U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2013, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Fairfax County, VA
3,719 posts, read 5,090,288 times
Reputation: 1467

Advertisements

If both the Cleveland Browns and Cleveland Cavaliers decided to change their names to something that is more geographically based or culture based, what name do you think would fit?

Mind you, I know this will never happen but I'm doing this just for fun.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2013, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Beachwood, OH
1,135 posts, read 1,580,378 times
Reputation: 978
Browns name is already culture-based, IMO. Can't think of anything for the Cavs...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2013, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH
9,829 posts, read 9,123,042 times
Reputation: 8830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
If both the Cleveland Browns and Cleveland Cavaliers decided to change their names to something that is more geographically based or culture based, what name do you think would fit?

Mind you, I know this will never happen but I'm doing this just for fun.
Not for the Indians?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2013, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Beachwood, OH
1,135 posts, read 1,580,378 times
Reputation: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Not for the Indians?
It's already based on the local Indian culture, obv.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2013, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Cleveland
3,238 posts, read 4,216,419 times
Reputation: 2570
My old high school teacher had a theory that the reason Cleveland sports teams always lose is because their names suck. Indians is racist, Browns makes you think of something smelly and disgusting, and Cavalier means arrogant and apathetic.

Some of our minor league teams have better names. I like Cleveland Crunch, Gladiators, Rockers, Force, even Lake Erie Monsters.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2013, 04:50 PM
 
Location: livin' the good life on America's favorite island
2,197 posts, read 3,895,212 times
Reputation: 1323
Burning River Rockers
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2013, 04:53 PM
 
178 posts, read 377,453 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
My old high school teacher had a theory that the reason Cleveland sports teams always lose is because their names suck. Indians is racist, Browns makes you think of something smelly and disgusting, and Cavalier means arrogant and apathetic.

Some of our minor league teams have better names. I like Cleveland Crunch, Gladiators, Rockers, Force, even Lake Erie Monsters.
I completely agree with this comment. All of the major teams should change their names. Who knows that may even boost the team's performance. Cleveland must have a MLS (major league soccer) team and a cool name!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2013, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH
9,829 posts, read 9,123,042 times
Reputation: 8830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
My old high school teacher had a theory that the reason Cleveland sports teams always lose is because their names suck. Indians is racist, Browns makes you think of something smelly and disgusting, and Cavalier means arrogant and apathetic.

Some of our minor league teams have better names. I like Cleveland Crunch, Gladiators, Rockers, Force, even Lake Erie Monsters.
The Lake Erie Monsters is the best name. Sorry, but the rest of those names suck. Especially the Force. What is that? Also, what's a crunch?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2013, 06:22 AM
 
2,138 posts, read 5,046,164 times
Reputation: 3146
Browns would be the Bulldogs or Dawgs would be probably best. Cavs would have been Rockers (if now defunct WNBA didn't take it) but would be Marauders or Outlaws. Indians would be Spiders. You could change the name to the " Cleveland Super Bowl Guaranteed Winners" and they would still lose because God absolutely hates Cleveland. Take the Miami back to back championships as they most recent example.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2013, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH
9,829 posts, read 9,123,042 times
Reputation: 8830
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Browns would be the Bulldogs or Dawgs would be probably best. Cavs would have been Rockers (if now defunct WNBA didn't take it) but would be Marauders or Outlaws. Indians would be Spiders. You could change the name to the " Cleveland Super Bowl Guaranteed Winners" and they would still lose because God absolutely hates Cleveland. Take the Miami back to back championships as they most recent example.
... game 7??

I actually kinda like the Cleveland Spiders. I would support a change back to that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top