Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 03:35 PM

708 posts, read 1,816,201 times

Advertisements

Does anybody have any idea what they are planning on doing with that building??? Or even Randall Park Mall for that matter...Its looks Terrible over there.....Randall Mall was once the hang out....Now it saddens me that it looks soo bad....My mom worked at that Holiday inn for 15 Years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 08:27 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,708,993 times
Randall Park Mall makeover moves along; Ohio Technical College might move there from Cleveland | cleveland.com

Last I heard...

Old 06-30-2011, 08:48 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,708,993 times
Teh Internet: still has not ceased to amaze me....

After a quick google around:

Abandoned Hotel in Ohio

Here's the hard to read text at the top.
[LEFT]

"These are pictures from two separate adventures into an abandoned hotel in the area of Randall Park, Ohio.

The first adventure was cut short by weather and a lack of lighting, for both photography and to simply navigate the building.

What is unique about this hotel is that there are stacks of stuff, all of its kind, with price tags and everything, stacked in huge piles on the ground floor. What Scott and I think is that after the fire, all this stuff was appraised for insurance, and subquently abandoned since 1991-2. We think it was 91-92 because there are lots of phone books with those dates everywhere. I haven't been able to find any hard information on this hotel on the internet, so if anyone has any, I would love to hear it!

These sets of pictures are from the first attempt, and focus mostly on the area of the fire on the ground floor. From what we could see, it was fairly small, but produced a LOT of smoke damage.
[/LEFT]

Old 06-30-2011, 03:11 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,179,487 times
That old hotel is supposed to be leveled and replaced with a medical facility. The plans are currently on hold. Yes, what has happened to that area is quite a shame. Though, it was an ill-conceived plan from the beginning and DeBartolo knew it. You can't just plop a high-end mall in an area and then expect it to change for the better.

I was in it right before Sears closed a couple of years ago. It was in surprisingly good shape for being mostly abandoned. I can see it being rehabbed fairly easily. It's a modern structure which could serve many purposes.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
That old hotel is supposed to be leveled and replaced with a medical facility. The plans are currently on hold. Yes, what has happened to that area is quite a shame. Though, it was an ill-conceived plan from the beginning and DeBartolo knew it. You can't just plop a high-end mall in an area and then expect it to change for the better.

I was in it right before Sears closed a couple of years ago. It was in surprisingly good shape for being mostly abandoned. I can see it being rehabbed fairly easily. It's a modern structure which could serve many purposes.
I agree with that...it could serve many purposes....That medical facility was supposed to have been finished in 2009....does DeBartolo also own Thistledown????

Old 07-01-2011, 07:54 AM

306 posts, read 821,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa12230 View Post
I agree with that...it could serve many purposes....That medical facility was supposed to have been finished in 2009....does DeBartolo also own Thistledown????
Nope, DeBartolo sold the track to Magna Racetracks many years ago. Magna went bankrupt and Harrah's/Caesars has acquired the racetrack in anticipation of racinos opening up in the state. For that matter, DeBartolo and the affiliated Simon haven't owned the mall in many years. They sold it in the early 2000s to an absentee landlord which helped the mall decline even quicker.

The old hotel property is owned by North Randall. The village is broke and can't afford to tear it down. Unless you see Caesars buy the property, I have a feeling it may be sitting there for several more decades.

The previous posts are correct. The Mall itself was still in very good shape structurally when it closed its doors. It was only 10-15 years ago when the mall saw a minor renovation and it added the now closed movie theatre. As that area declined, and Beachwood Place expanded during 90s, that was the end for North Randall. By the time that they made some changes to the mall, it was too late. That renovation and theater addition should've happened before Beachwood ever expanded. Perhaps it would've softened the blow. The Burlington there is still open as it's not very old. I believe that it opened around the time that the mall had its little comeback period when the theatre opened.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:18 PM

420 posts, read 1,042,734 times
Randell Park Mall was the bomb , when first opened ( of course I was there a few years after it opened) . I was just a kid , but it was something grand . There are many reasons for it's
closing . but I'll keep silent on that , because that would not be ansewering th OP's question

Old 07-01-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydudeallover View Post
Randell Park Mall was the bomb , when first opened ( of course I was there a few years after it opened) . I was just a kid , but it was something grand . There are many reasons for it's
closing . but I'll keep silent on that , because that would not be ansewering th OP's question
I know what you mean

Old 07-03-2011, 03:17 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,623,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydudeallover View Post

The Randall Park mall was home to a rough crowd during it's final years.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:15 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,179,487 times
Meh, I went there up until everything closed down. I shopped at the Sears until it closed in 2009. I never had nor saw a problem. A lot of it had to do with a certain suburban element not wanting to be around "those people." Otherwise, the place was pretty secure. And, don't even start with the "riot." It was an isolated incident. They have them at just about every Wal-Mart in the country on Black Friday .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland