Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 08:32 AM

786 posts, read 3,923,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKoots16 View Post
I moved to Cleveland from NYC last year. My husband and I live in Rocky River and like it. However, I am so bored here. I have already been to all of the museums, all the plays I could get tickets to, many of the restaurants and clubs and I am always asking "what's next". Moving from such a vibrant city to a sleepier city like Cleveland has been a great shock. People I met before my move here told me that Cleveland was not a mid-western city and it was progressive. However, it is very midwestern. I find myself not included unless I belong to a Church, am really into sports or have been friends with someone here for years. Very frustrating and disappointing.

I am open to any suggestions and advice.
That's funny that you say most people belong to a church, of the cities I've lived in I think Cleveland had the least amount of regular church goers. We'd be off to church and see our neighbors jogging by, etc. You could always try a church/synagogue. Bay Presbyterian is a great church and it's right on Lake Rd in the Eastern part of Bay. If you have young kids, I suggest joining Rocky River's Early Childhood PTA - and don't just join become involved. It is a great way to make friends. If you are more into the city scene maybe join an executive club - we also belonged to one - has a restuarant and workout facilities and they often host executive happy hours and other fun events (cooking classes, etc) at various nice spots around the city and it's another great way to make friends with people you have a lot in common with. I believe it was just called "The Club". We lived in Bay Village for 3 years, and I think it takes about 2 years to really feel at home, but once you do, you will probably never want to leave. Good luck & wish we still lived there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 09:10 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKoots16 View Post
I moved to Cleveland from NYC last year. My husband and I live in Rocky River and like it. However, I am so bored here. I have already been to all of the museums, all the plays I could get tickets to, many of the restaurants and clubs and I am always asking "what's next". Moving from such a vibrant city to a sleepier city like Cleveland has been a great shock. People I met before my move here told me that Cleveland was not a mid-western city and it was progressive. However, it is very midwestern. I find myself not included unless I belong to a Church, am really into sports or have been friends with someone here for years. Very frustrating and disappointing.

I am open to any suggestions and advice.
Sorry to hear that you're so bored, but I totally understand. Cleveland's not that kind of town. The museums, orchestra, and theater district are great but how often can you attend those things? Cleveland is not as vibrant in terms of "ground level" activity. By this I mean, Art openings, live music, festivals, cultural happenings, and general street activity. I don't mean to suggest Cleveland does not have these things - it certainly does, but it's scattered about town and you really need to seek those things out if you want them. You won't just stumble into something as you're walking down the street. Cleveland has some great virtues but vibrancy is not really one of them. Many people there wouldn't see that as a problem. We did. I'm not sure where your interests lie, but I could probably give you some ideas on things to do and assimilation As far as progressive goes, well again, things are a bit scattered. You have to find the "pockets' that resonate for you. For us it was Lakewood, Ohio City, and Tremont. We barely ever went into downtown Cleveland except for special event type stuff.

We just left Cleveland in September for Austin. We were born and raised in Cleveland so I suppose we had a higher tolerance for the place, not to mention a large network of family and friends. In a place like Cleveland, that can make a world of difference. While we miss our network, there's so much vibrancy here, that we don't feel isolated and bored even though we don't know too many people yet. But folks are very active here, so you just start meeting people by default. In Cleveland, especially this time of year, people sort of hole up in their houses and aren't as interactive.

Anyway, as far as churches go, I personally don't attend but I've heard very good things about the Westshore Unitarian Church on Hilliard(it should be very close to you). Might be a good place to meet people.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:20 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,571 times
I have lots of family in the Cleveland area and I like Cleveland alot! There is lots of culture, great people, wonderful parks and tons of other stuff going on. Sure beats those dusty toilets in the Southwest USA. (namely Phoenix, LA and Las Vegas!)

Old 12-12-2007, 06:32 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,768,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
I have lots of family in the Cleveland area and I like Cleveland alot! There is lots of culture, great people, wonderful parks and tons of other stuff going on. Sure beats those dusty toilets in the Southwest USA. (namely Phoenix, LA and Las Vegas!)
Not to mention parts of New Mexico. Some don't realize it's been a state since 1912, and it's state quarter is coming out in 2008 to remind us.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:52 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
The only city I know in New Mexico is Roswell and thats not for good reasons lol. I had no idea its been a state for that long.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:14 PM

8 posts, read 24,558 times
great posts here about cleveland. I have lived here all 44 years. in almost every west side city. I am looking south, but only for the weather because of medical reasons. there winters are too much. yes the lack of sunshine does affect me too. I do know I will miss all the things i have taken for granted. easy traffic, the arts, pro sports, you all have listed them already....add the zoo and the rainforest. 3-4 venues to see big time musical concerts.

as far as the post about cleveland being in the top 5 soon....I may not go that far, but i see that it is the cheapest property in america. what do smart business ppl do? buy low and sell high...I see it coming also

this city has so much going for it. beautiful summers too, just too short.
Most every other city I have been to except chicago, ny, and san diego seemed second rate compared to cleveland.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:00 AM

Cleveland weather is really only bad for 3-4 months of the year. I know what you are talking about with the winters being a little harsh, but pretty much every area North of Cleveland has worse weather. For example, Minneapolis/ St. Paul is on average 20 degrees colder in the winter than Cleveland is, also it is normal for Minneapolis to have below zero temperatures highs for weeks at a time. Its rare for Cleveland to have more than 1-2 below zero days for the whole year. I dont mind the winters that much but in the future I would like to rent a house in the south that I can go to from January-March and then come back in April.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:14 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
I dont mind the winters that much but in the future I would like to rent a house in the south that I can go to from January-March and then come back in April.
Feb & March are the worst months in this area. Other than that, not too bad. It's a mixed bag, that is for sure.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Feb & March are the worst months in this area. Other than that, not too bad. It's a mixed bag, that is for sure.
I actually think that we have pretty nice weather for most of the year. Its just January, February and March that are bad, and even some periods of those months arent bad (like a year or 2 ago when we had highs in the 50s and 60s for a while in January). Those 3 months just seem like they last longer. The weather is really nice from April through November, December is unpredictable, sometimes we dont have any snow and sometimes we do.

Our summers are pretty nice other than the humidity, mosquitoes and the occasional heat waves. Around here from June-September its mostly in the mid 80s with about 15 90+ days. It can also be in the 80s and 90s sometimes in May and October but its not all the time.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:11 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
dont forget the occasional blizzard in late april/may.... ugh! but i agree other months are ok, not great, but ok.. lots of rain and cloudiness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland