Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 08:11 PM

233 posts, read 455,002 times

Advertisements

Clevelanders especially the auto centric ones annoy me. They all complain that the shoreway closure is causing extreme congestion but they choose not to do the most simple thing. CATCH THE TRAIN!!!! It's not hard find your nearest station, park your car, pay your fare and ride to work and continue to do so until it isn't convenient for you anymore. I swear I believe some people refuse to catch the train and think it's for the scum of the world. If you really have that big of an issue with the traffic use the great resource we have which is rail and stop complaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 08:19 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Thank you! My god am I annoyed by some of these people. Really?
And it is THE SHOREWAY we are taking about here. Not 90.
There are 30 other ways to get downtown NOT COUNTING THE RAPID.
Suck it up. Be glad this is happening here.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:23 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr216 View Post
Clevelanders especially the auto centric ones annoy me. They all complain that the shoreway closure is causing extreme congestion but they choose not to do the most simple thing. CATCH THE TRAIN!!!! It's not hard find your nearest station, park your car, pay your fare and ride to work and continue to do so until it isn't convenient for you anymore. I swear I believe some people refuse to catch the train and think it's for the scum of the world. If you really have that big of an issue with the traffic use the great resource we have which is rail and stop complaining.
Clevelanders have a weird thing against public transportation. I've met more than a few people that don't even know where the Red/Blue/Green lines go. Totally underappreciated public transit.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:46 AM

233 posts, read 455,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Clevelanders have a weird thing against public transportation. I've met more than a few people that don't even know where the Red/Blue/Green lines go. Totally underappreciated public transit.
Which I don't understand while we don't have an elaborate system like NYC, or Chicago it is still pretty useful and drops people off at core areas whether it's University Circle, Downtown or the Airport. I get tired of watching the news and seeing them interview people who are complaining about gridlock. The red line two car train set up holds 300 people including standing room and they can add multiple other cars to hold the volume. Instead of waiting two hours in traffic they could be to work in 20-30 minutes.

I also think the people who have a problem with transit are the ones that grew up in the auto centric era in the 50's-70s. The younger residents have no issue with riding public transit. I'm 20 years old and I enjoy riding the train as I see it as convenient. It's the older residents that complain.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr216 View Post
Which I don't understand while we don't have an elaborate system like NYC, or Chicago it is still pretty useful and drops people off at core areas whether it's University Circle, Downtown or the Airport. I get tired of watching the news and seeing them interview people who are complaining about gridlock. The red line two car train set up holds 300 people including standing room and they can add multiple other cars to hold the volume. Instead of waiting two hours in traffic they could be to work in 20-30 minutes.

I also think the people who have a problem with transit are the ones that grew up in the auto centric era in the 50's-70s. The younger residents have no issue with riding public transit. I'm 20 years old and I enjoy riding the train as I see it as convenient. It's the older residents that complain.
Right, RTA's service isn't nearly as expansive or frequent as those cities (related to the lack of people using it?), but honestly, if you know the rapid schedule and plan accordingly, it's fine. If you live in the city proper or a close suburb, I think public transit is pretty decent, between rapid, buses, health line. When I lived in Cleveland, I didn't own a car. Problem is, most people keep running away from the city and suburbs because they want that 1950s BS lifestyle.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:06 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,063 times
The train is nice under certain situations, but it's fairly limited, IMO. You give up a lot of flexibility for not a lot (if any) time savings.

Last edited by L2DB; 06-03-2013 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: busses are even more lol

Old 06-03-2013, 08:02 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
There's a stigma about using public transit in Cleveland that doesn't exist in major cities like NYC, Chicago, Boston, DC, SF... If you use public transit in Cleveland, people assume you're either poor, have health issues that prevent you from driving (vision, etc.) or have lost your license due to DUI or whatever. Cleveland, sadly, is an automobile-centric culture. And the fact that the expressways are relatively unclogged with traffic only encourages that mentality.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
There's a stigma about using public transit in Cleveland that doesn't exist in major cities like NYC, Chicago, Boston, DC, SF... If you use public transit in Cleveland, people assume you're either poor, have health issues that prevent you from driving (vision, etc.) or have lost your license due to DUI or whatever. Cleveland, sadly, is an automobile-centric culture. And the fact that the expressways are relatively unclogged with traffic only encourages that mentality.
This is true. Don't really understand it.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:53 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,872 times
It would help if the Rapid actually went to some suburbs, instead of stopping at the airport. I catch it at the Brook Park station, but that lot is completely full by 8, and for people who live in Parma, Royalton, Strongsville, Avon Lake, Westlake, Bay, Middleburgh. Berea, etc it is just not time efficient. Why drive for 20 minutes to catch a train that will take another 20 minutes, when you can just drive for 25 minutes? Plus the roving packs of ghetto youth at Public Square are not going to get people on the train anytime soon. All this being said, I so am taking the Rapid the next two weeks.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
It would help if the Rapid actually went to some suburbs, instead of stopping at the airport. I catch it at the Brook Park station, but that lot is completely full by 8, and for people who live in Parma, Royalton, Strongsville, Avon Lake, Westlake, Bay, Middleburgh. Berea, etc it is just not time efficient. Why drive for 20 minutes to catch a train that will take another 20 minutes, when you can just drive for 25 minutes? Plus the roving packs of ghetto youth at Public Square are not going to get people on the train anytime soon. All this being said, I so am taking the Rapid the next two weeks.
No, what would help is if people lived in the city. Completely against bowing to the will of wasteful suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland