Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 05:04 PM

95 posts, read 162,047 times

Advertisements

Are there any major differences between Parma and Parma Heights (quality of life, safety, affordability, etc.)?
How would you compare the two cities? Thank you for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 12:30 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,498 times
I don't really think there are any major differences, in fact when I'm in the area I barely notice leaving one city for the other.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:51 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Agreed. I think the only difference is elevation.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:05 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,173,361 times
Yep, they even have the same school system. The biggest difference is the that PH does not share a border with Cleveland (not that this is to be perceived as a bad thing).

Old 12-27-2013, 11:11 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,026,378 times
They're the exact same city. The best and worst sections of the two are both in Parma, but this is relative - none of it is really poor, or really exclusive.

There are too many municipalities in greater Cleveland. Merging Parma and Parma Heights (and Seven Hills, Brooklyn Heights?) is a rare instance of a merger that would benefit all of them equally.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
They're the exact same city. The best and worst sections of the two are both in Parma, but this is relative - none of it is really poor, or really exclusive.

There are too many municipalities in greater Cleveland. Merging Parma and Parma Heights (and Seven Hills, Brooklyn Heights?) is a rare instance of a merger that would benefit all of them equally.
I doubt the residents of Seven Hills would go for that...they've actually tried over the years to get out of the Parma City School District.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:27 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,173,361 times
Seven Hills never "tried" to get out of the Parma Schools. There was some sabre rattling by their former idiotic mayor, but little else. The most real noise about the schools that you heard was the demand for Parma to keep Normandy High School open (which they consequently did). The Parma schools are actually pretty good, given their circumstances. Their graduation rate is usually well over 90%. I don't know why they get such a bad rap. Given the income and sheer size disparity, it is quite unfair to try and equate them to the upper-echelon in the county.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Seven Hills never "tried" to get out of the Parma Schools. There was some sabre rattling by their former idiotic mayor, but little else. The most real noise about the schools that you heard was the demand for Parma to keep Normandy High School open (which they consequently did). The Parma schools are actually pretty good, given their circumstances. Their graduation rate is usually well over 90%. I don't know why they get such a bad rap. Given the income and sheer size disparity, it is quite unfair to try and equate them to the upper-echelon in the county.
Uh, no, I'm fairly certain that they put in an application to the state to separate and they were denied. This was before that crazy mayor took office.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:56 AM

1 posts, read 6,020 times
I know I am about 6 months late on this, but there is a major difference between the two.

I have been living in Parma Heights for the last three years and it seems to me that all they want to do is nickle and dime you on everything.

Parma Heights has a higher city tax. The first month I moved in I met the mayor on a block party. There was no "Welcome to our City", he literally told me I would be getting a packet in the mail so they could collect taxes. They also want you to pay these estimated taxes throughout the year and if you don't then they will charge you a "late fee". The way I understand it is all taxes are due by April 15th of the next year.

I have never lived in a city like this before. I have lived in 4 different states in metro areas(Tallahassee, FL. Indianapolis, IN. Lexington, KY, and now Cleveland, OH.) and have never heard of someone not being able to park overnight on their road that is just a side road in front of their house. There is literally no parking on my street that is not a major road between the hours of 3am to 6am. Why only these three hours? I mean seriously 3 hours only of no parking in the dead of the night? If there is a logical explanation I will accept it, and maybe this is just a rant in the paragraph but it is still ridiculous.

My suggestion to anyone is that they find a place to live just outside of Parma Heights. That way you get all the benefits of Parma Heights but none of the taxes they have. I don't even have a clue as to why they need the extra tax except for the explanation my neighbor gave me which was to keep some people out.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:49 AM

185 posts, read 247,837 times
^Move to Cleveland proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland