Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 05:36 PM

3,414 posts, read 5,126,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
Just because there aren't as many one location stores and restaurants in a place like Solon, doesn't mean that it's a bad and boring place. A short drive to a place like Beachwood or Cleveland Heights is a good way to spend a day.
But it's a lot nicer not to have to drive to these places, to actually live in the bustling diverse community. You're still not understanding. Not everyone shares your values. Not everyone who can afford to move to the suburbs does. Cities have things to offer that suburbs can't, and some people prefer to live in that environment. I understand that you're not one of those people. That's fine, but try to open your mind to the fact that other people have different values than you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 06:36 PM

493 posts, read 639,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
But it's a lot nicer not to have to drive to these places, to actually live in the bustling diverse community. You're still not understanding. Not everyone shares your values. Not everyone who can afford to move to the suburbs does. Cities have things to offer that suburbs can't, and some people prefer to live in that environment. I understand that you're not one of those people. That's fine, but try to open your mind to the fact that other people have different values than you do.
Even if you were to live in Cleveland Heights, unless you lived on the side streets off Lee Road you would have to drive to a restaurant on Cedar and Lee. Cleveland Heights is a big SUBURB with big HOUSES and STRIP MALLS and BIG BRAND STORES. Sound's like Solon to me. In fact, Solon doesn't have any strip malls but Cleveland Heights has Severance Center which is full of big brand stores. Hmm. I don't even want to bring up University Square. People have been saying things like "Cleveland Heights is an inner city neighborhood but Solon is a far out suburb and Cleveland Heights has more to do and it's more bustling and looks nicer." But in reality, Solon isn't too different than Cleveland Heights, except for being newer. The reason I'm expressing Solon more is because of this Cleveland Heights remark.

Solon is in fact a bustling diverse community. Lots of traffic (The good kind), lots of people of different cultural backgrounds, people walking from the city park to Starbucks and ice cream (A 3 minute walk) and plenty of one location stores and restaurants. Jim's Kitchen, The Tavern, Saaj Lebanese, 43 Bistro, Benny's and lots of other places.

My kids and I usually ride our bikes for like 10 minutes to get ice cream. A 10 minute bike ride from our house is pretty good. And we don't live too close to downtown Solon.

Anyways, I like Solon. For some reason, that's not ok for some people.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:57 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Quote:
Even if you were to live in Cleveland Heights, unless you lived on the side streets off Lee Road you would have to drive to a restaurant on Cedar and Lee. Cleveland Heights is a big SUBURB with big HOUSES and STRIP MALLS and BIG BRAND STORES. Sound's like Solon to me. In fact, Solon doesn't have any strip malls but Cleveland Heights has Severance Center which is full of big brand stores. Hmm. I don't even want to bring up University Square. People have been saying things like "Cleveland Heights is an inner city neighborhood but Solon is a far out suburb and Cleveland Heights has more to do and it's more bustling and looks nicer." But in reality, Solon isn't too different than Cleveland Heights, except for being newer. The reason I'm expressing Solon more is because of this Cleveland Heights remark.

Solon is in fact a bustling diverse community. Lots of traffic (The good kind), lots of people of different cultural backgrounds, people walking from the city park to Starbucks and ice cream (A 3 minute walk) and plenty of one location stores and restaurants. Jim's Kitchen, The Tavern, Saaj Lebanese, 43 Bistro, Benny's and lots of other places.

My kids and I usually ride our bikes for like 10 minutes to get ice cream. A 10 minute bike ride from our house is pretty good. And we don't live too close to downtown Solon.

Anyways, I like Solon. For some reason, that's not ok for some people.
Nobody cares about your Solon life. Most of the issues people have with you is your made up facts based on rumors based on hearsay based on what feels right to you. You are extremely uninformed about most things outside of the borders of Solon. I know you'll disagree, but to the rest of us, it's pretty obvious.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:15 PM

3,414 posts, read 5,126,326 times
Agreed, I have no problem with the fact that you like Solon Reretarff, but some of the things you say are just so far off base.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:36 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,709 times
Quote:
Some of the stuff is the same. With rare exception, to function in our society we all have to (or almost have to) shop at a big box store or strip mall sometimes, but

There's no Coventry in Solon.

There is little to no (good) architecture in Solon.

Are there really any walkable neighborhoods in Solon?

I've never faulted you for being proud of where you live. And I think you know your Solon (and Beachwood) stats.

As far as suburbs go Solon is a nice place. It has great schools. Plenty of people would be/are happy to live there. Solon does that type of suburb well. And as you mentioned, it's a bit more diverse than some of its peers, which is great. I would be more inclined to live in Solon than Brecksville just based on that.

Where people get frustrated is your off the cuff remarks about the areas you aren't as familiar with. I spend much, much less time in Cuyahoga County than the rest of you and it's pretty clear that is the case even to me. But I think you're getting better about being more thoughtful with your commentary.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:38 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Agreed, I have no problem with the fact that you like Solon Reretarff, but some of the things you say are just so far off base.
Yeah, I have to agree with this. Even a person like me who lives out of state and just visits friends in Cleveland can tell that some of the things you say are way off base. Annoyingly so. After awhile I feel I have to stop lurking just to set something straight--and that's quite an accomplishment to get me to post here. 99% of the time I'd rather be an observer, since I don't live in the area and don't feel I have much to add (but I do enjoy reading about it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland