Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 04:48 PM

254 posts, read 307,596 times

Advertisements

And the Public Works director admits "The pothole situation as it is now is pretty, pretty bad."

Getting answers, fixes, and taking action about potholes in the city of Cleveland - Story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 07:33 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
19 did a story on 117 last night. They confirmed what I thought, that CLE is responsible for NB and Lakewood for SB. And in their (ridiculous) test the Lakewood side was worse.
They drove both sides with a full cup of coffee in a cupholder to see which side caused more spillage. Really 19? That's some ace journalism there...

Old 02-25-2014, 11:14 AM

246 posts, read 476,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
19 did a story on 117 last night. They confirmed what I thought, that CLE is responsible for NB and Lakewood for SB. And in their (ridiculous) test the Lakewood side was worse.
They drove both sides with a full cup of coffee in a cupholder to see which side caused more spillage. Really 19? That's some ace journalism there...
I never get on 117th north of Detroit so I can't speak on that, but that test is a joke if that's true. Once you pass the jacked up Madison intersection, W. 117th doesn't really get bad until you are south of I-90...then it is ridiculous. Lakewood border stops at Berea Rd. if I'm not mistaken, so this test really wasn't assessing the most problematic areas further south.

A better test would have been Cleveland vs Linndale. Get some more negative press for that speed trap, joke of a town/village/hamlet/fiefdom.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:20 PM

I've seen a lot of stupid local news reports, but that may take the cake.

West 117th is/was a catastrophe from Madison all the way up to the lake. But the good news is that, according to this, it got some attention today:

City of Cleveland

Old 02-25-2014, 05:25 PM

And now, a conspiracy theory from Facebook (the veracity of which I don't vouch for):

"Both Rocky River Drive and West 117th Street are only about 12 years old. Both were completely rebuilt from the dirt up by the "Perk Company." Both streets starting having major pothole problems within 2 years of completion and are literally coming apart. Why hasn't this company been sued in court?

According to one of the local councilmen, the concrete core samples from these projects have disappeared. This sounds like a clear cut case for the FBI to investigate for fraud and kickbacks! Why isn't the city do its "due diligence" and having this investigated?"

Old 02-26-2014, 07:32 AM

Yea, that pissed me off. Rocky River was repaved completely. I think it was the very next summer, the water department tore up parts of it to fix or replace sewers. That couldn't have been done together? That's poor planning.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:35 AM

246 posts, read 476,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowes80 View Post
And now, a conspiracy theory from Facebook (the veracity of which I don't vouch for):

"Both Rocky River Drive and West 117th Street are only about 12 years old. Both were completely rebuilt from the dirt up by the "Perk Company." Both streets starting having major pothole problems within 2 years of completion and are literally coming apart. Why hasn't this company been sued in court?

According to one of the local councilmen, the concrete core samples from these projects have disappeared. This sounds like a clear cut case for the FBI to investigate for fraud and kickbacks! Why isn't the city do its "due diligence" and having this investigated?"
Taking a quick look into it, several of the owners (or possibly former owners) of Perk have already served time in prison for things like tax evasion and illegal campaign financing. Perk was also linked to the Nate Gray case (the guy caught bribing the former mayor or East Cleveland). Perk is a minority owned owned contractor and is suspected of securing bids almost solely on the fact that it's owner was friends with the mayor (Michael White). They also did work on the Browns stadium.

Here's a link to a story that mention Perk

Inside the Nate Gray Case | Article Archives | Editorial | Cleveland Magazine - Your guide to the best of Cleveland

A different Perk Company "owned" by Mark Perkins (the former owned by Charles Perkins) was also caught, by a Carl Monday investigation, cutting corners on the Euclid Corridor project by using banned chemicals to make the concrete dry faster. Perk was forced to extend the warranty against cracks and lost $200,000 in payments from RTA as a result. If they did it on the Euclid Corridor, there is a very good chance they cut corners on several other city projects they were gifted by the city in back room deals.

I'm sure there is some connection to the Perk Construction from the Gray case in 1990's and early 2000's and Perk Co. which was formed in 2004. I'm not sophisticated enough to connect the dots, but I'm sure there are some connections.

Gets Action: Carl Monday Investigation Resolves Euclid - 19 Action News|Cleveland, OH|News, Weather, Sports

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008...its_contr.html

Last edited by ECBeastor; 02-26-2014 at 07:48 AM..

Old 03-10-2014, 04:21 PM

Well, looks like we'll get to find out for ourselves about the Pothole Killer:

City Hires

Old 03-10-2014, 09:28 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,126,326 times
Nice! I'd like to think I, and the other posters who notified their council people, had a hand in getting this done.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:47 PM

Ummm. gee... I guess it wasn't all that expensive, now was it Cleveland_Collector? Certainly affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland