Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 06:20 AM

338 posts, read 559,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
If you're into the Stepford Wives. It's nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.
You don't know what you are missing, Cleverfield
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 06:22 AM

11,056 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deskjockey View Post
You don't know what you are missing, Cleverfield
Chagrin Falls is one of the few non-urbanish places in Cuyahoga County I think would be cool to live in. Really seems like a nice place.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:24 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,933 times
Quote:
If you're into the Stepford Wives. It's nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.
And perhaps that's what the OP is looking for?

Old 03-29-2014, 09:52 AM

101 posts, read 204,185 times
Shaker Heights, Beachwood, Orange are excellent school districts.

University Heights and Cleveland Heights are walkable, plenty of character but their schools aren't the most top notch as others. But there are PLENTY of private schools but I know financially that can be a challenge.

Shaker Heights is walkable for parks, and has sidewalks but if you want to be close to shops & restaurants it depends what street, etc.

No problem with commuting. All very close to the area where your husband works.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:05 AM

13 posts, read 11,371 times
I'm getting on this kind of late but wanted to throw something into the mix. I completely understand your concerns about changing schools and wanting your kids to have a great education. We live in a small community but I recently changed jobs so I commute to Cleveland. Right now I am just not comfortable changing my kids to different schools. In our current school, it has been a great system for my older daughter. She could be more challenged, but overall it is great. My younger one is a different story though. In our local area our schools are in the top 3 consistently. But each child is different and a lot of it has to do with their home situation. My older child was reading at age 3-4, doing math sums at 2-3 and has always been years ahead of her peers. My younger child is her polar opposite. She struggles in everything. She has been in tutoring, intervention, and has been raised in the same home. I think to some degree to, each child has their own learning style as do their parents.

In that same line of thought, I know many parents (and most doctors and lawyers that I know) who have pulled their kids out of school and have started to homeschool them. Of the homeschool students that I know, they could write books about how to successfully homeschool. Their kids are very social, polite, and are years ahead of their peers. Two of my daughters friends are starting college full-time this fall, and they are 14 and 15 years old. Homeschool has allowed them to work where they need to, which the local schools could not accommodate because they were so far ahead.

Most everyone has their own opinions on education and living areas. Personally I am a small town person who works in Cleveland. From research I have gathered, Shaker Heights always comes up on top lists of places to live. Regardless of what you decide, good luck

Old 04-02-2014, 11:10 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,044 times
Quote:
COL is on higher scale but disagree with your assessment. I lived there and it is a fantastic area, I consider best town in OH.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:13 AM

11,056 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
COL is on higher scale but disagree with your assessment. I lived there and it is a fantastic area, I consider best town in OH.
Everyone I've met who lives there says the same thing.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:01 PM

372 posts, read 593,590 times
Homeschooling was a great option for us when we lived in TN. Lots of networks around here if you are interested.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:23 AM

171 posts, read 354,401 times
Update...We just had an accepted offer on a house in Shaker with the inspection tomorrow. Kids will be going to Onaway. I thought I would not like the schools in Shaker at all, but I visited 4 of them (met with 2 principals), and really liked Onaway and Fernway. I wasn't a huge fan of Boulevard, although it seems to be one of the favorite schools in Shaker. Overall, I really liked the teaching approach and the individual attention/grouping they are forced to do there with the wide disparity of ability levels.

Originally, we had an offer on a house in Rocky River, but it also had 3 other offers, and we didn't want to get in a bidding war and pay a premium on a house we are only going to be in for 2-3 years. The lake really appealed to us for the kids, and we focused in on that area of RR (which has basically zero inventory). In the end, we actually preferred the Shaker schools and the shorter commute for my husband, but I couldn't find the right house until we focused on the more neighborhood feel. We really loved the housing stock in Shaker as well. I think we will like the area as the people seem really nice and we picked a street with smaller yards so that we are in more of a neighborhood vs the big houses on acres of land. I'm not looking forward to the taxes, but you can get a lot for your money there compared to RR, so it all evens out in the end.

Chagrin Falls was too far out for us. I liked the housing in the village, but getting there felt too rural. After being in a first ring suburb, it just felt too isolating. If closer to Cleveland, we would have seriously considered it...

Just wanted to post an update as I'm sure you often don't hear where people end up...

Old 06-03-2014, 08:44 AM

107 posts, read 147,484 times
Hooray! So glad you found somewhere you like, Jen! (And let me know if I can answer any Shaker questions, though it sounds like your neighbors are a great resource!) Best of luck with the final sale details and the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland