Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2007, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 15,237 times

Advertisements

Hi I need some HELPFUL information. My son is a felon and will be getting out of prison in four months for drugs. This is his second time for the same offense and because he was unable to get work after the first time he ended up in trouble again. Is there anyone out there that has any information on business that will hire felons. Its really tough for those who DO want to get their lives together. We live in the Akron area.
THANK YOU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 10:13 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,769,143 times
Default Here is some info...

You'll have to go down the list here to find specifically what you need, but there is hope. You can hook up with some of these folks prior to your sons release and can have a good sense of who might be helpful. I don't like repeat criminals, or first timers for that matter, thats why there are people like me who like to reach out.
Maybe by giving you this info, I am doing my part.

Good luck and best wishes. I may be moving back to Akron to watch our house. Not talking from experience, but from what I've seen, there is a lot for a young person to fall back into the "system" time and again. It's not pretty. Be careful who he hangs out with. If he screws up again, it's bye-bye time.
There's talk about a three strikes law, statewide. Hopefully, that'll make him think twice, and shake like a dog crapping razor blades running home to you if he's around anyone wanting to do anything Illegal

Three strikes provision article, prison food for thought:
Three-strikes provision in Ohio law could double sentences for repeat offenders - Cleveland Metro News – The Latest Breaking News, Photos and Stories from The Plain Dealer

Scroll down this next link for names and numbers for spiritual and employment help:

Ex-Offender Resource Assistance (http://www.infolineinc.org/uresults.asp - broken link)

Here are some articles from CORE, a recidivism reduction plan. All articles are in pdf format. You can download Acrobat Reader here to view pdf content if you need.

Adobe - Reader

..and here's the CORE site...
Offender Reentry

The Reentry Coordinator for this region is:
John Geras
Akron Region
Ocasek Government Building
161 South High Street, Suite 104
Akron, Ohio 44308
Phone (330) 643-1472
Fax (330) 643-3005
john.geras@odrc.state.oh.us

Here's a very good article from the Canton Repository about a horse farm that helps troubled youth...not sure how old your child is, maybe this can help.

cantonrep.com

Good Luck!

Last edited by newmex; 12-09-2007 at 10:54 AM..

Old 12-09-2007, 11:06 AM

2 posts, read 15,237 times
Thank you NEWMEX for all the information. I am in the process of reading the literature but wanted to send you a quick note of appreciation. My son has tried to get drug addiction help BOTH times he has been in prison but he was and is there for only a year and was told there is a long waiting list and he just won't be there long enough to get help believe it or not they told him this time after interviewing him he didn't need help. Depression runs in this family and this kid is very depressed but would never seek help for the depression up until this last incarceration. He has finally agreed he needs help and hopefully will get it. I know that medical help won't fix everything but its a start. Thank you again

Last edited by eye insist; 12-09-2007 at 11:23 AM..

Old 12-19-2007, 06:56 AM

3 posts, read 15,012 times
Default Jobs for Felons

You might want check out the Job Center at 1040 East Talmadge Ave. Akron Ohio 44310. they can help with finding employment. you have to ask for specific assistance for someone with a felony to get extra help with job seeking.
The Akron area Urban League has a employment program as well and they are located at 250 East Market St. Akron Oh 44308 (330) 424-3101

There is a Citizen Circle that meets at Urban Ounce of Prevention 1501 South Hawkins Ave. Akron Oh that also provides links and advice. they meet every 2nd and 4th Tuesday from 3pm to 5pm.

Most of all, You need to get ready for employment, 2 forms of ID, Drug free, Grooming and Appearence, Resume/Application information and most of all, positive attitude. Felons do gain employment... I work with folks who have securred employment quickly after release and they tell me that if you only put some effort in to finding employment what can you expect.....

Good luck.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 6,019 times
i have a petty theft misdemeanor i work in retail is their any way i can get a job with that on my record

Old 02-18-2010, 01:11 PM

3 posts, read 15,012 times
You can get a job with that kind of record. i work with folks comming home from prison with much worse records and about 40% obtain employment within 1yr. what you have to do is to develop a way to explain what happened that caused you to pick up that charge. was it at work? why did it happen? then you need to describe how you feel about it. Are you proud or ashamed of it? and lastly you need to get an employer to se that you have taken steps to help avoid that situation again. what is different about you now?
If you get an employer to believe in you and believe that you are a good person that made a bad choice as opposed to a bad person you have a great chance in obtaining employment.
Bottem line you have to sell your record right along with your skills. make them believe in you. but be sure you believe in you first.
good luck.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 8,256 times
The problem or question that I have is. . Can a person with a felony on his/her record find a good job or start a career, not some minimum wage job with high turn over. With schooling can a person with 1 felony become a lawyer, doctor, psychologist, social worker, accountant, teacher, management such as in human resources, secretary, administrator, or work in hospitals (not janitor)? I mean a actual career or is it hopeless. Most felons can't even get a job at Walmart.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:20 AM

31 posts, read 68,613 times
Does your son have a skill/talent that he can use for self-employment? Perhaps a plumber, HVAC technician, etc.

While still difficult, if he possesses a special skill that he can market, going into business for himself might be a solution. At least he won't have a boss that "looks down" on him for past history. He'll just have the obstacle of being successful, instead of being successful + trying to overcome a bad past/prove himself to someone that doesn't believe in him in the first place.

Alternatively, does anyone you know own a business? It might be easier for a friend/family member to hire someone they know with troubled issues than someone that doesn't know them.

Lastly, and I hate to say this, but would it be better for him to move and start fresh? Yes, the criminal record will haunt him, but he may be able to break free of the current bad influences that surround him.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:11 AM

246 posts, read 476,112 times
Has your son ever considered going to a trade school or obtaining a commercial drivers license? I know a few ex-felons who drive trucks and a few others working the trades. If he doesn't want to go the trade school route, there are many small business owners that don't even do background checks when they hire for manual laborers. Some areas to look are landscapers, concrete, lawn sprinkler installation, drywall etc.

The main issue is that he'll have to start at the bottom of the ladder and if it isn't union that means $7 - $10/hr and for some that just isn't enough to take them away from commiting crimes and getting the easy money. But once he gets his foot in the door and gets some experience and he keeps his nose clean he'll have more mobilty within the field he choses and can make a decent living or even start his own business.

Last edited by ECBeastor; 09-01-2011 at 12:37 PM..

Old 09-15-2011, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 8,256 times
To start a business you have to have money, not just a skill. You also have to have customers, and a sense of how a business works. People act as if you can just start a business in a drop of a dime. If it was that easy everyone would do it. Some people don't like manual labor jobs or process a skill or trade. So what's left? Can a felon go to school and become a lawyer, accountant, doctor, etc? What's possible and what isn't? Need some info, because it could help eye insist son and many others. Need facts and not opinions. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: