is why I may not be able to do it immediately, not sure if you can understand what that means. Unlike you, I haven't had everything handed to me on a platter and had to make my career from scratch so before going on a rant asking people to get out of Cleveland, you should be thankful that there are people trying to make this a better place by creating employment opportunities and supporting local businesses here. I promise you though that I shall get out of here as soon as I am able to, till then I guess I would find my solace by getting out of this depressing place every weekend.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:44 PM

5,238 posts, read 7,953,726 times
Like everywhere people make friends through the same avenues, work, school, interests/hobbies, church, sports. How about family or friends of coworkers, anyone single in that group, you might ask. You will find people that have their own cliques everywhere, its not just a Cleveland thing. Bars are hit and miss, usually not the best place to meet new people, at least thats what I think. What else have you done to meet people? Do you like dogs? Go volunteer at a shelter on a Saturday, thats a way to meet new people and they aren't usually the phony types either. Feeling frustrated is one thing and most people understand that when moving to a new place, but if you run down the town then you aren't as likely to get helpful advice back. And it kinda figures, doesn't it?

Did you ever look at the Meet Up website?

This group sounds like it might be promising, the Cleveland New-In-Town or Not group. But not if go with the attitude of complaining about what an awful place it is.

http://www.meetup.com/newintown-67/

Last edited by todd00; 03-16-2013 at 11:52 PM..

Old 03-16-2013, 11:48 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,242,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistakeonthelake View Post
Whatever man, I give up. I made up that username because as I stated earlier, I hate living here and want to move out of here before I die of boredom. I do in fact live in Cleveland downtown now, if you have any doubts I shall send you over my address and you might personally come down and verify if such a place indeed exists. Your friends might have had a different experience from the one I have had here, did you even think about the fact that since you were a native and your friends from out of town knew someone who was a native(yourself in this case) their experience might have been different.

My neighbors don't talk to me in spite of saying a Hi and I assumed that they weren't too interested in talking to strangers, I guess that's fair enough. I did try to initiate conversation with people I have met at the bars only to be met with hostile behavior, concluding beyond doubt that I am unwelcome here. People here seem to definitely have a chip on their shoulders, something you made very clear from your posting. Again this isn't something I have ever observed in cities such as Jacksonville or Tampa or anywhere in the South for that matter, so don't jump to conclusions about me not even living here etc when you don't have any positive suggestions to offer.
Are you the type who can be honest with yourself? Did you ever think that you may have come here with a "chip upon your own shoulder?"

Could YOU actually be the problem ....

Are you the timid, shy type? I have a hard time believing that EVERYONE you encounter has re-buffed
you, or was unfriendly towards you ...

If you're actually in Cleveland, having a hard time making friends by visiting bars maybe you're not going to the right type of bars .... is that possible?

What about utilizing the internet to attend networking events for young professionals???

My best advice to you: Give it some time or just leave if you're truly here and that miserable.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:23 AM

19 posts, read 62,163 times
Wow! The very first weekend we went out after we moved to Lakewood, we met another couple sitting at the bar in (at that time) 3 Birds restaurant. They were waiting for a table also. We struck up a conversation, ate dinner together and had exchanged numbers by the time we left. We have been having a great time in Cleveland ever since. If anyone has a bad time, it's on them I think. Or they have the worst luck ever. What a shame.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:24 AM

11,046 posts, read 12,326,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindarogers View Post
Wow! The very first weekend we went out after we moved to Lakewood, we met another couple sitting at the bar in (at that time) 3 Birds restaurant. They were waiting for a table also. We struck up a conversation, ate dinner together and had exchanged numbers by the time we left. We have been having a great time in Cleveland ever since. If anyone has a bad time, it's on them I think. Or they have the worst luck ever. What a shame.
That's because you have social skills and don't blame other people for your shortcomings. Can't say the same about everyone.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:11 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,954,546 times
People are generally the same everywhere, even with cultural tweaks. This idea that any particular city is drastically more or less friendly seems to be the refuge of those who can't hack it where they live and wish to blame everyone else for why they're personally unable to adapt. Anecdotal, but I've never had trouble making friends or meeting nice people anywhere I've lived or visited. I'm sure most people have had similar experiences. You may meet a person here or there that is "hostile" or rude or perhaps just a bit anti-social, but on the whole, you will get back the effort that you put forth. Cleveland is no different.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:51 PM

416 posts, read 697,701 times
If you want to be negative and say you're going to have a negative and bad experience, that is what you're going to get out of it. Seems like the problem is you.

The best part is, as a former Floridian myself, Florida is an overrated joke. Tampa, Jacksonville as progressive and fun? Really!? Tampa is about as plain and boring as one can get. Only good thing about Tampa was Ybor City. Jacksonville was 700 square miles of sprawl and nothing. Enter Duval County and you were already in Jacksonville city limits. I certainly loved the big piggly wiggly warehouse on I-10, truly speaks urban sophistication. Downtown Jacksonville has more surface parking lots than Detroit, and it was deader than dead. Don't film the Walking Dead in Georgia, just cross the border into Jacksonville. From may until October Florida is hell to be in, literally. You act like life is always about the beach, it's really not, especially if you have a life and work. Although, Florida's economy is so bad that one could go to the beach if they can afford to live off unemployment. I personally loved the "hills" in south Florida. Driving I-95 or the turnpike you would see these massive landscapes raise up from Florida's flat landscape that is flatter than flat. The majestic birds flying at the tops of the hills... then that ocean breeze with those high humidity levels and temperatures in June brought that smell in through your vents because you're always running your air-conditioning. Yeah, those were the dumps. How sad.

I was in Florida's ultimate college town. Hell, even Gainesville had more urbanity than most cities in Florida outside of the Miami area. If 6 lane roads in every direction are your thing, and no pedestrian friendliness at all, Florida is great for idiots in cars. Sorry, but Florida's economy sucks, there is no diversification at all, they depend on tourism too much, and the school systems are terrible. It amazed me how many people lacked the basic skills for college.

Best part of this is, as I type this, I am getting new neighbors from Florida moving in at this very moment. I moved back north because I wanted real culture and cities. Going to Outback got old. I wanted Mama Santas in Little Italy, I got tired of Publix and wanted the Westside Market or Strip District. Vacationing in Florida is one thing, but living there is different. The fact that you compared Cleveland to Jacksonville or Tampa is funny. They can't even touch Cleveland in most departments. The fact that you mentioned Beachwood tells me you know nothing about Cleveland. Why don't you just throw in Crocker Park and Southpark while you're at it. I tried to give Florida a try. It was horrible after 5 months, but I held it out because my education is important to me. I left after two years and explored every inch of Florida including the panhandle, aka the hillbilly riviera. Florida is by far one of the most overrated states in the country. Only good thing about it was the Jupiter Inlet. Even the Florida Keys were overrated and trashy. I personally loved the night I stepped in someone's puke. Oh the good times! And not only do I have family in Florida, going to school at UF you know people from all over Florida. So it wasn't uncommon to head down to the west coast. I explored so much of Florida I began to realize how great it really isn't.

I'm sorry you don't like Cleveland. Leave like I left Florida, and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:02 PM

48 posts, read 93,148 times
Your favorite thing to do is go to Beachwood? Really? There's tons of stuff going on in Cleveland, but it sounds like you're just a lame person.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:08 PM

416 posts, read 697,701 times
We don't need to go towards personal attacks. It's already easy enough to debate a poster who tried to compare Cleveland to Tampa or Jville. Honestly, Florida doesn't have anything like UC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland