Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2014, 04:46 PM

5 posts, read 7,708 times

Advertisements

HI!!!

I am relocating to Cleveland for a promotion in April. My boyfriend is from Cleveland and his entire family lives on the east side (Cleveland Heights, South Euclid, Lyndhurst, Mayfield Heights) My new position requires me to live west of I-77. We are having the hardest time finding any listings for rental homes. How do residents in Cleveland find rental properties? I can't believe that there are only the same 20 to 30 properties that are on Craigslist, Trulia, Zillow and in the Plain Dealer in the entire Cleveland metro area. We are looking for the following:

1. West of I-77
2. 3-4 Bedrooms if a house. We are looking to look at 2 bedroom apartments if we absolutely have to (we prefer a house but are having no luck with finding one).
3. 2 FULL bathrooms (this is a MUST HAVE)
4. Laundry in the house or building (MUST HAVE)
5. Diversity in the neighborhood
6. Close to a grocery store, gas station, a park and maybe a restaurant or two (we don't like the suburbia, isolated, have to drive to go anywhere, feeling)
7. I have a daughter who will be in 8th grade for the 2014-2015 school year. She is a performing arts student specializing in dance and drama. I'm not sure if I can get her into a performing arts school because the deadline has already passed for auditions but if she could go to a magnet or specialty school or a B or better school that would work for us.
8. We are willing to spend a max of 1350 a month for a house with what we need and up to $1000 for an apartment/townhouse/condo/loft if we don't find a house in time.

My step dad is also from Cleveland and he thinks that the Ohio City, Detroit Shoreway or Tremont areas are good for us, but there are little to no listings in those areas...everything is on the east side. I have to have an address by May 1st so my time is dwindling rapidly. I've called a couple of realtors and they were no help and never sent me any listings. There has to be a more effective way to find a rental home in Cleveland!!! Help!!!

Frustrated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 07:49 PM

372 posts, read 590,712 times
Try Lakewood.

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/apa/4375556043.html

Old 03-28-2014, 12:25 AM

493 posts, read 637,331 times
The east side isn't that bad of a drive to the west side. Try somewhere on the east side. It's cheaper and there's more options.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:00 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,828,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
The east side isn't that bad of a drive to the west side. Try somewhere on the east side. It's cheaper and there's more options.

Reading comprehension fail. She has to live west of 77. It is a requirement of her job.

Lakewood has the most rentals and the schools are okayish so that's probably your best bet. You should be able to get most of your criteria, but may not be able to be as concerned with a great performing arts program (no clue what Lakewood has) or (gasp!) be okay with 1.5 BA.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:35 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,361,124 times
^lakewood is a good choice. Also try parma, plenty of houses and apt. Buildings with 3 bedrooms.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:55 AM

101 posts, read 203,431 times
Lakewood is the best - take the shoreway through downtown and either use I-90 or Chester to Cedar Roads.
Plenty of rentals in terms of houses and apartments.
Schools are better then they had been.
Lakewood is diverse, cultured, has plenty of artsy people.
Good restaurants and walkable.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:54 PM

185 posts, read 247,182 times
You should really look into Tremont, Ohio City, and Detroit-Shoreway (especially) as your dad suggested. Detroit-Shoreway has the Near West theatre where they have summer theatre programs for kids. Battery Park might have 3 bedrooms available and it's close to the lake. Also the Cleveland Metroparks took over Edgewater (city/beach park west of downtown); they are doing a great job in keeping the area clean and safe.

Detroit-Shoreway has a couple of neighborhood restaurants and bars and a movie theatre. It is also close to W. 117th, where there is a Target and Giant Eagle. The neighborhood is up and coming and very walkable.

Look into the Cleveland Public School District (cmsd.org) they have both middle and high art schools. Constellation schools (charter) has a middle art school as well.

I don't think of Parma as a place that the OP is looking to move to when I read that description of their ideal neighborhood.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:59 PM

185 posts, read 247,182 times
check out these links:

Detroit Shoreway - Detroit Shoreway Homepage

Edgewater Beach | Cleveland Metroparks

Near West Theatre

http://www.shorewayliving.com/#lifestyle

Battery Park

Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland