Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 09:02 PM

42 posts, read 179,556 times

Advertisements

I think Shaker Heights would be a good fit given what you're looking for in a neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 04:49 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,586,399 times
Understand the city services in Cleveland (tremont) stink. The police are lazy. The schools are bad. City hall employees were just standing around etc etc. By this I mean specifically THE CITY of Cleveland.

Shaker Heights is a bit far drive to work but very nice with some sections that border on spectacular. University heights is also a bit far but likely has the vibe you are looking for.

Alot of the better areas good commute distance from AG are bland but safe suburbia to the south and west.

Someone can confirm it still is going on but the City of Shaker Heights relocation office (whatever they call it) at least used to steer residents to specific areas. Whites to black areas and blacks to white areas. As long as you are aware of the manipulation you can make your own decision.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,561 times
We live in North Royalton, Ohio which is about 20 - 25 minutes from American Greetings. North Royalton was an old farming community which has grown some. It's close to I-71 and close to Southpark mall but still retains a country type charm of its own.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:02 PM

80 posts, read 344,686 times
Default Shaker Heights no longer doing integrative rental policies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post

Someone can confirm it still is going on but the City of Shaker Heights relocation office (whatever they call it) at least used to steer residents to specific areas. Whites to black areas and blacks to white areas. As long as you are aware of the manipulation you can make your own decision.
The former Dept of Integrative Housing which used to help with rentals did used to steer whites into black neighborhoods (ie.e the two-family homes in the Lomond neighborhood) to keep a racial balance but it no longer does so (Mayor Judith Rawson nixed the Integrative Housing dept eight years ago). The Communications and Outreach Dept took over and lists rentals on their website (you view the properties and contact landlords yourself).

Old 12-09-2007, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,929 times
I am moving to Cleveland. I will work downtown. I would like to move into an affordable apartment and take public transportation to work. I have no children, so schools are not a concern, personal safety is a concern. I am moving from an interanational tropical area and needs suggestions for used car buying.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:59 AM

3 posts, read 8,340 times
Default We made it!

Well, it's a year later and we are here in Cleveland. Work is going great at AG and we bought our first home 4 months ago in Fairview Park. We love this area. We started off with a 6 month lease in a Bay Village rental home. It was recommended to us by a previous tenant who also worked at AG. It seems very easy to get around and see the things we want on the East and West side. Cleveland has turned out to be better then we anticipated. Thanks for everyones help and input.

Sincerely,
Geegoo

Old 10-16-2008, 07:28 AM

7 posts, read 19,369 times
Hi,
I just started with American Greetings as well, but I am relocating from Cleveland to West Virginia. Lakewood is a great area and very close to work. Shaker Heights is a little farther and more expensive but for family, its great as well. i actuall grew up in Shaker and still have family there so if you can afford it, go for it. Basically you were right, stick to the "Heights" and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland