Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 12:49 PM

493 posts, read 639,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Cleverfield, thanks for that...I am a native Clevelander, currently residing in SW Ohio, and my wife and I are leaning STRONGLY toward returning to Cleveland soon (next say 3-5 months)

I stop here often to see what's going on in the old hometown, and with all due respect to the OP, what I DON'T need is some person sitting in a suburb with a pirahna-filled moat, a drawbridge, and bowmen with flaming arrows lining the walls, constantly nattering on about Solon and Beachwood and points east, as if the core city of Cleveland is some evil, ghetto-ridden black hole waiting to suck in the unwary

Newsflash...I wouldn't be coming back here if I bought in to all that negative-nancyism, trust me on that...are the winters in Cleveland a big hairy booger-bear? You bet, because I lived through many of 'em...but I think the reward outwighs the risk, and I know there are like minded folk who share my outlook

If you want to be some overgrown Chicken Little yelling 'buck-awk! buck-awk! Cleveland drools! The suburbs rule!' then knock yourself out, but I don't buy all that hot air...whether I buy in the core-city, or even an inner-ring burb like Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights, South Euclid, or even Warrensville Heights (y'know---some of those places that are behind that wall protecting Solon and Beachwood from the encroaching ghetto-creep {give me a break with that junk, already]), then I will do so because I believe in those places and want to see them succeed

And I won't be stopped by folks who have some diaper-wetting fear of anything/anyone not like them
If you haven't noticed, some people are moving back to the city of Cleveland, but in very very small numbers. Less that 100 people per year. These people are from the suburbs and are moving to Cleveland. Are they moving into the older houses? No. They are moving into the same types of houses as in Solon and Beachwood. Those great McMansions. They would have never moved to Cleveland if those houses weren't there. People like to live in the suburbs, so the only option I can see is bringing the suburbs to Cleveland by building 4-5 bedroom 3-4 bathroom 3000+ square foot mini mansions on the streets of places like Hough and Glenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 12:51 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
building 4-5 bedroom 3-4 bathroom 3000+ square foot mini mansions on the streets of places like Hough and Glenville.
Lol

Old 04-21-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
Lol
No I'm serious. This has already happened and is seeing positive results.

All of these houses might look like they're in Solon, but they're all in Hough. These types of houses are being built on the land where multiple abandoned inner city houses once stood. These houses are worth around $300,000 or more, usually the same or a higher value than one in Solon.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:00 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,126,326 times
Quote:
If you haven't noticed, some people are moving back to the city of Cleveland, but in very very small numbers. Less that 100 people per year. These people are from the suburbs and are moving to Cleveland. Are they moving into the older houses? No. They are moving into the same types of houses as in Solon and Beachwood. Those great McMansions. They would have never moved to Cleveland if those houses weren't there. People like to live in the suburbs, so the only option I can see is bringing the suburbs to Cleveland by building 4-5 bedroom 3-4 bathroom 3000+ square foot mini mansions on the streets of places like Hough and Glenville.
< deep breath>

Old 04-21-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
< deep breath>
Look at my previous post, go on Google Maps and plot random street view points in Hough, and do your research on building newer bigger houses in Hough before you start ranting.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Look at my previous post, go on Google Maps and plot random street view points in Hough, and do your research on building newer bigger houses in Hough before you start ranting.
Honestly, do you think that the majority of people moving back to Cleveland are moving to those houses? Really. The majority of the "100 people moving to Cleveland a year" are moving to the 20 or so houses they built in Hough. I have never in my life met someone who stated their opinions as if they were facts more than you do. Please, if you make some outrageous claim, post a source will you? I don't have time to go looking up sources to debunk your misinformation.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Honestly, do you think that the majority of people moving back to Cleveland are moving to those houses? Really. The majority of the "100 people moving to Cleveland a year" are moving to the 20 or so houses they built in Hough. I have never in my life met someone who stated their opinions as if they were facts more than you do. Please, if you make some outrageous claim, post a source will you? I don't have time to go looking up sources to debunk your misinformation.
Gladly.

Sustainable Cleveland | Together, we're building a thriving green city on a blue lake
[vimeo]50708797[/vimeo]
2010 Sustainable Cleveland 2019 Video on Vimeo
Rust Wire » Blog Archive » On Being a White Person Living in Cleveland’s Hough Neighborhood
Anywhere on Zillow
Anywhere on Google Images
Anywhere on Google Maps

Old 04-21-2014, 01:26 PM

Nowhere in these sources does it say anything about less than 100 people moving to Cleveland per year, or that none of them are moving to older houses, and they're all moving to McMansions. You won't find a source for that information, because what you're saying is completely false. Please, do us all a favor and don't act like you know things that you clearly don't.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:27 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,432 times
Default Okay...Gonna Come At You Differently This Time

Quote:
I understand what you're saying...when my wife and I go 'house hunting' online though, we look inside the core-city and also in the inner-ring burbs

I understand that you are more of a suburban-oriented person, but that shouldn't mean that anyone who wants to live in the core-city should have a mental examination...I was bron and raised in Mt. Pleasant, and attended Cleveland schools, and I turned out OK LOL

There ARE folk who are buying up some of the distressed houses we see, and are either living in them or flipping them for a profit...my wife and I aren't shy about a little hard work, and the prices on some homes we've seen are nothing short of irresistible...are there nice new homes in Hough and Glenville? You bet, and it does my heart good to see them...but you need to let go of the notion that everyone moving back into Cleveland wants ONLY those homes---and that 'people LIKE to live in the suburbs'

There are folk out there who belive that the core-city can be a vibrant place once again, and they are 'voting with their feet' by buying homes in areas other than Hough and Glenville, on the East AND West sides of town

Old 04-21-2014, 01:53 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
The average house in Cleveland was built in 1924. They were built for the people moving in for the mills. They are not fine homes built by master craftsmen. They were built quickly and cheaply.

The cost of rehabbing one of those houses would be way too expensive. No one would ever buy it at that price.

The poster that wanted to bring in jobs AND ban new construction. How do you think that would work? New construction adds jobs. New Housing Starts is a measurement. It is considered a good one, if not the best for real estate.

Demolish and then demolish more. Give the land and tax breaks to whoever will build new on those lots. It would probably be only 2 or 3% of the lots but better than nothing.

The amount of people that want to rehab rather than build new amazes me. It has only worked in a handful of places and Cleveland, Youngstown, and other rust belt cities aren't on that list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland