Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 08:52 PM

6 posts, read 26,960 times

Advertisements

I'm glad you had such a positive experience in Cleveland, Paintballer! Naturally, our opinions are based on our personal experiences. Myself, I have a sentimental attachment to the area because I was born there and lived there for most of my life. But I have been living in the bluegrass area of Kentucky for 7 years, and when I go back to Cleveland I am appalled by how dirty and rundown it is now. The roads are in horrible repair, there are derelict buildings everywhere. It seems almost post-apocalyptic.
My family and friends still there have increasingly nightmarish tales to tell about deteriorating services, etc. My mother is a realtor - has been since 1964. She says she has never seen so many houses for sale, but there are no buyers of the mid-price or lower priced homes. The 350K plus homes in the wealthier suburbs are still selling, though. The rich get richer, I guess. Everyone else is screwed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2006, 06:26 PM

976 posts, read 3,859,926 times
^Thanks, Mimsmitty. Its really bad when people treat Cleveland likes its Detroit or Milwaukee. These two cities wish they could have Cleveland's worse problems for their better ones. Every major city has its run down areas, and areas you should avoid. The reason i liked working in Cleveland was because there was never a dual moment. We were always getting new projects, and that is the best part of the job is getting new projects. Cleveland has many of them. BTW, I love Kentucky. I really like Lexington, although im not a big fan of Louisville. My neighbors are from the Lexington area. Anyway, Cleveland is experiencing a new boom, and i hope more and more people appreciate it.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,458 times
I grew up in Mayfield Hts (east side) and now live in Parma (west side). The west side has MUCH less snow.

Mayfield Hts has excellent schools and is close to I-271. Lots of shopping. Very safe. The traffic has gotten very bad on Mayfield Rd but it can be avoided once you get comforatble with the area. It has some very affordable homes.

Parma is safe and very affordable. The north side is comprised of mostly bungalows the south is mostly ranches. Schools are okay. There is shopping but it is spread out over different parts of the city rather than being centrally located.

I would also consider independence, broadview hts, brecksville because of it's proximity to I-77 you can drive to downtown Cleveland or Akron in less that 30 minutes. They all also have excellent schools.

Medina County is the third fastest growing county in the state. However, the commute on I-71 is pretty bad. There are plenty of people who moved to Brunswick got sick of the drive and moved back to an inner ring burb such as Lakewood.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:33 PM

9 posts, read 29,286 times
Default Think about it.

Cleveland is a nice town. (She says after her first 5 years of -------- about it.) The quality of life is exceptional. I have lived all over the country except in the Carolinas where you are coming from. Each area has it's positives and negatives but you don't find nicer people than in Ohio. But in reading these forums I notice that a lot of people are suggesting the suburbs and mostly outer ring. I strongly recommend you rent a home for a year in the area that you are thinking of moving into. The housing market is very slow here and you can find a lot of good rentals. I personally find Painsville, Mentor, Twinsburgh, Concord, and Streetboro, etc. boring and very "white bread". We're all different with different needs and once you know where you will be settling as far as work goes consider an easy commute from there for your first place with schools being an issue. There are many fine private schools in the area. Shaker Heights, where I current live is wonderful and the Fernway area there is known for kids and schools. You have access to downtown and the burbs from Shaker or Cleveland Heights. The Western inner suburbs are awesome. Depends upon what you want. But you need to be here, live here, explore here, taste here and get a feel for where you finally want to settle.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiyc View Post
Thanks Paintballer, I've been waiting for your response! I must say that I am relieved to hear such nice things about Cleveland, since we've never been there. And we're only going to be about a 5 hour drive from our home town of Syracuse, which will be nice. Right now we're probably 13 hours! Cleveland sounds like good people, which will be so nice. Down here in SC, the people aren't so friendly, and it depresses me, since I'm a very friendly person. It really was a shock to me.
Anyway, we actually are waiting to find out where they are putting my husband. He could be in downtown Cleveland, Mentor, Lorain, Ravenna, Parma, or Medina. I know! From what it looks like, they all aren't too far from each other, is that right? Yeah, I figured some of those areas that I mentioned where ritzy. I'm thinking maybe we will rent, since we will be arriving right in the middle of winter. Then we will have time to learn the areas, and in the spring start looking in to buying again. Is there any definate areas to stay away from?
Also, not sure if you have pets, but do you, or anyone else reading this, know of a good vet to recommend? Well thanks again for all your info. Anything else you think of that could help, I'm all ears.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:15 AM

48 posts, read 212,553 times
I don't know what Paintballer knows obviously, but he sure paints Cleveland with a pretty brush.

The economy is stagnant, the housing market is abysmll and the weather is a perpetual gray. This is good living?

I can't wait to get out of here and hope the last person out turns out the lights.
I'm a lifelong Clevelander and have seen the boom times and the bust and right now, like a lot of the country, were in a bust.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:08 PM

3 posts, read 12,958 times
Cleveland isn't nearly as bad as its reputation, and has a number of very redeemable qualities. Specifically: the art museum is fantastic (although it is under renovation for the next 4 years), and there are some cool neighborhoods like Coventry, Ohio City, and Tremont to hang out in. However, downtown is still fairly dead at night, although they are trying to pick it up a bit around east 4th street. The fact of the matter is that outside of Chicago, no city in the midwest of the US has much to offer, except as possibly being a nice safe (read boring) place to raise a family. I understand why this draws people, and in fact I benefited greatly from growing up in such a community. But for someone young, who is used to a multicultural, internationally minded city that is teeming with vivacity and excitement, well there isn't much to do except move to New York or the West Coast and pay a fortune for it. But that's America for you. This is the dilemna I have been facing ever since moving back home after having lived overseas for most of the last four years, and I still haven't figured out how to deal with it.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:33 PM

976 posts, read 3,859,926 times
Thanks, estrogen. That is your opinion, and thank you for expressing it. I have not painted any image of Cleveland. I speak the truth. I worked for the city for over two years. I know what i am talking about. I enjoyed my time living in Cleveland.

Old 12-24-2006, 02:03 PM

53 posts, read 204,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdaddy View Post
Cleveland isn't nearly as bad as its reputation, and has a number of very redeemable qualities. Specifically: the art museum is fantastic (although it is under renovation for the next 4 years), and there are some cool neighborhoods like Coventry, Ohio City, and Tremont to hang out in. However, downtown is still fairly dead at night, although they are trying to pick it up a bit around east 4th street. The fact of the matter is that outside of Chicago, no city in the midwest of the US has much to offer, except as possibly being a nice safe (read boring) place to raise a family. I understand why this draws people, and in fact I benefited greatly from growing up in such a community. But for someone young, who is used to a multicultural, internationally minded city that is teeming with vivacity and excitement, well there isn't much to do except move to New York or the West Coast and pay a fortune for it. But that's America for you. This is the dilemna I have been facing ever since moving back home after having lived overseas for most of the last four years, and I still haven't figured out how to deal with it.

This is exactly the predicament my fiance and I are in. We just lived in Montreal temporarily for 2 years. It was relatively affordable and anyone will tell you there is nothing like Montreal in the summer. Its all the things you speak of above and then some. The downtown is closed off every weekend practically over the summer to host events that draw 100,000 people at times like the formula one grand prix, international jazz fest, and many others. The city and the people have quite the "anything goes" mentality if you happen to venture out at night. Unfortunately the west coast is too far from family and along with nyc, they are out of our price range. By chance, Cleveland will be our future home, and we intend to make the best of low cost living and hope to find some like minded people as we go through our daily routine and when we happen to venture out at times. Otherwise, it is a good central point to travel to other cities when we feel we have to get out.

Old 12-25-2006, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,461 times
I'm im Willoughby on the east side and I have to say I love it. Friendly people, quiet neighbourhoods, in general very nice. Having said that I only moved here about 15 months ago from Britain, but first impressions count

Have friends here in Eastlake and Willoughby Hills which are also nice areas (I'm told the Eastlake schools are very good, but I can't vouch for that )

Old 12-25-2006, 05:26 PM

27 posts, read 135,408 times
I have lived in the Cleveland area on and off for 25 yrs. Paint baller are you from Ohio? How many years have you lived here? You talk as if you are from a glorious place. I am on the west side of Cleveland by Medina and this is not experience that you are having.

My own home here was bought in 92 for 200K and after investing about 60K upgrades like granite counters, slate floors, stainless appliances, etc. I would do well if I could get 240 for this place.

Ohio is falling apart at the seams. Businesses are leaving, roads are a mess, real estate is falling apart. In Medina 4 builders have gone bankrupt recently.

It is cold, damp, gray in the winter. We have military planes spraying their chem trails all over our skies...and no they are not "con trails" these are chem trails, big difference.

I would not advise anyone to move to Ohio unless they have a job transfer for a good job and I mean and over the top job that would justify living here.

If you are planning to move here, I say come here a few times and take a look around. Look at the real estate, the roads, look up EPA reports, etc. Ohio is one of the most polluted states in the US.

Just my opinion but I am not looking at Ohio through rose color lenses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland