Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 01:24 PM

6 posts, read 39,589 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a doc from India, doing my residency at the Clinic, my wife is also a resident there and we don't have any kids yet. We were thinking of buying a house (preferably a new one) somewhere within a 20-25 min drive to the Clinic. There is a new community of single family homes being developed by Ryan Homes in Richmond Heights which is around 180 K and within our budget, but I have no idea and am not getting much in the forums abt what kind of place Richmond heights is , is it safe? Would a new house have a good resale value aftr 4 yrs here, as we might move out of cleveland in 4-5 yrs. I looked at Shaker n Cleveland heights, but houses are pretty old and we want something maintainance free fr atleast 4 yrs till we complete our residency.

Please could someone shed some light on whether we should consider buying a new house in richmond heights, It would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 01:58 PM

21 posts, read 115,013 times
Default Richmond Heights

Do not consider Richmond Heights. I grew up there and it has gone down the tubes. There has been more crime and the schools are not good at all. If you'd like to be within 20 minutes of the clinic, I'd recommend looking Southwest of downtown. Some good, safe cities are Strongsville or Brunswick or you could look west in Avon Lake or Westlake area. I'm not sure how close those are to the clinic, but I would not recommend looking in Richmond Heights. Hope this helps!

Old 11-14-2007, 08:32 PM

Thanks a lot. Am looking at Willoughby, solon, orange now, there are many new houses in willoughby, so will drive frm clinic to willoughby and see how much time it takes!

Old 11-15-2007, 06:36 AM

21 posts, read 115,013 times
Mentor is a nicer area than Willoughby. It is one exit past Willoughby. However, both are quite a drive to downtown...I'd say 45 minutes to an hour in traffic. Both areas also get a lot of snow when we have a decent amount, making it difficult to get anywhere in the winter. Orange is very nice, as are Pepper Pike and Beachwood. I don't know much about Solon but I hear the area is nice. Good luck!

Old 11-16-2007, 11:56 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
I have to reluctantly agree with the earlier post re: Richmond Heights. I lived there for over 5 yrs (2000 - 2005), and while we had a great house in a great neighborhood (Richwood subdivision), we actually lost money when we sold it. Schools are mediocre at best, but the area still remains safe. The biggest pluses to RH would be newer housing (not commonly available in the suburbs interior to I-271), and proximity to great shopping and restaurants in Lyndhurst, S. Euclid, Cle. Hts.

Resale values are better in Beachwood...also consider a cluster home in Lyndhurst or Mayfield Hts.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:32 PM

Thanks. I am looking at whatever newer construction I am finding within 25 min of cleveland clinic and would appreciate if anyone could share if they had any particular community or cluster homes in mind.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:43 PM

3 posts, read 19,693 times
Mentor isn't bad, if a little overdeveloped for my taste. Willoughby and Kirtland are really pretty decent areas. Willoughby has maintained a prosperous downtown area with nightlife and has a cohesive sense of community with well thought of schools. There is a good selection of homes in the community in various price ranges and, most importantly, it is a town with a good local reputation that people want to live in and is maintaining its property values while being only 30 minutes from downtown Cleveland unless it's 8am or snowing heavily. Kirtland is a little further away and gets a little more snow, but is secluded and quite pretty. This area gets more snow than the westside, but I'm from Chardon and I don't think it gets that bad in Mentor or Willoughby at all. They get blasted from time to time, but don't often get the 15-20 inched overnight that we get just inland 15 miles.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:39 PM

332 posts, read 2,251,688 times
Richmond Heights isn't bad. Its safe and much closer to the Cleveland Clinic than Willoughby, or Mentor and you won't get as much Lake effect snow. You are also closer to Beachwood Mall, Legacy Village and Eton for shopping. Crime is worse at The Richmond Park Apartments apartment complex and The Loganberry aprtment complexes, but most if not all of the neighborhoods of single family residential are safe. Plus that new neighborhood is so out of the way I doubt you will have a lot of trouble.

I know a few Indians that stay in the Richmond Bluffs subdivision. The area is home to professionals, pro athletes, media personalities and over all is a middle to slightly upper middle class area. The only downside I think would be The Airport at times and Traffic on Richmond Road. Hope this helps.

Check the are out. Also see if you can get a copy of the News Herald Community newspaper. It covers several of the 'burbs in the area, but has a pretty good crime blotter on the incidences that occur in the cities it covers.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 10,668 times
Default Richmond Heights

I recommend talking with a REALTOR. In the meantime, here are some links to Willoughby and Richmond Heights data. You can also use the links to research other areas.

ReloDigest - HomeGain (broken link)

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

http://www.ode.state.oh.us/reportcar...IST/045104.PDF

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

http://www.ode.state.oh.us/reportcar...IST/046599.PDF

SAR

Last edited by Yac; 09-12-2018 at 06:58 AM..

Old 11-24-2007, 03:26 PM

56 posts, read 183,735 times
Rich hts is a good location...better weather than Wlby-not for families-school district is horrible. i was a substitue tchr at the middle school. GREAT kids, nice homes; but someone just doesnt care and let the schools run down. I could have a music class of 100 kids at one time-just a holding pen. Consider for resale purposes,of course,bc of this situation-but a deal CAN be found...just buy carefully!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: