Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2014, 09:08 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali1976 View Post
I was pretty clear in what I talked about. Johns Hopkins, CMU, and Wash U are all a tier(s) above CWRU. I agree CWRU is on par with northeastern. Probably not BU, def not NYU or U of M. I just checked the acceptance rate. That's the best signal of student quality.

Are you an alum?
You said it's comparable to Wayne State University.

Bro, I'm using the rankings. Look at them. Case is ranked higher than BU. Seriously, go look. NYU and Michigan are slightly ahead. They are comparable in rankings.

Again, you're allowed to look things up! http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...rsities/page+2

One spot behind Georgia Tech.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:10 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,536,232 times
Quote:
I was pretty clear in what I talked about. Johns Hopkins, CMU, and Wash U are all a tier(s) above CWRU. I agree CWRU is on par with northeastern. Probably not BU, def not NYU or U of M. I just checked the acceptance rate. That's the best signal of student quality.

Are you an alum?
In defense of CWRU, I did take some classes there and was very satisfied with the overall experience. It may not be the highest ranked, but for Cleveland it's pretty damn good.

I think I just earned another credibility point.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:11 PM

79 posts, read 144,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
You said it's comparable to Wayne State University.

Bro, I'm using the rankings. Look at them. Case is ranked higher than BU. Seriously, go look. NYU and Michigan are slightly ahead. They are comparable in rankings.

Again, you're allowed to look things up! National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges

One spot behind Georgia Tech.
I know you're pushing hard on this one because perhaps it's personal. But no.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I know you're pushing hard on this one because perhaps it's personal. But no.
Can you read?

This is a frighteningly serious question.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
In defense of CWRU, I did take some classes there and was very satisfied with the overall experience. It may not be the highest ranked, but for Cleveland it's pretty damn good.
I agree it's probably the best school in the Cleveland area. I was just stating that those aforementioned cities have more highly ranked and reputable universities, which bring positive national attention to the cities to help counter (slightly) their negative reputations. Cleveland doesn't have as much of that benefit because CWRU isn't as reputable (still a great school though).

Old 01-09-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I agree it's probably the best school in the Cleveland area. I was just stating that those aforementioned cities have more highly ranked and reputable universities, which bring positive national attention to the cities to help counter (slightly) their negative reputations. Cleveland doesn't have as much of that benefit because CWRU isn't as reputable (still a great school though).
Just because you don't know what you're talking about, doesn't mean other people don't know what they're talking about. Case has a pretty good reputation nationally for science and engineering. Not like MIT, but nobody scoffs at a CWRU degree.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Again, use limited, and unreliable information to make sweeping judgments that are ultimately incorrect. Case, like many other top schools is self selective. Some people are just not smart enough/nerdy enough to even want to apply. The college I went to was one of the top 10 liberal arts colleges in the US. Other top schools had acceptance rates of 10% or lower, my school had an acceptance rate of 30%, but was still ranked above some of those with 10%, because it was self-selective.
So Princeton attracts lots of striving morons, while CWRU self selects only the local geniuses?

Old 01-09-2014, 09:18 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,127,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
It's it that the progress is meaningless, I just accept the signs of decline for what they are. Take the financial issues for example. What do you think the financial status of East Cleveland will be in say 2020?

East Cleveland
We weren't talking about East Cleveland, which they're talking about incorporating into Cleveland, and may not even exist in 20 years. I live in Cleveland, work in every neighborhood in Cleveland, and am somewhere in the city, often the worst neighborhoods, literally every day. I have a front row seat to the deterioration of many neighborhoods, and there are quite a few, possibly 50% of the city, that are dismally decayed and crime-ridden. But that doesn't mean that all of Cleveland is this way, or that there aren't signs of revival. Cleveland has been on the decline for a long time now, and it may still be declining, but I believe that its decline is decelerating. Progress in Downtown, and near west side neighborhoods is promising for the whole city. With a larger tax base, and educated professionals, Cleveland proper is more attractive to businesses, and that in turn makes it more attractive to a growing number of individuals, and so we have a positive reinforcement loop as the city starts to snowball upward instead of downward. Our mayor, who is from Central, has been committed to helping the poorest neighborhoods become safer. Under his leadership, the most blighted decayed buildings have been knocked down, streets and infrastructure in poor neighborhoods have improved, and new businesses have been built in these neighborhoods for the first time in decades. Kinsman and Union has seen a Key Bank, Rally's, Dollar General, and Marathon station open just in the past year. That is a sign of progress, even if the neighborhood still has huge problems. It gives the decent people who live there a reason to stick around.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Just because you don't know what you're talking about, doesn't mean other people don't know what they're talking about. Case has a pretty good reputation nationally for science and engineering. Not like MIT, but nobody scoffs at a CWRU degree.
Did I say anyone scoffs at a CWRU education? I'm speaking solely about national reputation. If you'd like to press on this point and insist something that's not reality, then perhaps you should take some time for self reflection

Old 01-09-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Did I say anyone scoffs at a CWRU education? I'm speaking solely about national reputation. If you'd like to press on this point and insist something that's not reality, then perhaps you should take some time for self reflection
I guess I don't know how #37 on US News and World Report is lacking national reputation. Those lists create the national reputation. (US stands for "United States", aka our nation, hence "national")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland