Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 02:24 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,374,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
I agree it sounds a bit high even with the city sitting centrally very near the border to SC.. I think its advantage has more to do with a slightly larger geography. It sits in one of the larger trading areas (larger than Atlanta's).
we know your 7 mil is wrong and pulled out of thin air. now your blowing smoke about a larger geography/trading area? I call bull. lets see some facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 02:25 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,276,419 times
Any place can be chosen to be a hub if that's what an airline prefers. Hubs are just places where people pass through getting from one place to the next. Due to infrastructure airlines seem to chose places that tend to already have a lot of traffic and are located in larger markets, but neither of these factors are requirements for any type of hub to exist.

The Charlotte Defender may rest easy knowing that the hub status of his favorite city is safe for now, but there's nothing inherently so superior about CLT's position or the city of Charlotte that will protect it in the long-term, particularly as airline consolidation continues unabated.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:31 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,085 times
Quote:
we know your 7 mil is wrong and pulled out of thin air. now your blowing smoke about a larger geography/trading area? I call bull. lets see some facts.
What is wrong with you??

Look up within a 100 miles of Charlotte. Jesus. I'm just having a conversation and refer to things I've read in the past - what is wrong with you?

Quote:
The Charlotte Defender may rest easy knowing that the hub status of his favorite city is safe for now, but there's nothing inherently so superior about CLT's position or the city of Charlotte that will protect it in the long-term, particularly as airline consolidation continues unabated.
So I must ask, what is wrong with you as well. I'm just discussing items brought up. Why does my noting reasons for Charlotte's hub make me a "defender?"

I can see why this thread was almost closed. People can't have rational, mature discussion.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:55 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,276,419 times
Quote:

So I must ask, what is wrong with you as well. I'm just discussing items brought up. Why does my noting reasons for Charlotte's hub make me a "defender?"

I can see why this thread was almost closed. People can't have rational, mature discussion.
You're not the Charlotte Defender, I apologize for the confusion. I think that those who post here regularly enough know to whom I was referring.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:05 PM

20 posts, read 28,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
The Charlotte Metropolitan Statistical Area doesn't have 7 million, but there is about 7 million people in a 100 miles radius.

Charlotte-Gastonia-Salisburg, NC-SC CSA 2.5 million
Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point, NC CSA 1.6 million (75 miles from Charlotte-Douglas)
Hickory-Lenoir-Morganstown, NC MSA 365K (60 miles from Charlotte-Douglas)
Greenville-Spartanburg, SC CSA 1.4 million (90 miles from Charlotte-Douglas vs. 155 miles to Atlanta Int.)
Columbia-Newbury, SC CSA 900K (90 miles to Charlotte-Douglas vs. 225 to Atlanta Int.)

That is 8.165 million people within 100 miles of Charlotte-Douglas. Air service is limited at the airports in the smaller MSAs near Charlotte due to the large hub offering non-stop service (better to drive an extra 45 minutes for a non-stop than have a two hour connection).
This partially explains why Charlotte has more local passengers than Cleveland, despite being the smaller city.

Cleveland will be fine. Not having a big hub definetely hurts for business, but there are plenty of cities that do just fine and are not large hubs: Austin, TX, Portland, OR, Orlando, FL, Tampa, FL, etc... all doing fine without being a huge hub.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:21 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,377 times
Amusing this has gone from a discussion about Cleveland's dehubbing to the merits of many hubs in the Eastern US.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:40 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,768,214 times
Let's all move on. I never agree to depend on one industry or one company and no one airline should ever dominate an airport. It's best if Hopkins Int'l takes an opportunity to diversify the airlines that serve it. Hopefully other airlines fill in the space vacated by United. Increased competition helps an economy, not a monopoly.

Funny that Boston is listed in the list of airline hubs and yet I never consider The Hub as really an airline hub at all. I go to Logan Intl and find a multitude of different airlines all competing each other. All right I believe that Delta has a huge stake but I couldn't care as long as their are other airlines flying to the same destinations.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:23 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,175,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam1919 View Post
That is 8.165 million people within 100 miles of Charlotte-Douglas. Air service is limited at the airports in the smaller MSAs near Charlotte due to the large hub offering non-stop service (better to drive an extra 45 minutes for a non-stop than have a two hour connection).
This partially explains why Charlotte has more local passengers than Cleveland, despite being the smaller city.
So, by this logic, a Cleveland hub could include Erie, Pittsburgh, Toledo, Columbus, Mansfield, etc. and just assume that they would rather drive an extra hour or so regardless of the fact that each smaller metro has their own airport. Sorry, but that's not quite how it works. If it did, CLE could claim 10+ million people.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Let's all move on. I never agree to depend on one industry or one company and no one airline should ever dominate an airport. It's best if Hopkins Int'l takes an opportunity to diversify the airlines that serve it. Hopefully other airlines fill in the space vacated by United. Increased competition helps an economy, not a monopoly.
I agree, but invalid stats simply need to be refuted. CLT is a location that just became a whole lot less strategic with the AA/USAir merger. Maybe they will win out over DC and Miami. Then again, maybe not. The bottom line is that they will consolidate.

Quote:
Funny that Boston is listed in the list of airline hubs and yet I never consider The Hub as really an airline hub at all. I go to Logan Intl and find a multitude of different airlines all competing each other. All right I believe that Delta has a huge stake but I couldn't care as long as their are other airlines flying to the same destinations.
Boston-Logan isn't technically a hub, but it is a focus city for a few major airlines. I'm pretty sure that Jet Blue is the largest actual passenger carrier there.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
7 million isn't significant and is less significant to 4.5 million because of density?
The point is that the density is much higher and 100 mi. is a long distance to drive when you have an airport in your back yard.

100 mile radius = 31,416 sq. mi.

The state of Ohio has 44,825 sq. mi., 11+ million people, and is served by at least 6 major commercial airports. Assuming 7 million is also assuming that almost everyone who flies and lives in Raleigh-Durhum, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Fayetteville, Greenville, Columbia, etc. drives to Charlotte to board an airplane. Well, they simply don't unless there is some astronomical savings (which there isn't). The same way that most people from Columbus, Toledo, or Erie don't drive to Cleveland to fly.

Quote:
Density doesn't matter for such a difference. And yes if go South of Charlotte, you get closer to Atlanta, but Charlotte isn't a Delta hub, so that's irrelevant.
So what? Does that automatically disqualify ATL as a viable aternative airport to drive to (as if more than 5% even would anyway)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland