Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 09:10 PM

23,896 posts, read 32,199,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesable View Post
Wow man, there is a lot of ridiculous stuff on in this post.

Personally, If it's cold I'm going to put a coat on and go out and enjoy all of the activities going on year round here that you're either too lazy, closed minded or too uninteresting to enjoy. NE Ohio has 20 counties and a population of 4.5 million people. If you can't find something to do here than I don't know what to tell you.

I love it here! I'm originally from Stony Brook NY and left because I the high cost of living.

We first tried PA, but that particular region turned out to be a bad fit for us. We were warned, but didn't listen.

We found a home quickly here - in North East PA, a seller actually would not sell us a house because we were "not from the area".

People here are friendly and open to new comers.

There is no locked fence around North Eastern Ohio. If you seriously hate it - leave!

I admit that PA was a mistake, and NY State, too expensive.

We really love it here! But if you don't why not move?

Life is too short to live in a place where you are unhappy - and attempt to make others wallow with you in your misery.

The complaints get old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 12:52 AM

11 posts, read 18,301 times
Wow! Thank you for all your wonderful replies and beautiful winter pictures.

I will admit I was seriously hesitant and a little nervous when I would contemplate moving to Ohio, but after hearing other California refugees experiences has chilled me out a bit.

I'm just nervous about relocating... I think it could be anywhere honestly. I'm just about to start a new chapter in my life; its a huge change and I'm of course over thinking it worrying that I'm about to make a mistake.

The Cleveland/Akron areas sound like a good fit, and I'm going to focus my search in Lakewood, Cleveland Heights, Rocky, and some of the western Akron suburbs. My husband has also found a couple leads in the Pittsburgh, PA area, although I've heard they endure a harsher winter in that area?

Thanks again!!

Cass

Old 07-16-2013, 05:30 AM

11,046 posts, read 12,341,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher23 View Post

This couldn't be the any further from the truth, if you are a fit and active person and likes doing outdoor activities, then be prepared for about 7 months in the winter of being indoors.
I've noticed that every time you post about the weather (80% of posts), the winter in Cleveland gets 1 month longer each time.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:35 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,371,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasitacass View Post
Wow! Thank you for all your wonderful replies and beautiful winter pictures.

I will admit I was seriously hesitant and a little nervous when I would contemplate moving to Ohio, but after hearing other California refugees experiences has chilled me out a bit.

I'm just nervous about relocating... I think it could be anywhere honestly. I'm just about to start a new chapter in my life; its a huge change and I'm of course over thinking it worrying that I'm about to make a mistake.

The Cleveland/Akron areas sound like a good fit, and I'm going to focus my search in Lakewood, Cleveland Heights, Rocky, and some of the western Akron suburbs. My husband has also found a couple leads in the Pittsburgh, PA area, although I've heard they endure a harsher winter in that area?

Thanks again!!

Cass
Actually this is not true. The east side of Cleveland (snowbelt) gets more snow than Pittsburgh.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:20 PM

23,896 posts, read 32,199,228 times
The photos are beautiful JR_C! Thanks for posting.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:39 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,160,483 times
You know, Ohio has a unique chance to turn itself around economically if they embrace the natural gas/oil industry and go big time. To me, as a person that left decades ago, (Akron Oh), I would move back if I felt Ohio was dumping it's high tax, Democratic, Union past for a more robust, go for broke Hong Kong style pure capitalist state. Yes, pure capitalist. Low taxes, low regulations, near zero unions (public and private).

Ohio has some great colleges, school systems, tons of very affordable housing, beautiful countryside etc...but I fear, the old Democratic Party and union types will rear up again and wham...forget natural gas/oil and just continue with the same old ways....

You might get a jump on a "new Ohio", or you might be moving back to a state that will return to it's old ways and that would be too bad.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:00 AM

2,903 posts, read 1,963,338 times
I moved back to Ohio (Toledo) in 2007 due to aging parents. Any other reason I would have given Columbus a serious look first.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:10 PM

6,408 posts, read 7,616,743 times
I was raised in NE Ohio (Portage Lakes, Akron, Cleveland and Euclid) so I shoveled a little snow in my youth. My last winter, we would take mid-night walks along frozen Lake Erie just because of the clear skies and loving the feeling of the really crisp air on my cheeks and ears. Anyway, I sense the OP might be feeling a little more than uncertainty about the move, so let me tell you that in my experience, the first year is always the hardest....finding a new bank, doctor, hairdresser, car repair, learning new laws...all that sort of stuff. By the second year, things are better and you can spend more time on fun stuff. I do miss Ohio and hope to maybe return before too much longer. Midwest people are the best in the world!

Old 07-22-2013, 03:31 AM

41 posts, read 73,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasitacass View Post
Hi!

Here in LA a 2-3 bedroom house in a decent area rents for $2200 + depending on the quality of the house and forget getting into anything other than an apartment for less than $1600 in a decent area.

Yep, the rents in Cleveland are very affordable. For $1600 you can get a very nice house in a good suburb. For less than $1000 you can get a smaller home in a safe neighborhood with good schools.

Its not just rent that's cheap either. When our friends come from NYC or Chicago to visit, they are consistently shocked that our restaurants and bars can be so high quality, yet have such relatively low prices.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:07 AM

6,408 posts, read 7,616,743 times
The prices are going up, no surprise there, so don't wait too long...

Home sales keep climbing in Northeast Ohio and across the state, 6 months into 2013 | cleveland.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland