Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 01:00 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times

Advertisements

Moving has lots of hidden costs you don't think about - not just the time to pack, but you tend to have to pay for boxes, and tape, and probably movers (or just pizza to talk your friends into helping). Plus there's a chance you lose your deposit at your current place, utilities swap-over, etc. etc. And it's a lot of time. [not to mention dealing with mail forwarding and address changes at a 1000 places]

That said, it can be good at forcing you to get rid of clutter you don't need any more, though often it just ends up in a box not to be seen until you move again in a few years.

Unless there's a major personal advantage to moving, if you're pretty happy where you are I'd tend to stay put.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 05:33 PM

6 posts, read 15,622 times
Well, I think I decided on just moving. For some reason, and this may be silly, I'm sort of nervous and thinking "did I just move my daughter from a nicer neighborhood and place to an ok place all because of amenities?" Like did I just put her safety in jeopardy?

Again, I want to move up and not downward. But according to most of you it's a lateral move of sorts.

I guess she just needs to be aware of her surroundings, maybe carry mace, etc.

So that's that. We'll see how this goes.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to offer your support and input! It's appreciated more than you know!!

Old 03-21-2014, 07:44 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Parma is a nice suburb. I'm not sure what people said here to make you think your daughter needs to carry mace.
There may be NOT SO WEALTHY people living nearby, but you're not going to get shot...

Old 03-21-2014, 08:45 AM

6 posts, read 15,622 times
Thanks Peregrine and everyone else!

The reason I mention mace and am nervous is because I've browsed several other posts regarding Parma and mostly everyone mentions that the "crime" is near Brookpark and the GM plant which is only 0.8 miles from where I'll be living so that is a tad concerning.

If I were further down in Parma/Parma Heights I'd probably be less worried.

You are all helping me feel much better though and my anxiety is starting to lessen so please keep the rational/logical posts coming!

Last edited by serenity4794; 03-21-2014 at 09:56 AM..

Old 03-21-2014, 10:57 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
What are the crimes? Petty theft? Public intoxication? The statistics are pretty clear. Parma is very safe. I've lived in an adjacent community for years and have several friends who live in Parma. Not one of them is even remotely concerned about violent crime. Even the outboard naysayers can't produce a single alarming incident except for one very isolated incident that happened almost 20 years ago at Parmatown Mall. While tragic, it isn't even remotely indicative of day-to-day life there. Parma's biggest problem, like a lot of older suburbs, is that it peaked in the 70's. Now, it's just a large "ho hum" place to be. But, that doesn't make it unsafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland