Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 4,108 times

Advertisements

There is a very good possibility I will be relocating to Northeast Ohio for a job in Solon. Truth be told, I have lived in mid-west and Northwest Ohio all my life and know nothing of the Cleveland area... driven around it once on 90 and that is the extent of my "visit" to the area.

I have heard Solon is on the pricey side as far as housing costs go. I am looking to rent, preferably not an apartment; townhouse/single family home would be perfect. I have had bad experiences in apartments with noisy neighbors and want to avoid that as much as I possibly can. And I need a garage for my motorcycle. That makes things tricky to stay in a price point of $750 max.

Basically, I am leaning towards anything east of 77 as far as proximity to work. Right now my commute is about 8 minutes, and I am well aware that that is going to change. My number one factor (aside cost) is safety. Period. I know crime can strike anywhere, but obviously some areas are worse than others as we all know. Schools, shopping, night life, etc. are not really important.

So, east of 77 has a lot of neighborhoods. I'd like to keep my commute as close to 45 mins. max as possible. Cleveland Heights and Beachwood I have heard are good, so what can you all tell me about other "east of 77" neighborhoods?? Keep in mind, I know NOTHING haha.

Also, any ideas as far as where to look for listings aside from the big ones like craigslist or the typical apartment sites, like Cleveland-area newspapers or rental "catalogs" would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 09:56 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,307 times
I think you're going to have a tough time finding a townhome/single family house with a garage at that price point. I expect you'd need to be in the $850+ range for that in Cleveland Heights to not be in a sketchy part - IDK.

I think your best bet would be to maybe look South or East of Solon away from the city. Less inventory, but my thinking would be that it might be cheaper because of the greater distance to the city.

Good luck.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:57 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Twinsburg, Macedonia, Oakwood, Northfield, Walton Hills, Bedford, Valley View, Independence, Moreland Hills, Pepper Pike, Orange.... really anything South of 480 and east of 77 if you want to be as close to Solon as possible.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:15 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,127,706 times
There are a lot of 2 family homes in the Cleveland area, if that would be something you'd be interested in. Try looking in Bedford, which is very close to Solon. I know of a few places around there that go for about $600 a month per side.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:03 PM

367 posts, read 622,162 times
You're going to have a tough time at that price point finding anything but apartments, which is doable in Cleveland Heights. Check out padmapper.com...

Old 06-26-2013, 07:39 AM

E189th and Restor, west of Warrensville Center Rd... I am assuming it is considered Lee-Miles area. Thoughts??

Old 06-26-2013, 08:30 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,307 times
Meh. It's probably safe enough, but you're living there more because you need a garage and to stay in your price point than because it's nice.

Personally, I'd bite the bullet and look for an apartment/duplex with a garage space in a nicer area and take my chances on the noise thing.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:39 AM

I understand I am asking a lot for my price range. Have been trying to look south of Solon but haven't had much luck there either as far as even finding any listings. If I get closer to Akron, no problems, but then I face a longer commute. I probably wouldn't mind a shared home as long as I was on the top floor, but then I get worried about whether my big a** couch would make it up the stairs in some of the ones I have seen.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:50 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,127,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rider View Post
E189th and Restor, west of Warrensville Center Rd... I am assuming it is considered Lee-Miles area. Thoughts??
It might be okay, just expect the area to be almost 100% African American, and a lot of poverty. That doesn't mean I wouldn't do it though, just make sure you're comfortable with that.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:48 PM

4,536 posts, read 5,103,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
It might be okay, just expect the area to be almost 100% African American, and a lot of poverty. That doesn't mean I wouldn't do it though, just make sure you're comfortable with that.
Sorry to break it to you, Cleverfield, African Americans don't automatically = poverty. To say the area around E. 189th & Restor is poor is beyond stupid. This is a solidly middle class area with 60s era homes, most with built in 2-car garages and are in fine shape.

zx6rider, you should do a Google Street View of this area, and you'll see what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland