Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 06:58 AM

5 posts, read 12,413 times

Advertisements

We're in our 30's with 3 kids ages 4 and under and are moving to cleveland this summer. We need to buy a house and are completely unfamiliar with OH, so any help would be greatly appreciated (b/c of kids and work, we can't fly up there & explore area; i'll have one day with a realtor, that's all). here's what we like in a neighborhood:

-can walk to unique/small businesses and cafes
-community feel where neighbors reach out to each other (rather than transient students area where nobody is invested)
-a main street with sidewalk, w/in walking distance of my home, where i can stroll to run errands: drug store, bank, dry cleaners, milk
-a library with designated children's area and programming (weekly storytime)
-a nearby playground where mom's connect/network and find out all about local resources,happenings
-excellent public schools (k-12), with private schools not too far away (just in case)
-farmer's market
-public transportation
-liberal residents
-quiet in the evening and, of course, safe

from what i've read on this website, fernway neighborhood of shaker heights fits the bill. i'm wondering about onaway, boulevard, & mercer schools/neighborhoods and trying to figure out if they would suit us more or less than fernway. i'd like to look at homes in these other areas, but don't want to waste time with realtor if they don't fit the bill as much as fernway. our oldest son is a sensitive artist type and a large public school will be a challenge for him, so we are hoping to put him in the most nurturing of the shaker public schools.

more important than the house is the neighborhood/school fit. again, we are doing this move blind, so we would love any guidance you might have the time to give.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 07:54 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,216,423 times
Sounds like you want Lakewood, Cleveland Heights, or Shaker Heights. Personally I prefer Lakewood since I think there is more to do there and it is easier to get downtown from there. Although, if you work on the east side then the other two would be more convenient. Judging from you requirements all would be good choices.

Lakewood is on the lake on the west side of the city. It is overall the most pedestrian friendly of the three and has good schools. Not really any areas to avoid, but the southeast corner of Lakewood is not as well taken care of.

Shaker Heights has some very upscale neighborhoods and good schools. It is served by two light-rail lines, but does not really have much for commercial streets you can walk to. Parts of south Shaker Hts can be a bit suspect since it borders a rough Cleveland neighborhood. It is generally all very nice north of Van Aken Blvd.

Cleveland Hts ranges from upscale (neighborhoods along Fairmont Blvd), to trendy & urban (Coventry Village), to a bit sketchy (north areas bordering East Cleveland). You probably want to send to your kids to a private school if you live here, at least if they are beyond elementary school.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:51 AM

50 posts, read 169,402 times
We just moved to Fernway, after 1 year renting in Cleveland Heights. Also came from East (NYC). It seems like it would be great for 3 kids 4 and under -- our block, at least, is *filled* with younger children and it is really quite amazing the degree to which they play together in all the front yards, the bigger kids include the littler kids, etc. Our son has already met a lot of local kids. We knew of course that Fernway has the reputation as the neighborhood where mostly-professional couples come to raise their kids, but are actually surprised at just how much of that we see (still in our first month there). I've been home a number of weekdays lately (painting, etc.) and it seems like there is a mix of kids with a parent home during the day and dual-income families with young kids in daycare/preschool, though probably more the latter (and some good schools/centers for that are close). Shaker and Cleveland Heights also seem like the towns (partly because of their slightly more urban style, and partly because of proximity to the Clinic, universities, etc.) where a really disproportionate part of the population that isn't native to the region lives. Since Cleveland on the whole suffers from being *really* insular (even the upper-middle-class professionals here are overwhelmingly natives, raised and educated here, etc.) it is nice, I think, to be in a neighborhood where lots of other people have also lived in lots of other places.

The other Shaker neighborhoods you mention don't seem quite as kid-oriented as Fernway, but are also nice. Onaway is close to Shaker Square. Cleveland Heights (and Lakewood) actually have better walkability to certain kinds of retail (coffee places, restaurants) -- Shaker is somewhat under-retailed for historical reasons -- but all of Fernway is walkable to a small commercial center area with a big supermarket, central library, hardware store, etc. And there is a streetcar close at hand that goes to Shaker Square (and, ultimately, to downtown Cleveland). Boulevard (except right near Shaker Square) and Mercer (especially) would be notably less walkable.

I'd agree that Lakewood and/or Rocky River would be the other area to consider - we were committed to staying on the east side because it is closer to work for us and is the side of town on which we'd already spent a year establishing a sense of place.

Last edited by CALarrick; 03-25-2010 at 10:41 AM..

Old 03-25-2010, 10:02 AM

I'm not really in a position (our son is 3) to respond regarding the differences between the Shaker elementary schools in terms of your son, but fwiw Fernway is the smallest of the elementaries in town.

Also, for Fernway, which it sounds like you've already been nudged toward:

-can walk to unique/small businesses and cafes (not as much as I'd like in a perfect world, but yes there's some... good for the area. Parts of Cleveland Heights are actually better for this though.)

-community feel where neighbors reach out to each other (rather than transient students area where nobody is invested) (EXTREMELY... there is some turnover, which comes with being the neighborhood that appeals to non-Cleveland-native professionals, but not anything like a 'student-y' or even 'college town' level)

-a main street with sidewalk, w/in walking distance of my home, where i can stroll to run errands: drug store, bank, dry cleaners, milk (yeah, these basics are all (easy) walking distance from all of Fernway)

-a library with designated children's area and programming (weekly storytime) (a nice, big, library very close that has all these things)

-a nearby playground where mom's connect/network and find out all about local resources,happenings (suspect so, but too new to the area to know myself - there's a large playground near the library... the Shaker Heights Family Center is also pretty close (moderate walk, short drive, couple of RTA stops) and has weekend group play, etc., as well as hosting both a daycare and a preschool)

-excellent public schools (k-12), with private schools not too far away (just in case) (both of those things - test scores aren't as high as smaller, more homogenous, more outer suburbs but the academic offerings are excellent, schools are very well funded (obv. a double-edge there for the homeowner), and the schools are a magnet that pulls families into the neighborhood. Lots of private schools close at hand, too)

-farmer's market (there's a big farmer's market in Shaker Square, just across the city line in Cleveland - if you are tolerant of long walks it is certainly good-weather walkable and a super short drive or streetcar ride)

-public transportation (streetcar lines on Shaker and Van Aken boulevards - the latter of which is no more than a quarter mile from any of Fernway)

-liberal residents (very)

-quiet in the evening and, of course, safe (seems so so far - houses very close to Van Aken would be less quiet obviously - stats. for safety are good, and neighbors really do seem to keep an eye out, too (in fact a neighbor approached to make sure things were ok when I was over in the evening doing the pre-close walk-through on our house with our agent)

Old 03-25-2010, 11:57 AM

155 posts, read 460,300 times
CALarrick nails Shaker pretty well. The only discernible downside would be a high tax rate. But, in return you get a fairly idyllic town with great schools and great services. To some it is not worth it. To many it is.
You might also want to consider Chagrin Falls also (on your list it is missing liberals, public transportation, and it has a possibly a longer commute -depending on your destination). And it is very expensive.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:16 PM

35 posts, read 144,279 times
With out knowing info like income range. Where you're going to work. And weather you are having your kids go to puplic, private or home school; there are a few areas on the east side I think might work well for you.
If your Middleclass, then you might want to consider Willoughby. This area's downtown meets most of you disired points. Schools are good. The downdown had quaint little store, resteraunt, a star bucks and a library. You will still be with in reasonable proxsimity to large department stores, malls, ect. But the downtown area feels very quaint. Lots of people out walking. And a bonus- because it's Lake county and not Cuyahogga, lower taxes. Both property/ income taxes and sales tax. Close to rt 2 & 90. Mins from rt 271. Low crime. Family friendly. Very large metro park with in 15 mins away. And local, smaller areas too.
The next area is even more quaint. Chagrin Falls. Charming is the opperative word here. Upper middle to lower upper class cost of living. Mostly small resteraunts & stores. I can't recall if they have a library in town. Also the sweetest water fall in the heart of town. Not near any freeways. But if its the way of life your after, very worth while. Very good school system.
The last one is Gates Mills. Upper class. Exclusive. Has the charm of a New England type of feel. Mayfield schools, which are good. Here you'll find charm, quiet, refinement. Horses and stables.
But if your willing to not live in the heart of these kinds of communities then consider Mayfield Heights, Lyndhurst or Beachwood. They don't have the quaint shopping, but they do have great communities that are safe, quiet and family friendly. Good schools. 30 mins from Downtown Cleveland. (City driving) And you can always head to legacy village. It has that kind of feel. And in the sunner they have free outdoor concerts. People bring a picnick and a blanket or lawnchair and enjoy the evening.
Greater Cleveland is very diverse. There is something for everyone. But you can't always fing everything with-in a single town, but you can get some or most of it)
Good luck with your move. Feel free to email me with any questions.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALarrick View Post
I'm not really in a position (our son is 3) to respond regarding the differences between the Shaker elementary schools in terms of your son, but fwiw Fernway is the smallest of the elementaries in town.

Also, for Fernway, which it sounds like you've already been nudged toward:

-can walk to unique/small businesses and cafes (not as much as I'd like in a perfect world, but yes there's some... good for the area. Parts of Cleveland Heights are actually better for this though.)

-community feel where neighbors reach out to each other (rather than transient students area where nobody is invested) (EXTREMELY... there is some turnover, which comes with being the neighborhood that appeals to non-Cleveland-native professionals, but not anything like a 'student-y' or even 'college town' level)

-a main street with sidewalk, w/in walking distance of my home, where i can stroll to run errands: drug store, bank, dry cleaners, milk (yeah, these basics are all (easy) walking distance from all of Fernway)

-a library with designated children's area and programming (weekly storytime) (a nice, big, library very close that has all these things)

-a nearby playground where mom's connect/network and find out all about local resources,happenings (suspect so, but too new to the area to know myself - there's a large playground near the library... the Shaker Heights Family Center is also pretty close (moderate walk, short drive, couple of RTA stops) and has weekend group play, etc., as well as hosting both a daycare and a preschool)

-excellent public schools (k-12), with private schools not too far away (just in case) (both of those things - test scores aren't as high as smaller, more homogenous, more outer suburbs but the academic offerings are excellent, schools are very well funded (obv. a double-edge there for the homeowner), and the schools are a magnet that pulls families into the neighborhood. Lots of private schools close at hand, too)

-farmer's market (there's a big farmer's market in Shaker Square, just across the city line in Cleveland - if you are tolerant of long walks it is certainly good-weather walkable and a super short drive or streetcar ride)

-public transportation (streetcar lines on Shaker and Van Aken boulevards - the latter of which is no more than a quarter mile from any of Fernway)

-liberal residents (very)

-quiet in the evening and, of course, safe (seems so so far - houses very close to Van Aken would be less quiet obviously - stats. for safety are good, and neighbors really do seem to keep an eye out, too (in fact a neighbor approached to make sure things were ok when I was over in the evening doing the pre-close walk-through on our house with our agent)
CALarrick:

thank you for your reply. i found it very helpful. we also lived in nyc before we moved to rhode island. wondering if you can recommend any nursery schools for my 4 yr old. i know most schools are already filled up for september, but i'd still like to give it a shot so that my son can make some friends.

thanks!

Old 03-28-2010, 10:25 AM

155 posts, read 460,300 times
If you are in Shaker (or nearby) check Carol Nursery School and Parent's Day Out (http://www.plymouthchurchucc.org/pdo.asp - broken link)
PDO is non-denominational, but it is held in a church.
We have had experiences with both and liked them both very much.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyF667 View Post
If you are in Shaker (or nearby) check Carol Nursery School and Parent's Day Out (http://www.plymouthchurchucc.org/pdo.asp - broken link)
PDO is non-denominational, but it is held in a church.
We have had experiences with both and liked them both very much.
thanks andy! when you say non-denominational re:PDO, does that mean it is secular (zero religion taught).

also, have you heard anything about shaker heights cooperative schools? my son currently attends a co-op in RI and loves it.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:09 AM

Hi,

I'm less sure about "nursery schools" if I'm correct that that's the wording for the part-day places -- I'm more familiar with a few of the full-time daycare options in the area. ECEC (Early Childhood Enrichment Center) is in the same building as Carol Nursery. There's one called True Sisters (a secular center run by a Jewish charity) on Fairmount in Cleveland Heights, but close to Shaker Heights. The only one we called that I recall having a waiting list when we moved to the area was the JCC in Beachwood. If one or both of you will work in University Circle, the Cleveland Music School Settlement has both part-time and full-time preschool programs (I think these will eventually move to the former Coventry Elementary in Cleveland Heights). The other ones I expect would have waiting lists are places like Ruffing Montessori and the others that are attached to private elementary schools - because families looking to do longer-term private school in those places will be looking to start pre-K. We didn't look at the church-based options, either, but I have met very secular families in the area (i.e. people I'd expect to be pretty allergic to any significant religious instruction) using church-based preschools/daycares -- though I don't know a lot of details because we didn't look into them at all (in part because there seemed to be plenty of other options).

I'll send you a 'direct message' with more detail and where we sent our son and what we think of it.

Competition to get a slot somewhere good did not seem bad here -- certainly *nothing* like Manhattan, but I suspect not even like anywhere else on the east coast. There were options - and when we looked we were looking for an immediate opening, too.

Oh, and this one at least appears to be a co-op school: http://www.coopnurseryschool.org/philosophy.html (broken link)

Last edited by CALarrick; 03-29-2010 at 08:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland