Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 05:44 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,104,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPH2 View Post
This image is pretty telling: http://i.imgur.com/OrJunPB.png

Cleveland is less cloudy than many of the world's "great" cities.
That map doesn't seem very precise. Also, I think a big difference is the fact that many of those European cities don't get as cold as it does here. It's the combination of clouds plus cold that I think bothers people. That being said, winter is just something Clevelanders have to deal with, and I think we should do our best to find creative ways to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 06:08 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,157,634 times
That map is exactly precise. Northern OH easily gets 200 days worth of solid sunshine. Those white puffy things don't get in the way.

Btw, there's nothing to "deal with." It's winter time. That's what the weather is like in over half of the country. In the summer, people whine when it's too hot and/or humid. In the spring, it's too green and/or rainy. In the autumn, it's too crisp and/or leafy. My life does not significantly change no matter what the weather is like outside. The vast majority of the time, I get up, go to work for 8-10 hours and go home. The only difference is the weight of my clothing and, maybe 10 days a year, my footwear. On the weekends, I do the same stuff in the winter as I do in the summer except I'm indoors a bit more. I find that the people who ***** about the weather the most are simply boring people with nothing better on their agenda than looking out the window and wringing their hands.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:28 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,104,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
That map is exactly precise. Northern OH easily gets 200 days worth of solid sunshine. Those white puffy things don't get in the way.

Btw, there's nothing to "deal with." It's winter time. That's what the weather is like in over half of the country. In the summer, people whine when it's too hot and/or humid. In the spring, it's too green and/or rainy. In the autumn, it's too crisp and/or leafy. My life does not significantly change no matter what the weather is like outside. The vast majority of the time, I get up, go to work for 8-10 hours and go home. The only difference is the weight of my clothing and, maybe 10 days a year, my footwear. On the weekends, I do the same stuff in the winter as I do in the summer except I'm indoors a bit more. I find that the people who ***** about the weather the most are simply boring people with nothing better on their agenda than looking out the window and wringing their hands.
That's for people who work indoors all day. For those of us who have to work outside, winter presents a challenge, especially in the construction industry. Also, when it's sunny and warm outside, I feel I have more energy and I'm in a better mood. This is not an unusual phenomenon. Most people who live in Northern climates experience it to some degree, and it is something to "deal with" just like people in the south have to deal with the uncomfortable summers. As long as it's not 70 degrees and sunny, it's something that people have to deal with. How far the weather strays from that ideal determines how much people have to develop both mental and physical coping mechanisms to deal with it.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:18 PM

220 posts, read 320,605 times
Clevelanders need to pick their poison. Do you want it to be colder or more snowy? Less clouds means more cold temperatures because clouds act as an insulator for the Earth. Clouds come from precipitation off the lake so perhaps its a good thing when the lake freezes over; however, it has to be really cold in order for that to happen. If you don't want it colder, like -30 with windchill like we had last month than you're going to like having that cloud cover to keep the temps above 0 degrees.

Sources: Environmental Science Major at CSU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland