Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 05:21 PM

31 posts, read 49,570 times

Advertisements

So I'm just shooting this out there because for the past year or so I've been house hunting and thinking about where I want to end up in the long run. I'm 28, currently working at Whole Foods (for the past 5 years) and recently started substitute teaching in Pittsburgh. I haven't had much luck looking at houses in our price range since my boyfriend waits tables and most of my income is per diem. This means that we only qualify for a 50-60K mortgage. With many neighborhoods growing so quickly in the Burgh, it's making it very difficult to find something in a decent, safe neighborhood that isn't total crap. I know this is due to our price-tag constraints, but still. I'm trying to decide whether Pittsburgh is even where I would like to be in the long run. I have a lot of old friends here, and have enjoyed the past 5 years living here.. but I'm still considering my other options.

We recently took a weekend trip out to Cleveland and stayed in Lakewood. We had an awesome time visiting shops, restaurants, breweries, etc. We are rather nerdy, so access to comic shops and vintage toy stores is definitely a plus=] I loved the scene downtown, though we didn't get to spend a ton of time there. Btw, Lola's was excellent!! In shopping around online, I was pretty excited but also worried to see that even though the housing stock in our price range looks pretty wonderful, the market is plummeting. Even in University Heights, it seems that prices have dropped 50% or more in the past few years. Beautiful, well-kept homes in good neighborhoods have been on the market for 100-300 days. I am trying to read-up on the state of the city and the market online, but I think it would be better to get opinions from residents.

For those living in the Cleveland area, are there any of you who have also lived in or spent a lot of time in Pittsburgh? Is there any comparison here? I know that both are a bit gritty and have a lot of history, I'm just not sure if there's a similar vibe or not since we didn't spend much time in Cleveland. I will say that Pittsburgh has A LOT going for it as far as growth and potential are concerned. I just don't want to discount another city that I found to be awesome as well. I like a good cultural/arts scene, as well as a city with lots of good food and beer=] Pittsburgh is very diverse, and I love being in neighborhoods that embrace all ages, races, and walks of life. So overall I would say that I'm looking for a city that is a lot like Pittsburgh, but with more options for someone in my price range.

Ok, let me have it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 05:24 PM

PS-I am not a native Pittsburgher, I'm actually from the Williamsport, PA area (a very small town called Montoursville.. pop. 5,000). I also wanted you to know that I am not a raging sports fan like a lot of Pittsburghers. My boyfriend is a huge Pens fan (and I also enjoy hockey), but he isn't annoying about it. He was wondering if they air Pens games in Cleveland=]

Old 03-29-2013, 09:04 AM

306 posts, read 821,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipersrocks View Post
PS-I am not a native Pittsburgher, I'm actually from the Williamsport, PA area (a very small town called Montoursville.. pop. 5,000). I also wanted you to know that I am not a raging sports fan like a lot of Pittsburghers. My boyfriend is a huge Pens fan (and I also enjoy hockey), but he isn't annoying about it. He was wondering if they air Pens games in Cleveland=]
I'll let people more familiar with the real estate market answer your other questions, but I can answer your hockey one. The entire region receives Blue Jackets games although they are sometimes pushed to alternate channels. The Penguins are trickier. Most of Northeast Ohio falls in the Pens TV territory but the major cable operators here (Time Warner and Cox) do not carry Root Sports Pittsburgh. I have DirecTV and see all the Pens game because they do offer it. I believe satellite is the only way you can see all the games. Even if you had TW and got Center Ice, many, if not all Pens games will be blacked out.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:59 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,837,752 times
Pens games out of market? There's an internet for that.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:41 PM

Yea, we already mostly just watch games on the internet since we don't have cable. I was more wondering for going out and maybe watching a game at a bar.. oh well.

Now back to the original question...

Old 03-29-2013, 04:17 PM

48 posts, read 93,747 times
Food/music/art are great here. At $60K, you can buy in pretty much any neighborhood you want including the Heights or Lakewood. I always recommend Lakewood. It's a beautiful area with a lot to offer and is also very close to Ohio City and Tremont. The Heights are close to higher end national retailers at Beachwood, Legacy, Eton, etc. but that has no interest to me.

I wouldn't listen to the Cleveland naysayers on the board. Most of them are trolls out in the boonies totally disconnected from the world except for their shopping trips at Walmart. Cleveland is full of awesome local bars and restaurants. Once you start following them on Twitter, there's always cool stuff going on. For example, members of the Cleveland Orchestra play each month at Happy Dog (def worth checking this place out for lunch/dinner).

Old 03-29-2013, 08:18 PM

14,690 posts, read 14,668,136 times
I'm amazed at how cheap rentals can be even in the best Cleveland neighborhoods, like 3BR houses for under $800/mo in Ohio City. There's something to be said for living in a city which meets all your basic needs and entertainment options while giving you all the extra spending money to do it.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:53 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,663,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I'm amazed at how cheap rentals can be even in the best Cleveland neighborhoods, like 3BR houses for under $800/mo in Ohio City. There's something to be said for living in a city which meets all your basic needs and entertainment options while giving you all the extra spending money to do it.
^ This. Pittsburgh used to be just as affordable, but now that it is "like, OMG, sooooo trendy and cool and junk" rental rates have shot through the roof over the past several years. We pay almost that much for a 1-BR portion of a rowhome in a neighborhood without a business district. We are in the same situation as pipersrocks. We're in our mid-20s and are looking to buy our first home on a limited budget that would have afforded us livable homes in safe neighborhoods just a few years ago but now proves quite challenging and forboding. Housing prices are apparently rising more quickly here than real wages, which may just cause a mini-bubble here in the coming years.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:12 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,145,078 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh used to be just as affordable, but now that it is "like, OMG, sooooo trendy and cool and junk" rental rates have shot through the roof over the past several years.
No, it's what the market is doing. The rental market in Pgh is extremely tight. Rates are up just because of "trendy and cool"

Old 04-02-2013, 10:07 AM

11,074 posts, read 12,474,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
No, it's what the market is doing. The rental market in Pgh is extremely tight. Rates are up just because of "trendy and cool"
THat's exactly what the person said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland