Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 02:21 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Can I ask why?
Middleburg Heights wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my list of Cleveland neighborhoods and suburbs to not move to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 06:46 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,834,936 times
CH-UH schools are decidedly worse than Shaker Heights schools, IMO. Full disclosure: my wife and I (and 4yo and 8mo) just moved out of CH this past summer.

That said, it's going to be tough to find something in your budget in a good school district - at least, something that you'll be able to stay in for the time your kids are in school. You'll probably have to get into something and then upgrade at some point when you can better afford it.

FWIW, Mentor to the airport is crazy so I'd rule that out. South Euclid schools are only marginally better than CH/UH.

Really, all you can do is get with a realtor and see what they can find you in the Beachwood, Orange, Mayfield, or Solon school districts in your price range and with the amenities you want. TBH, there's definitely a trade-off for preferred house type and school district. My wife and I love the CH/SH 1920's houses, but they don't really exist outside of those two cities (on the east side). FWIW, I think your best bet is going to end up being Mayfield or deciding to rent until your house budget is bigger.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:36 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times
If your child is supported at home and has decent motivation, he/she can still get a fine education in the CH-UH schools. The taxes are still going to be an issue, but one thing to consider is that you'll get more house for less money (also meaning less actual tax dollars paid) than you might get in some outer-ring suburbs.

Perhaps one day these arbitrary lines that were drawn on the map a century ago will be erased and the gorgeous housing stock found in the Heights area (including Shaker) won't come with an asterisk.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Perhaps one day these arbitrary lines that were drawn on the map a century ago will be erased and the gorgeous housing stock found in the Heights area (including Shaker) won't come with an asterisk.
Such a detriment to the region's development IMO.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:52 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,121,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
Such a detriment to the region's development IMO.
Shaker Heights was a fully planned community from its beginning. The lines drawn separating it from other suburbs are hardly arbitrary. If there were ever to be any kind of merging of suburbs, Shaker still ought to exist as its own entity. It is a unique, historical, and intentional community that should not have its identity taken away.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:23 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times
Quote:
Shaker Heights was a fully planned community from its beginning. The lines drawn separating it from other suburbs are hardly arbitrary. If there were ever to be any kind of merging of suburbs, Shaker still ought to exist as its own entity. It is a unique, historical, and intentional community that should not have its identity taken away.
Most of Shaker Heights was indeed planned out. But that's not to say that much its borders aren't arbitrary. There's a northwestern piece of SH that juts out from the rest of the city for no apparent reason, but does not include Shaker Square. Was that planned? How about the eastern end of the city, whereby one can be driving north along Green Road starting in Beachwood, then be traveling through Shaker Heights, then once again be back in Beachwood. Does that make any sense? Finally, there's that northern side of a stretch Fairmount Road east from Taylor Road which when bordering University Heights IS considered part of Shaker Heights but when bordering Cleveland Heights IS NOT considered part of Shaker Heights.

All of these quirks are, in my opinion, ridiculous and unnecessary. While I really like Shaker Heights and also would like to see it retain its identity, I see no reason why SH couldn't be the centerpiece of one of many potential eastern suburban mergers. One idea that seems to make sense would be to merge Shaker Heights with neighboring University Heights and Beachwood and perhaps even Highland Hills. Throw Shaker Square into that mix and you have a strong, diverse city...and that eliminates all of my above border quirks. Unfortunately there are a dozen reasons why that is unlikely to ever happen.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Not sure how you think Cleveland or any other larger city around here developed. Many of the neighborhoods were developed as separate towns and were merged through annexation as Cleveland grew. West Park isn't so named because Cleveland thought it would be a cute name for a neighborhood. And yes, I know what you're saying, Shaker was very deliberately laid out for economic isolation.

I think his point in saying they are arbitrary is they really serve no purpose anymore other than to make it extremely inconvenient to do anything on a regional level, so from a functional standpoint, they are arbitrary. Even at the time they were put into place most boundaries served no other purpose than to allocate resources to a certain group rather than another, there was no greater plan other than that. It puts us at an extreme disadvantage over other (and typically newer) cities who can make decisions for an entire county area at once and put the force of all of their resources into whatever they settle on. Imagine trying to get a consensus from all of Cuyahoga County's municipalities for anything... good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: