Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2007, 03:43 PM

144 posts, read 158,696 times

Advertisements

Recently I posted a thread about a possible move to Cleveland or Chicago. My Cleveland neighborhood interests were in downtown or close on the westside of the city. The high murder and crime rates are starting to be a concern of mine. Is this high crime rate throughout most of the city? I do not want to live in a suburb! Cleveland is still a consideration of mine since most of my family is a hour or so away. I don't want to choose the wrong city for me. I'm from Ohio(florida for now) but more familiar with Chicago then Cleveland. Please help.Tell me the bad areas and good ones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 07:39 PM

15 posts, read 86,991 times
Personally, I love living in the city (I live on the west side,) and wouldn't trade it for anything. I'd agree that Cleveland has crime issues, but I don't think they're bad enough to be a deal breaker- I've never had any problems, for what that's worth. Overall, crime is down in the city, but homicides are slightly up compared to the same time last year. Property crimes outnumber violent crimes, and most violent crime is linked to gangs and/or drugs. If you're not involved with either of those, then honestly, you won't have much trouble with crime, especially on the west side or downtown.

If you're thinking of Ohio City or Tremont, the northern parts of those neighborhoods are very gentrified and have less crime than the southern parts, although that's a generalization. The only area I would avoid on the west side is a swath from the eastern edge of Tremont to about W. 50, between Lorain and Clark avenues. Edgewater and Westpark have very low incidences of violent crime, but are farther from downtown.

You might be interested in the Stonebridge development on the west bank of the Flats (technically part of Ohio City.) I've heard that the area looks sketchy but is actually very safe, probably due to all the development in the vicinity. Downtown, the DCA (Downtown Cleveland Alliance) does patrols, which has helped curb crime- in fact, the third district (including downtown) had the lowest violent crime rate in the city last year.

Overall, I'd say that downtown and the west side are pretty safe bets. Like I said before, most violent crime is drug and gang-related, and a large amount of that is on the east side. Every city has crime, and Cleveland is no exception, but if you're expecting an urban environment, I don't think you'll be surprised with the level. Good luck with your search!

Last edited by Yac; 11-01-2007 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: link to a competitors forum removed

Old 10-31-2007, 07:46 PM

144 posts, read 158,696 times
Thank you for the response, very helpful.

Last edited by Yac; 11-01-2007 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: link to a competitors forum removed

Old 11-05-2007, 10:24 PM

286 posts, read 1,586,749 times
Honestly....

Violent crime, as already stated, is mostly amongst the bottom feeders and geared towards people they have a common interest with. I will say, though, there is greater chance of dealing with non violent crime if you're in downtown. I only worked at my downtown job for a month before my vehicle was broken into during business hours (between 12-5pm) just over a real crappy stereo that was probably worth less than the window they broke to get to it.

No matter what, larger cities are going to have higher crime. That is just a given and something that we have to accept. However..... if you're looking to purchase your next home, Chicago definitely can't touch the C-land area housing prices right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland